BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a very nice 2007 X3 for my daughter. I want to add the new aftermarket Onstar product that came out this year...which is a rear view mirror replacement with the onstar technology built in. I have a few questions.

The Onstar people themselves are useless in terms of advice for installing in this car. They defer to the Best-Buy installers. The installer I spoke with at the local BB said it could work in this car, but he is not sure what I will be sacrificing by replacing the OEM mirror. And that is where my questions begin:

1. The OEM mirror does not have the homelink on it, so no loss there
2. It does of course have the clown nose on it, and the flashing red light when the alarm is supposedly armed...but I have not been able to confirm that there even is an alarm (have not been able to trigger it if there really is one..would be interested in an tip there to test it). And, assuming it does have one, would removing that mirror and or light fetch up the anti-theft system? I do not care if I there is no flashing light.
3. I think there is rain sensing wipers, but again would rather have he onstar so could let those go.

Is there any other reason that removing that OEM mirror would be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Do not replace the OEM interior mirror with an aftermarket. You will lose the automatic headlight control (the headlights might default to on all the time), the rain sensor, and the auto-dimming mirrors if so equipped, and like most German cars, everything is wired into interconnected modules so other items may show faults as well.

Does the X3 come with the BMW Assist/SOS button next to the moonroof? If so, could probably have BMW Assist be reactivated as long as you pay the subscription.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the automatic headlight control to which you refer? It does not have auto dimming mirror feature so no loss there. The rain sensor I do not care about (would rather have the onstar features than that feature). It does not have the SOS button, so cannot add BMW assist. So, the one point you bring up however is that I know some of these things are so interconnected that it can screw up something else, which is really the heart of my question. What am I risking screwing up?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
What is the automatic headlight control to which you refer?
When light switch is in the A position (to the left) headlights and taillights are switched on (and off) while driving depending on ambient light.

On BMW Assist, I thought all X3's came equipped with the wiring and buttons for that?

Sounds to me that the OnStar route comes with too many downsides, and on resale the car would lose value unless returned to stock.

I wouldn't let BestBuy installers anywhere near my X3.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I removed the mirror and unplugged everything attached to it. Remote locks still work. Automatic lights still work just like they always do (or defaults to on which is fine). Don't care about the rain sensor. No faults to thrown. No BMW assist to begins with so no issue. However Onstar does not make an adapter for the Onstar mount so it cannot be installed.

So now am wondering about BMW assist. Supercourse mentioned he thought all X3's came with wiring and buttons for it. Apparently my did not since there are no buttons there. Is there such a thing as installing it "aftermarket"?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well I removed the mirror and unplugged everything attached to it. Remote locks still work. Automatic lights still work just like they always do (or defaults to on which is fine). Don't care about the rain sensor. No faults to thrown. No BMW assist to begins with so no issue. However Onstar does not make an adapter for the Onstar mount so it cannot be installed.

So now am wondering about BMW assist. Supercourse mentioned he thought all X3's came with wiring and buttons for it. Apparently my did not since there are no buttons there. Is there such a thing as installing it "aftermarket"?
yes it can be installed but its around 1500 or so in parts + labor

TCU
microphone
button are the main things

what are you trying to accomplish? just tracking your daughter or do you want the roadside assistance?

either way there are many solutions that you can do that can be cellphone based.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts