BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered a 328i for my wife (our first BMW). Her use will be modest, most of the miles simply driving a short distance to her workplace and occasional weekend trips. After initally reading the description of the Sports Package option, I didn't think we'd be interested in adding it to the car. But after reading so many opinions here about the "necessity" of having, I beginning to wonder if I should reconsider.

Is the Sports Package a "must" for "serious" drivers; but perhaps not as much so for the "casual" driver?

One other point that might be relevant to the decision: Our local geography is "flat and straight" along costal Georgia. Not very exciting driving roads.

Thanks in advance for any help from those more knowledgeable than me about this (which pretty much opens the field to everyone ;))

·
Registered
282 Posts
Go with your gut on that one. Ride is a little more harsh but more sporty. For your use, the non-ZSP version will be more than sporty enough. But, like I did, you should drive both of them, then decide.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Based on your short description of how the 325i will be used, I'd save the money for something else (or dont spend it). Every BMW has a great stock setup and sport package is usually needed for those who tend to push the limits of the car. I don't know if your wife will care for the sport steering wheel or sport seats, and you certainly won't want to pay extra for the more expensive tire replacement. The reason a lot of us on this board like to say "SP is a must" its cuz, well, we tend to push the car hard to its limits pretty often. But that's just our point of view. I think the normal setup is just fine based on your needs and how the car will be used, and it'll still handle very well.

Of course, if in doubt, test drive the two and see if its worth the $1600 price differential (and cost of future tire replacements).

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would definitely test drive a sport package bmw before writing it off. Some find the seats and steering wheel upgrades reason enough to get it. Have your dealer prepare a test drive of a non-ZSP and a ZSP back to back...you never know, your wife may decide to take the long way to work!! Also, living in Georgia, you will have no worries about changing the sport tires in the winter.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
stressdoc said:
328 E90 or E92? With the coupe the suspension is the same anyway, so it would only be the tires that would make the ride a bit more harsh.
Looking at his sig, it's likely a sedan since "xenons" is an option only on the sedans; standard on the coupes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AzNMpower32 said:
Looking at his sig, it's likely a sedan since "xenons" is an option only on the sedans; standard on the coupes.
Correct - it is the sedan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This car is for my wife....

I recently ordered a 330i for my wife and she test drove the base 330i w/o the sport and she hated it. She currently drives a Lexus so she liked the sportier seats in the sport package. She did not want the car w/o the sport package. I drive a M3 so I liked the way it drove better than the regular.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The sports suspension is standard on the 328i, they change the limiter, seats, rims, and tires with the sports package I believe.. That is why it is a lower price option due to the suspension already being on the car.. I am having the same dilema, I really don't know if I need the seats but I would really like the style 197 18" rims.. My CA checked to see if we could just up the tires/rims and he said it's not an option yet, I would have to add the $1000 package.. My time is running out until I can't change the option.. I really hate these types of decisions.. Do the wider tires really make for a rougher/louder ride?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I've always driven BMWs with the Sport Package and the ride is great: this is what BMWs are famous for and it's really the only way to go for me. The downside is as always: A. more expensive to maintain....SP tires are usually non-rotatable and treadlife is shorter...tires are expensive, and B. Even tiny potholes feel like you just hit a 2x4...not at all forgiving. You just have to be more aware and avoid potholes etc...which is easy to do given how great BMWs handle.

·
your average JAMF
1,227 Posts
Let's not forget the SP seats - they alone are worth the upgrade price IMHO.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
KevinC said:
Let's not forget the SP seats - they alone are worth the upgrade price IMHO.
Yes, but would his wife truly appreciate it? Considering normal, short commutes (what the car will be used for primarily) and light driving (I dont see revs even exceeding 3000rpm and tires squealing with DSC flashing), there's really no benefit gained unless perhaps she has long legs.........if anything it'd be a pain to carefully get in/out of the vehicle to prevent squashing the side bolster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the sport package, and the ride doesnt seem too harsh too me, and it may be fun to have a sportier ride on those weekend trips. But I wouldnt say its a necessity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For me the sport package is a must. The ride, seats, and wheels/tires all make it worthwhile for ME and I wouldn't consider ordering a BMW without. The flipside of this coin is my wife. She does not like the sport seats and feels the ride on my cars is too harsh for her taste so her BMW's are purchsed without. The side benefit of this being that it keeps me out of her cars....I would let her test drive both back to back at the dealer and decide. The only car she's ever been unhappy with was the one I talked her into getting what I thought she should have....life's a lot easier if you make certain she has a car she loves...

·
Der Meister: Loriot
501 Posts
look...let's put it this way. I'm a 21 yr old male who loves to drive 'spirited.' I, however, live in a suburb of Chicago, which is a far cry from the hills of my former home in the appalachians of NW new Jersey. No crazy driving here on these grids with stoplights every quarter mile. I do NOT have the sport package, but I LOVE my car. The ride is great!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Make sure you test drive them both. I love the road response and "feeling the bumps". I had my dad in the car who is used to his Lexus and Mercedes and after encountering some unfortunate potholes, his response was: "Don't they put shock absorbers in this car?" I had to chuckle! It is extremely subjective. Most of us on this site prefer the spirited driving aspects of the car and thus the SP for the upgraded seats, steering wheel, wheels, etc. Others may like the sporty nature of the car but would prefer a cushier ride.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
If you don't get the SP, might as well buy a Lexus. :p

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
ObD said:
If you don't get the SP, might as well buy a Lexus. :p
Stop exaggerating. The stock suspension on a BMW is firmer than "sports" suspension on any Toyota/Lexus product.

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
The stock suspension on a BMW is firmer than "sports" suspension on any Toyota/Lexus product.
I'm not too sure about that one. Besides, firmer doesn't always mean better!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts