BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Openning doors when battery dead

1116 2
Help! The battery is dead in my 1989 735i and I can not get my doors to open. I have tried inserting key into driver and passenger doors and lifting handle but to no avail. By the way which way should I turn the key to unlock? I have tried it both ways.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I do mine on the passenger side. Lift up the handle about halfway. Then turn the key (I had to turn pretty hard) to about 2 o'clock. I lifted up on the handle a little more then turned the key (even harder) to about 3 o'clock and then poof.

Good Luck
Thanks for the advice. The local dealer in Fort Walton told me the same thing, but I could not get it to work. I finally got the skinniest person I could find to crawl through the ski hole in the trunk! But my car (155,000 miles) is running like a top. It is the oldest, but most cherished, of the four BMWs we own.
Biggs said:
I do mine on the passenger side. Lift up the handle about halfway. Then turn the key (I had to turn pretty hard) to about 2 o'clock. I lifted up on the handle a little more then turned the key (even harder) to about 3 o'clock and then poof.

Good Luck
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.