BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bridgestone recently came out with a new tire, the Turanza LS-Z.

Seems like it would be a great GT tire for those looking for a more comfortable ride without sacrificing too much performance.

It's an all in one tire: Z rated, 4 season, available in 17" sizes. 40,000 mile guarantee. Downside: $196.00 a tire - yikes! (size 225/45/17).

You can check it out over on Tirerack:

Tirerack: Turanza LS-Z

No tests or reviews yet.

Thoughts? Opinions?

·
Registered
595 Posts
what about RE950 or mich. pilot sport A/S?

have had decent experience with either of those tires.

definitely stiffer sidewalls than grand touring tires, though. but all season (1) tread pattern and (2) tread compound.

·
superwagon pilot
1,388 Posts
In that category and for that price, I'd probably get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. According to the tests it performs 99% as well as Pilot Sports but gives you all season flexibility. And only ~$10 more than the Bridgestone too. :dunno:

Pilot Sport A/S

geomax said:

Seems like it would be a great GT tire for those looking for a more comfortable ride without sacrificing too much performance.

It's an all in one tire: Z rated, 4 season, available in 17" sizes. 40,000 mile guarantee. Downside: $196.00 a tire - yikes! (size 225/45/17).

No tests or reviews yet.

Thoughts? Opinions?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
geomax said:

No tests or reviews yet.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Sounds too good to be true...A Z rated tire that last 40,000 miles? What's next, the Israeli's and Palestinians living together in peace?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Opinions on this tire?

The HACK said:

Sounds too good to be true...A Z rated tire that last 40,000 miles? What's next, the Israeli's and Palestinians living together in peace?
UTOG is 320 for the Z version, 400 for the H and V versions. By comparison, my Pilots have a UTOG of 220. So, I can believe 40K for the V and H versions, but the Z looks kinda doubtful. But hey, if they guarantee it, so be it!

The Pilot A/S looks great too - but geared much more for performance (but has a UTOG of 400, so it's a little "harder" than the Turanza), while the Turanza is for comfort. With the Z rating, it shouldn't be too sloppy, you'd think.

·
Registered
590 Posts

The HACK said:
This was the promise of the Bridgestone Potenza RE-730's. They accomplish this by using REALLY hard rubber, so the tires get extremely loud as they begin to wear down.

Tirerack agreed to take back the RE-730's from anyone who complained about the noise (provided you bought the tires from them). I got stuck with a set on my 540i. Even as people complained and Tirerack took back the RE-730's, they continued to highly recommend them and strongly praise the tires on their web site.

It's thought that the RE-730's were reformulated later on to overcome its shortcomings, but I would still avoid them, and anything that makes wild promises of Z-rated performance, all season traction and amazingly long tread life.

--gary

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I had no problems with the 730s I had on my old car, although they came off (when I sold the car and kept the wheels) with about 50% left. They were slightly quieter than my all-time favorite to date, Dunlop 8000s.

A friend of mine with a Camry, of all things, has tried a lot of the high-end AS tires out there, and the 950 trounced his previous favorite, the AVS S1Z and its db replacement.

Also, even though UTQG is supposed to be a government standard, I've been told, and also seen, that they are only usable for comparison within a tire brand. A Michelin with a UTQG 300 will NOT wear the same as a Dunlop with the same rating.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

The HACK said:

TD and hts living in peace? :yikes:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kaz said:
Also, even though UTQG is supposed to be a government standard, I've been told, and also seen, that they are only usable for comparison within a tire brand. A Michelin with a UTQG 300 will NOT wear the same as a Dunlop with the same rating.
I suppose the same is true for tire size between brands. I've read many posts which describe S-03's as being meatier in size than, say, Pilots. I also recently purchased some Toyo tires for my girlfriends car, and these look completely different (taller) than the OEM fitment , even though they are the same size.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
geomax said:

I suppose the same is true for tire size between brands. I've read many posts which describe S-03's as being meatier in size than, say, Pilots. I also recently purchased some Toyo tires for my girlfriends car, and these look completely different (taller) than the OEM fitment , even though they are the same size.
This is true as well. A friend with a Integra GSR has really close tire/fender tolerances, and certain tires will rub, whereas others of the same size will not.

This is one of the reasons why mixing tires on a car is not recommended.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Opinions on this tire?

Mystikal said:

TD and hts living in peace? :yikes:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Just too funy. Sorry TD and hts, but you both are now like oil and water, or matter and anti-matter.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinions on this tire?

DaveN323i said:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Just too funy. Sorry TD and hts, but you both are now like oil and water, or matter and anti-matter.
Rap music and intelligence? :p

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
There independent factors:

1) Speed Rating is determined by the construction, so it has stiff construction. Maybe not as stiff as the Y rated S-03's, but stiff enough to be rated Z. Stiff construction enhances handling and road feel, but also reduces comfort. I would not expect this tire to be any more comfortable that any most other Z rated tires.

2) All Season Rating, well that is nothing but the tread design. There is no reason why you cannot put almost any tread design on any tire. This should not impact the speed rating; however it is not optimized for summer traction.

3) Tread life... this is also easy; just use a long life hard compound. Hard compounds are low traction and vice versa. New tire compound technology is improving tread life and traction, so year after year tire manufactures are improving. Being a new high-end tire the trade off between traction and tread life may be not as great as tires in years past.

In summary: 1) Z rating = No advantage in comfort 2) Tread Pattern = loss of summer traction 3) Good Tread Life = loss of traction year round.

They sound like a good choice for a typical 7-series, but they are not going near my car!

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
CD-55 said:
They sound like a good choice for a typical 7-series, but they are not going near my car!
The E65 deserves the P-Zeros or Pilot Primacys that it comes with :p

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinions on this tire?

Mystikal said:

Rap music and intelligence? :p
:dunno: I tend to think the average rapper is a lot more intelligent than the people that listen to their music, thus it is ENTIRELY possible that rap music CAN co-exist with intelligence?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinions on this tire?

The HACK said:

:dunno: I tend to think the average rapper is a lot more intelligent than the people that listen to their music, thus it is ENTIRELY possible that rap music CAN co-exist with intelligence?
Rap as it is today is completely and proudly materialistic and contradictory. If there is a "rap" or "hip-hop" song that I like, I feel like I'm letting it down by labeling it as such. The entire genre has fallen down to the point of being laughable.

It will always be the main category of music playing in my car or at home, but all of the mainstream popular (Nelly, Jay-Z, Ja Rule and the like) songs and artists will still sadden me to hear. There are kids out there actually using these guys as role models. Get some money, girls, clothes, and of course an SUV with at least 4 TV's in it and you've made it in life. Sad, really.

Redman has a Phd in something. I have no idea what, but I know for a fact that he actually went to University and got an education. Most Toronto rappers are also BA grads, which is refreshing.

Ever heard Nelly or Lil Bow Wow in an interview? Oh yeah, real bright characters there.

Back to the point though, rap can co-exist with intelligence. The problem is that intelligent rap can't co-exist with popularity. People don't want to hear about life and philosophy. They wanna hear about sitting on 22" rims and drinking $10k champagne like there's no tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts

The HACK said:

i got well over 30,000 on my Z-rated continentals that came w/ my 328i, and there's plenty of meat left on them.

if u don't drive like a f*ckin maniac, sport tires will last as long as anything else worth owning. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Michelin A/S pilot sport

I replaced some Pilot Sports with the A/S Pilot and didn't notice a substantial difference. I live in an area with lots of twisties as well as pot holes, and these tires handle very well.
I believe all the tires you mentioned are excelent choices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts