BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back from Lake Tahoe from meeting up with my family, and my Mom came up with a proposition for us.

She offered to give me her 2005 Chevy Avalanche with 45k miles on it, fully loaded, she's the original owner from the lot, just a gorgeous vehicle..........But here's the catch she would like my BMW.....ouch.

Well my car just hit the 150k mile mark, overall it's in great shape, for the most part I do all the work myself, and keep up on the regular maintenance on time, well bascially I baby the crap out of it. I'm the second owner, the original owner only had it for six months when first new then I bought it with 9k miles on it.

I did a Kelly Blue Book on both, and my car is not even at 10K asking price for a private party, her Avalanche is at nearly 22K.

So guys and gals what would you all do???

I truly love my car, and in my mind I think I should trade, but my heart is telling me not to.....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Trade it to her, sell the Avalanche, buy a 2003 540i-6 sport.
Waveho. you took the words right out of me mouth.

Do it!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Steer clear, don't profit on Mom, jeesh. You can't trade then sell, then sleep at night. Kindly decline, claiming your love for the car. :angel:

If you need the Avalanch and would keep it, that's another story - she's just "helping you out"...

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
I think your mom has altruistic reasons for offering the trade. So...

There is only one question that you need to answer: Why is she offering you the trade?

... Then great minds can answer your question... :angel:

mw

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest, my Mom is just an overall great person, she would do anything for me, and I think she's looking in my best intesrests. Just because lately I have been putting time and money into my car, (well it did hit 150K) so I wouldn't expect anything different.

So in her mind what better oppotunity then then to trade vehicles since her is still under the warranty and has decent mileage on it.

She is retired and she doesn't have an alternative method rather then to help me out, and like (laro) said I really shouldn't trade unless I was going to keep the truck, since she would think I took advantage of the situation.....

I think what I'm going to do is just offer her a good price on the Avalanche and she what she thinks....might seem silly, but I can't bare to part with my car.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
To be honest, my Mom is just an overall great person, she would do anything for me, and I think she's looking in my best interests. Just because lately I have been putting time and money into my car, (well it did hit 150K) so I wouldn't expect anything different.

So in her mind what better opportunity then then to trade vehicles since her is still under the warranty and has decent mileage on it.

She is retired and she doesn't have an alternative method rather then to help me out, and like (laro) said I really shouldn't trade unless I was going to keep the truck, since she would think I took advantage of the situation.....

I think what I'm going to do is just offer her a good price on the Avalanche and she what she thinks....might seem silly, but I can't bare to part with my car.
That's what I suspected. (Altruistic reasons = selfless reasons). She is probably thinking of helping her "poor son out of an aging car that he does not have money to take to a shop to fix, and he has to spend hours under the car fixing it himself so that he can save the money.." :D

You can't take her car and trade it. You will hurt her feeling.

mw

·
Registered
90 Posts
listen buddy, if your mom genuinely wants a bmw for safety/aesthetics/personal reasons, then go ahead and trade vehicles... for the love of all things holy, she brought you into this world. at least do this for her.

if she's just trying to do you a favor (as mom's always try to do) by letting you "trade up", then kindly explain to her your love for your German beauty even though there's little chance she'd understand.

if neither of these scenarios fit's your situation then i second, third, fourth, ... and nth the previously mentioned idea of trading and selling the chevy and welcoming a younger German beauty into your life.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
If mom really wants a BMW, then help her out by finding a better trade for her Avalanche. She may just think it would be an even trade for your car so let her know the value of her truck and and your car and go from there. She sure sounds like a generous person but don't take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree Temp and Matt, my Mom wants to help me out, that's why I want to help her out.

Unitmely I want the best for both of us.......well of course my Mom before me.

Thanks guys for all your help.........

Chris

·
Retired Hotness!
921 Posts
Tha av is gonna be a gas guzzla, and at 80 a fill up, that will hurt more in the long run. Your mother is a great parent for the thought, but this is only a quik fix.

She must have noticed something to make her think this is what you need........

Don't take the trade, it will be stressful to deal with when something goes wrong on the bimmer and she has to deal with it. You will never forgivce yourself.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Lol

Not trusting your own Mom...JOKE!

I am sure she isn't steering you wrong...do you need a truck? Tow a jetski? Boat? Camper? or is she just wanting to get rid of it...if it is the latter. Do the right thing, get her truck saleable, take out the ad in autotrader and sell it for her...then make sure she has a 'ride' for a few days while you locate her the bimmer of her dreams, or yours and you trade? :D

GL and take care of your Mom she is the only one you will ever get!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.