BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Opening an i8 tailgate manually?

3295 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Oooargooo
Hi
I’ve managed to let my i8 run its battery flat. Blame bad weather and moving house :-(
I have a plug in charger (mains powered) but it’s currently sat in the tailgate!
I can get in the car with the key fob - but I see no way of manually popping the tailgate or using a key to open it...
Anyone any ideas?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Easiest option is to pop the hood and have someone help you prop it up(both sides need pinned at the hinge, drill bit or small screwdriver works fine) and charge the 12V battery so you can pop the trunk electronically.

The manual way involves going up through the license plate light hole, and it is very tricky/frustrating.
Neither sounds fun :) I may bottle it and call BMW roadside assist... I know how to pop the hood but not sure I fancy getting too close tbh.
Up through the licence plate light sounds a nightmare too!
Appreciate the response tho mate. I was hoping I’d missed a lever or keyhole! :-/
Easiest option is to pop the hood and have someone help you prop it up(both sides need pinned at the hinge, drill bit or small screwdriver works fine) and charge the 12V battery so you can pop the trunk electronically.

The manual way involves going up through the license plate light hole, and it is very tricky/frustrating.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.