BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Makin Lotsa Noise
573 Posts
Simple. If you do not wish to spend heaps on an aftermarket muffler, have the front and center resonators removed. Replace the centre resonators with a x-pipe (custom made or supersprint) and you'll notice a change in the exhaust note. If thats not aggressive enough for you, swap the muffler for an Eisenmann Race, Supersprint, Britalmann, or Magnaflow. Some of the members here have tried these and can vouch for the quality and results.

Good luck!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I installed a Britalmann exhaust several months ago and I was looking for just a little bit more growl. Do you think removing resonators form the custom exhaust would make a clean loud or an over aggressive noisy annoying sound?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I installed a Britalmann exhaust several months ago and I was looking for just a little bit more growl. Do you think removing resonators form the custom exhaust would make a clean loud or an over aggressive noisy annoying sound?
If you remove your resonators, it will be noticeably louder. I assume at least 30% louder

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was also thinking about getting an exhaust and missed a great deal on a Britalman. I was scared though that it may sound too raspy...but then again with a V8...it may of sounded nice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Simple. If you do not wish to spend heaps on an aftermarket muffler, have the front and center resonators removed. Replace the centre resonators with an x-pipe (custom made or supersprint) and you'll notice a change in the exhaust note. If thats not aggressive enough for you, swap the muffler for an Eisenmann Race, Supersprint, Britalmann, or Magnaflow. Some of the members here have tried these and can vouch for the quality and results.

Good luck!
Jesmal
What is involved in replacing the center resonators with an X-pipe and replacing the mufflers? Is their any cutting of the stock pipes to remove resonators and mufflers, is their any welding to install the x-pipes and mufflers, or do they clamp on? I am looking at Magnaflow part #14814 Mufflers and part #10790 x-pipe.
Also do you know if I would need the 2.25 inch x-pipe? They seem to have 3 sizes a 2.25 inch a 2.5 inch and a 3 inch. I'm assuming I would need the 2.25 inch because the mufflers appear to be 2.25 inch as well.
Is there anyone who already done this to their car? If so can you tell me about the install and if you are happy with the results (sound and power). I have a 2005 645ci vert.
Sorry for all the questions but this is the place to ask!!!:rofl:

·
Makin Lotsa Noise
573 Posts
To begin with, the stock diameter of the pipes is 2.25inch. You will not need anything bigger unless you want it to drone like a biatch.

Feedback from the installation has always been good for Eisenmann, Magnaflow, Britalmann. Sound wise and performance wise, you'll notice an improvement. If you want a deep V8 rumble, go for Magnaflow, Hamann (or supersprint, it's the same) or Britalmann. If you want an F1 scream, raspy and sharp, go for Eisenmann, Tubi, or Kriesegg with its electronic valve control.

Installation of the x-pipe and removal of the resonators will involve cutting of your stock pipes. The x-pipe may require less cutting if you're buying a prefacbricated unit, say from Supersprint or RDSport. But if you are getting it custom made at a shop, it'll cost alot less and look either neat or nasty depending on the workmanship of the tech. The center resonators will need to be away to be replaced with the x-pipe anyway. the front resonators if removed, will need to be joined with twin individual pipes, so YES, there will be cutting involved.

The V8 motor in our 6ers will benefit heaps from a free flowing exhaust. I have toyed with 3inch pipes all the way through from headers on, the results were horrendous. A significant loss in low end torque was enough reason for me to throw the system out. The stock 2.25inch is still the best though it didn't hurt to move up to 2.5inch, but we're splitting hairs here so it's really not worth it. Get a set of headers, remove the cats and all the resonators, replace the center unit with an x-pipe and a decent muffler. The muffler will provide the necessary backpressure needed to maintain a healthy amount of low end torque. The free flowing pipes will give you heaps of power when you go full throttle.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jesmal
What is involved in replacing the center resonators with an X-pipe and replacing the mufflers? Is their any cutting of the stock pipes to remove resonators and mufflers, is their any welding to install the x-pipes and mufflers, or do they clamp on? I am looking at Magnaflow part #14814 Mufflers and part #10790 x-pipe.
Also do you know if I would need the 2.25 inch x-pipe? They seem to have 3 sizes a 2.25 inch a 2.5 inch and a 3 inch. I'm assuming I would need the 2.25 inch because the mufflers appear to be 2.25 inch as well.
Is there anyone who already done this to their car? If so can you tell me about the install and if you are happy with the results (sound and power). I have a 2005 645ci vert.
Sorry for all the questions but this is the place to ask!!!:rofl:
I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 14814. Also some of the forum sponsors selling magnaflow usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great cat, sounds great, and very easy to install.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 14814. Also some of the forum sponsors selling magnaflow usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great cat, sounds great, and very easy to install.
Did you replace just the Mufflers or both Mufflers and x pipe? How is it easy to install? You have to cut your old pipes and weld in new!!! From what I understand. And if you remove the resonator and replace it with an x-pipe you need to weld in all new tubing from x-pipe back to mufflers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts