BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone have an opinion as to the best gasoline to use for my 2001 540i?

I always put the highest octane at any brand gas station I use. But I use several different brand names.

Is there any benefit to using the same brand gasoline station consistently?

·
prehistoric bony fish
385 Posts
It probably doesn't make a difference. I only fill up with 91 octane from Chevron because it has Techron in it, which is supposed to keep the injectors clean.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
wingspan said:
This comes up from time to time...try: www.toptiergas.com
I've seen this before. I'm not too sure if this is valid, or a marketing ploy. I just fill up at the cheapest gas station. Right now I'm using HESS since I have a HESS card that is 10% off purchases for the 1st 3 months and 5% after. After this period is over, I'm planning on switching to another Chase card that offers 5% from all gas stations and supermakets, and 1% off everything else.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I work in the oil industry, specifically with gasoline (well, mostly...). I only put TopTier gas in my car, unless one of the top tier stations isn't around (or is ridiculously overpriced for the area).

That said, I'm pretty certain Chevron puts much more money towards gasoline additive R&D than any other company, with Shell second. Having worked at both, it is interesting how much pride Chevron employees take in having (in their mind) the best additive.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't have a Chevron or Shell within 25 miles of me :(. There was a Shell, but it closed a few months ago. Now I use BP and Hess for the most part

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
Chevron>Shell>Mobil>Exxon>QT.

·
Registered
221 Posts
lex89 said:
who's the girl on your sig? I can't even bench that much (looks like 225)
Not to answer for bimmerd00d, but I think it is a clip from the new FX show "Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia". I've seen one episode (not that one), and it is hilarious.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Only Shell

I only use Shell for 2 reasons:
1 - told by mechanics that engines they've worked on whose owners use Shell are cleaner
2 - Citibank Shell credit card -5% on gas purchases

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Today, most all brands are the same gas. Here in San Diego, gas is piped in from up north to a central station. Then the specific trucks, (Exxon, Mobile, Shell), deliver the same gas to the different stations.

"What's more, your local Chevron station may sell gas refined by Shell or Exxon Mobil. Suppliers share pipelines, so they all use the same fuel. And the difference between the most expensive brand-name gas and the lowliest gallon of no-brand fuel? Often just a quart of detergent added to an 8,000-gallon tanker truck. "

http://www.smartmoney.com/10things/index.cfm?story=august2006

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think that's generally true except for the bargain basement stations. There's a guy who always has the cheapest gas around here. I used to use it in my boat until I discovered it had a ton of water. It also clogged up my fuel filter. He buys his gas from the bottom of the tank, which is where all the crud is. That's why it's cheap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I always get gas from Shell unless theres no way to avoid using a different brand. In canada we dont have as many choices (Shell, Esso & Petro Canada are the big 3) but ive experimented with both my cars (94 325i & 98 540i) and ive found shell to be the best. The biggest reason why i would say so is i get MUCH better gas mileage.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
Munilou said:
Would anyone have an opinion as to the best gasoline to use for my 2001 540i?

I always put the highest octane at any brand gas station I use. But I use several different brand names.

Is there any benefit to using the same brand gasoline station consistently?
-I've always disliked Chevron, but after reading up on Tier 1 gasoline protocol I have to recommend Chevron, 76 and Shell. I've been using Chevron exclusively for the last 8 months and I've noticed a consistent increase of about 1mpg in my M5. That's not an rough estimate - I keep a fuel log.

·
Registered
221 Posts
chuck92103 said:
"What'Often just a quart of detergent added to an 8,000-gallon tanker truck. "
That quote is true, but there is a lot of R&D that goes into the individual additives, and the ratio of additive to gas can be as much as 2 to 1 from top tier gas to others.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Up here in the northwest, Chevron is considered the best, w/ARCO being the worst.

Everyplace I've read, the additive that Chevron uses, Techron, is the best for keeping your fuel system clean.

Unfortunately, we don't have any Sunoco's, none that I've ever seen around here.

What's the highest octane ratings of 76 and Shell?

Would the higher octane fuel have any effect on a dyno?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
hupps said:
I only use Shell for 2 reasons:
1 - told by mechanics that engines they've worked on whose owners use Shell are cleaner
2 - Citibank Shell credit card -5% on gas purchases
I too, only use Shell V-POWER. Too bad though we dont have any Chevron stations here in N Jersey

·
Registered
221 Posts
razzy530 said:
I too, only use Shell V-POWER. Too bad though we dont have any Chevron stations here in N Jersey
As an aside - if you have Texaco stations you should start seeing singage that says "Texaco with Techron" soon, if not already. Chevron owns the marketing rights to Texaco, and in the south they have already started advertising that Texaco now has Techron. I don't think it is nationwide yet though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts