Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, had a brain fart at the pump and filled my 750 with 87 octane instead of 91... Never done this before.

Question: Is this a big deal? Will it hurt the car or engine? Hopefully it is not a big deal if it happens once and never again!

Is there anything i should do? Thx.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey everyone, had a brain fart at the pump and filled my 750 with 87 octane instead of 91... Never done this before.

Question: Is this a big deal? Will it hurt the car or engine? Hopefully it is not a big deal if it happens once and never again!

Is there anything i should do? Thx.
Use a bottle of Octane Booster from AutoZone maybe?

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
This is not a big deal although performance MAY be down some. Drive the car moderately until you use about a third or more of the gas in the tank, then top it off with 93 octane so that you now have a 2 to 1 mixture (two parts 87 / 1 part 93) or 50/50 mixture of the new blend. This new blend should boost the gasoline to aprox. 91 to 92 octane level.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
oh god its fine. U think the dealer put super in it wen u picked it up? they didnt.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Drive gently and fill up with the highest AKI (probably 91 AKI in California) you can find when the tank gets about down to half-full. That will "make" 89 AKI.

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
Ditto the suggestions to drive "less aggressive" until you can up the octane level. As suggested...when you get to half a tank...if you fill up with 91 AKI that would raise the octane spec to 89 AKI (which is the recommended minimum AKI). If you fill up at half a tank with 93 AKI...then that would give you a tank full of 90 AKI fuel.

Just as mentioned in the owners manual...if you use a fuel that is below the recommended minimum...what suffers is engine performance. You may get some engine knock if you are in a hilly/mountainous location...or if you forget and start driving aggressively...but the engine management should retard timing to prevent excessive knock...this is why you'll probably feel degraded engine performance.

If you happen to be a non-aggressive driver (granny-toe :D ) ... then you may not even feel any difference at all. It's us "lead-footers" that can feel the performance degradation. :thumbdwn:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,050 Posts
You'll be fine. You could fill it up with 87 all day long and it won't affect the reliability, just performance. The knock sensors will compensate. Of course this assumes you're putting in 87 Chevron (for instance) vs. 87 Arco (or some other cheap gas). If it's 87 from a good brand (Shell, Chevron, etc), you'll be fine. There's no need to go out of your way to fill it up at half tank or to even drive "calmly" the engine will be fine.

Fun fact, because of the advanced knock sensors on current cars, you can have Toyotas and Lexus using the same engine, but Toy will rate the engine at 270 hp, while Lexus would rate the same engine at 286 hp (for instance). The difference? Toy measures HP based on 87 gas, Lexus based on 91+ gas. So if you have a Toyota, fill it up with 91 and you'll get more HP! LOL.

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts
I would add some octane booster, just to help out some. I would also top of the tank more often with 93 to get the fuel quality back up to standard. Shell or Chevron with Techron will help the performance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Add octane booster, then fill it up with premium gas when it gets to 3/4 of a tank. Preferably Shell V-Power. Your car should be fine I wouldn’t worry that much.

My uncle drives a 2010 Mercedes C300 and he puts 87 octane on the damn thing even tho it says minimum 91 on the gas cap. The car seems to run fine. And it kinda bugs me because he’s a retired engineer with millions of $$ in savings yet he drives an entry level Benz that runs on low grade gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
100 Posts
Add octane booster, then fill it up with premium gas when it gets to 3/4 of a tank. Preferably Shell V-Power. Your car should be fine I wouldn’t worry that much.

My uncle drives a 2010 Mercedes C300 and he puts 87 octane on the damn thing even tho it says minimum 91 on the gas cap. The car seems to run fine. And it kinda bugs me because he’s a retired engineer with millions of $$ in savings yet he drives an entry level Benz that runs on low grade gas.

Some might say your Uncle is a wise man; he doesn't put his hard earned $$ into and asset that just depreciates nor does he spend it on an expensive consumable (gas) that just burns away. You don't become a millionaire by giving it away. I on the other hand don't follow that rule of thumb but do understand it :rofl::rofl:

Mack217
'13 740i

·
Registered
3,812 Posts

He's just smart with his money. Unless you need max performance, high octane is not really needed. I always use 91 cuz I drive like I stole it lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Let us know what actually happens. Interesting, I've got a female colleague with a BMW 'requiring' the the higher octane and she leases it and has never even once put in anything but 87.

·
Super Moderator
8,328 Posts
Let us know what actually happens. Interesting, I've got a female colleague with a BMW 'requiring' the the higher octane and she leases it and has never even once put in anything but 87.
This would probably be one of those cars you don't want off lease. Most people that lease do the minimum requirements, & this keeps BMW in business for a long time.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts

I've known four people who are (three of them) or were (one guy who's dead now) probably deca-millionaires. One of the things they have in common is keeping their cars around ten years.

I also know a paycheck-to-paycheck type who leases BMW's. He was bitching and mewling one day about how he will not have enough income when he retires in a few years, because he has to give a fourth of it to one of his ex-wives for a few years. My advice was to buy his M235i when it comes off lease. (This was back when doing so was a good deal, before the BMW rule change on that.) He got pissed and said "I don't want to see any of your spreadsheets. Leasing works for me." So, he leased a M240i.

On Planet Putzer, having an old car in good shape is a status symbol, a sign of intelligence and diligence.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Some might say your Uncle is a wise man; he doesn't put his hard earned $$ into and asset that just depreciates nor does he spend it on an expensive consumable (gas) that just burns away. You don't become a millionaire by giving it away. I on the other hand don't follow that rule of thumb but do understand it :rofl::rofl:

Mack217

'13 740i

You made a good point there m8. My dentist drives a 1988 Volvo 240 GL and that thing is in mint shape. It’s in better shape cosmetically than my car and pretty much every other newish car on the road. He’s also loaded and has his clinic in an expensive part of downtown.
My uncle didn’t buy said Mercedes new off the lot too. It was used by a manager and if I can remember was $10,000 off its MSRP. Which was another wise move since Mercs (or luxury cars in general) lose initial value just like that. Not so wise was getting rid of his 1992(?) Mercedes 190 in exchange for it because 190s, where I live at least, are slowly creeping up in value and I would’ve bought it off him knowing that he wanted to replace it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So.... I drove it to 1/2 tank, put an octane booster then filled it up with 91. I didn***8217;t notice anything unusual or different. I bought this car off lease, it had 26k miles i leased it when it was new and just kept it... There***8217;s no car out there for $41k (the price i paid) that is comparable. My plan is to drive it as long as i can, have the warranty and service program. Like others said here, i want to spend my money on other things (like a house) and take pride in having a great sedan that will need maintenance and care. There***8217;s some joy and pride in taking care of a car, warts and all. I remember this car was $95k new, then 3 years later barely $40k. Makes no sense to get a new one, that has the same engine. For $41k I couldn***8217;t get a nice lexus, maybe a Camry.

I see a lot of people here with older 7***8217;s ... it***8217;s fun to just take care of the car and stay busy with it :) Thanks all

·
Registered
120 Posts
My wife and I are a study in deferred gratification. When everybody partied and vacationed, we invested and saved. We have now been multi millionaires many times over for several years as we are now in our 40's. I just upgraded my 2007 car to the off lease 750 and my wife still drives her own 2007 suv and doesn't want to replace it. I kept my 07 as well and thinking of keeping it at one of my other houses. We own several homes and other real estate but have no debt. Heck, we only just finally got cable tv about 5 years ago and I'm using a 5 year old smart phone. I've learned that anybody can buy or lease new stuff with cheap financing but it takes money to buy used.
The comeback is always that they'd rather use someone else's money and let theirs stay invested but they neglect to tell you that they don't actually have it invested either.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
My wife and I are a study in deferred gratification. When everybody partied and vacationed, we invested and saved. We have now been multi millionaires many times over for several years as we are now in our 40's. I just upgraded my 2007 car to the off lease 750 and my wife still drives her own 2007 suv and doesn't want to replace it. I kept my 07 as well and thinking of keeping it at one of my other houses. We own several homes and other real estate but have no debt. Heck, we only just finally got cable tv about 5 years ago and I'm using a 5 year old smart phone. I've learned that anybody can buy or lease new stuff with cheap financing but it takes money to buy used.
The comeback is always that they'd rather use someone else's money and let theirs stay invested but they neglect to tell you that they don't actually have it invested either.
Two of the super-successful people I know now drive used cars. But, one of them is a V12 Ferrari. The other one was turned off by the giant grills on the current Lexus RX-whatever, and bought a off-lease previous generation one for his wife.

I understand the math, but my risk adversity prevents me from buying used luxury cars. I'll risk $5k on a beater, but not $40k on a used BMW. I'll make up part of what I lose on new car deprecation by keeping them a few extra years. The last two cars we sold were twelve years old, and there's another twelve year old car in my driveway.

I call keeping a car ten or twelve years "having a long automotive attention span."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts