BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was looking for my E60, the first prerequisite was a manual (stick) gearbox. I looked for so long, I eventually settled for the auto. Most, if not all the dealerships I was searching on told me that these cars are mostly bought by middle-aged executives and they almost always spec a auto, unfortunately for me I was in the second hand market (so I had to buy what I could find:().

I've been contemplating this swap since I bought my car. I'm looking for opinions on the difficulty and electronic issues I might encounter. The cost of a manual gearbox is reasonable, it is the integration to the car's electronics that worries me the most.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd be really surprised if such a swap can be properly executed and integrated, at a cost that makes any practical sense at all. You'll be adapting, adding, and deleting various 'subroutines' within touchy, proprietary software, and the gearbox is hardly your whole parts list. IIRC, a poster here has been having hell's own time with a straight engine swap, as the electronics don't care to manage this intruder.
Whatever patience and cash you care to invest in this change wil almost surely be better spent looking for a car that was built your way in the first place. Best luck, however you decide to roll.

·
Loving my car.
267 Posts
A friend of mine did this with great difficulty to a 1998 5er... I can't imagine now with how the computers have advanced.

I agree with the above, sell yours and look harder.

I love my 6-speed.. The fuel economy is one thing, the fun factor is the real reason. I've never had an automatic car, but I always feel silly without that clutch and I like the challenge that comes with mentally squeezing out the mpgs (not to mention the brake savings.. I go through less than half the pads that my friends in auto trans cars go through)

Cheers and good luck!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts