BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new X5 coming up...I still like the looks of my First Gen X5. Saw the SRT8 Jeep cherokee...wow...it looks very nice. And amazingly fast.

So anyone got one? How's it compare?

·
Tracer
134 Posts

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
AndrewL said:
With the new X5 coming up...I still like the looks of my First Gen X5. Saw the SRT8 Jeep cherokee...wow...it looks very nice. And amazingly fast.

So anyone got one? How's it compare?
Only two words: STAY AWAY!
The car looks nice based on the first look, but when you take a closer one - oh my god, this car has a terrible interior quality. Plastic everywhere!

Switching from BMW to Jeep results in disappointment - you have my word on that!

That's what happens when U.S. manufacturers boost HP to compete with German engineering AND try to keep the sticker-price $30K below. So what can you expect?

We owned a 2006 Grand Cherokee Overland (same price-level as SRT), and guess what? Lemon-car!

Sure this Jeep is amazingly fast BUT THAT'S IT! Quality does not exist: Just look at the handbrake, air-outlets of the A/C (can't be adjusted correctly), dashboard (pure plastic) etc. etc.

So stay away from Jeep. BTW, my brother used to have an older Cherokee - the quality was much better a few years ago and many Jeep-owners agree...

It's a fact: You can't expect to get a high quality car for a much lower price. BMW has the best value already, trust me...
I'm not stating that BMW is the best, but you won't get more for less.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i never saw the interior, just the exterior and when I was driving. I was just considering as it looked so mean. My x5 is still a gem for me...Ex got my 05 530i and to be honest, I like my X better because it felt so much more stable when driving down the freeway...a crosswind didn't even move the truck..amazing.
I'm a very simple country boy really so getting something fancy is in all honesty awkward for me.
Just sold my old hunting truck (bronco) and just picked up a 92 Mitsubishi Montero...Wow...very capable truck...slow, but capable. I'll be playing with that for sometime...so I guess I can wait.

·
'Fest Advisor
1,409 Posts
Only two words: STAY AWAY!
The car looks nice based on the first look, but when you take a closer one - oh my god, this car has a terrible interior quality. Plastic everywhere!

Switching from BMW to Jeep results in disappointment - you have my word on that!

That's what happens when U.S. manufacturers boost HP to compete with German engineering AND try to keep the sticker-price $30K below. So what can you expect?

We owned a 2006 Grand Cherokee Overland (same price-level as SRT), and guess what? Lemon-car!

Sure this Jeep is amazingly fast BUT THAT'S IT! Quality does not exist: Just look at the handbrake, air-outlets of the A/C (can't be adjusted correctly), dashboard (pure plastic) etc. etc.

So stay away from Jeep. BTW, my brother used to have an older Cherokee - the quality was much better a few years ago and many Jeep-owners agree...

It's a fact: You can't expect to get a high quality car for a much lower price. BMW has the best value already, trust me...
I'm not stating that BMW is the best, but you won't get more for less.
I've had my X5 to the shop and towed 6 times in the 4 months I owned it. Over 15 electrical and mechanical problems. Never had any of my domestics towed or in the shop for more than a day in the other 20 years. My 335 has been in the shop about 8 times in the first year. BMWs are NOT known for their quality. PLEASE, research your facts. Go to JD Power or anywhere else. True, Jeep's reliability has waned, but please don't use quality or value and BMW in the same sentence!!!!!!!!!

·
Ultimative fahrmaschine
1,319 Posts
No experience with the hemi but did have the 8. I put 190K on it with nothing more than normal maintenance. It isn't a BMW, but I sure got value out of it. Great 4 wheeler and underrated as far as reliability.

·
'Fest Advisor
1,409 Posts
No experience with the hemi but did have the 8. I put 190K on it with nothing more than normal maintenance. It isn't a BMW, but I sure got value out of it. Great 4 wheeler and underrated as far as reliability.
Yeah...an honest bimmerfester without a stick up his a**! Hat's off to you Pistolpuma!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Actually I like the interior as well as the experior. In a SUV (and the Jeep makes no pretensions about being anything else) the "hose out" kind of interior is useful on a truck that will be used under all weather conditions. The SRT might be a little too much, but I do love those Brembo brakes! No personal experience but two relatives, nephew and sister-in-law have had Grand Cherokees and loved both of them. If I lived out in the boonies I would certainly have one. A good truck at a fair price IMHO.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My SUV prior to my current 08 X5 3.0 was an 05 Cherokee with the small 8. Very capable SUV, no problems in 35k miles, excellent road dynamics, towed the sailboat and race car well, and cost an amazing $25k new. Objectively, the X5 at twice the price is better but not "twice the car." Subjectively, the BMW is worth the extra money, absolutely, and I would never go back unless I had no choice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My SUV prior to my current 08 X5 3.0 was an 05 Cherokee with the small 8. Very capable SUV, no problems in 35k miles, excellent road dynamics, towed the sailboat and race car well, and cost an amazing $25k new. Objectively, the X5 at twice the price is better but not "twice the car." Subjectively, the BMW is worth the extra money, absolutely, and I would never go back unless I had no choice.
+1 here. I have a friend with a SRT8 and it is fast, but that is all. Quality is way inferior (maybe not twice inferior like dcharnet very well mentioned) and ride dynamics is probably the biggest issue when comparing the two. You feel and, most important, hear every bump in the SRT8 while the X5 is solid as a rock. I get all kinds of compliment from him when he drives my car despite being a little slower than his car. I believe the SRT8 is a good option if you like to drive fast and you do not have the $ to buy a Infiniti FX50, Porsche Turbo or S or BMW X5 4.8.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We traded off a 2001 Grand Cherokee Ltd with small V8 when we bought my wife her '07 X5 4.8. It was the second Grand Cherokee we owned. We didn't have a single major problem with either of them in almost 100K miles each. Extremely reliable. In fact, I had a lot more problems with a Lexus, an E39 and an E60 that I owned during the same time period. (So far so good with current X5). I much prefer driving the X5, but the Jeep is a very nice SUV for the money.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Stated another way, the Jeep is finally just another vehicle. The X5 is like the 911 I use to have: virtually every drive is involving and pleasurable. Much of the "extra value" resides there.

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
I've had my X5 to the shop and towed 6 times in the 4 months I owned it. Over 15 electrical and mechanical problems. Never had any of my domestics towed or in the shop for more than a day in the other 20 years. My 335 has been in the shop about 8 times in the first year. BMWs are NOT known for their quality. PLEASE, research your facts. Go to JD Power or anywhere else. True, Jeep's reliability has waned, but please don't use quality or value and BMW in the same sentence!!!!!!!!!
But Jeep, right? Jeep gives you a great bang for the buck, but you def. see that it's a few bucks less - resulting in a lack of a few bangs..:rofl: So you get what you paf for.

Researching the facts? Well, our GC Overland was bought back under the lemon-law...:dunno:

·
'Fest Advisor
1,409 Posts
But Jeep, right? Jeep gives you a great bang for the buck, but you def. see that it's a few bucks less - resulting in a lack of a few bangs..:rofl: So you get what you paf for.

Researching the facts? Well, our GC Overland was bought back under the lemon-law...:dunno:
I wish our X5 was bought back. BMWNA refused to do so. The dealer is beyond unreasonable. I've posted my experiences with both in another post. I'm now debating between the GC SRT8 vs anything else vs a new X5. I like the way the X5 drives (as most X5 owners), but I have such a bad taste for the X5's poor quality now. And so many people here at bimmerfest have complaints about the X5.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi take the srt-8 and save youself some money...i am a new first time bmw owner 2005 x5 4.4 cpo with 17k...i will dump it as soon as cpo is expired if not sooner..i expected so much more from german engineering..but i am not impressed..even though i have not had any major problems yet the future dosent look good and repairs are insanely expensive..went to bmw for a little rubber boot bump stop for the rear hatch and they want $32 for literally a $1.00 part..if you have money to throw away fine but if not stay away..rob

·
'Fest Advisor
1,409 Posts
If you guys want hassle free driving...you should be thinking Lexus or an Acura.
True...although it would be "hassle free getting-from-point-A-to-point-B", not driving. Lexuses or Lexi are the most numb cars I've ever driven. Truly for the uninspired driver who doesn't want to know that he/she is driving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an 07 jeep srt8 i love it the best thing that i have ever bought,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts