Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently driving a Blue 2011 X5 35d. Love it! but technology is dated and emissions warranty is just about done and needing breaks soon. Looking to take advantage of trade-in value and get something fun and new. Thinking of leasing this time. Did lots of research on 2011 and just starting out for 2018’s.
Given the option which do you think is best choice for 2018?? Have 2 kids so space is needed but X3 and X5 difference seems minimal. I love the X3 M40i styling and Blue color option and I’ve always been partial to M styling but price wise feels hard to defend against equally priced X5. Similarly priced, $64k-ish X5’s look like they have much better leads proframs.
Also don’t know which X5 makes most sense. When we got our diesel there was a government rebate so made the price attractive. Don’t feel we actually got much fuel efficiency benefit as I do a lot of around town driving and diesel fuel isn’t cheap.
Love the torque of the diesel but without the rebate it doesn’t seem to be as cost effective.
The 40e seems to have some better price incentives but I don’t see myself plugging it in every night, plus cost to install charging station and its actual charging capacity is minimal so does having an electric but not using the electric capability have any benefit? Is it harmful not to charge it? How would the performance be versus the 35i?

Any opinions welcome. Experiences with any models X3 or X5 models? My no holds barred would be the X5 50 but that’s out of price range so where do I settle for best performance, styling and value out of X3/X5 options.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Thats tough...

As far as the X5s go, I think you would miss the diesel torque if you get a straight 35i. After having had both, there is a noticeable difference in the low in "get up and go" for the 35i and the X5D, at least as far as the F15 goes. I couldnt even get my wife into a 40e to test drive it, she was so against the idea. I think if you never intend to charge it, then you are making a mistake with that version of the car.

There is an EXCELLENT primer on the 40e best practices that I think is a great read, not only for 40e owners but for 40e prospective owners. Its stickied up top, and likely one of the best collection of 40e information you are going to find on the internet as far as how to get the most out of one of those.

Based on what you said, you are already sort of "against" the 40e, at least at this point, so what this boils down to in my opinion for you is the following:

How much do you need the extra space of the X5 vs the X3?
How much do you like "options" on your cars? Are you a "options just increase the price and provide things that break" person, or are you a "I love all the options and tech in these cars!" person?

You can get a fully loaded X3 with just about every option including M sport, for the price of a pretty "basically equipped" X5 35i. The diesel is a bit more (somewhere around 64k or for a fully loaded X3).

The X3 with the 6 cylinder engine is going to feel very fast (more nimble than your X5, and likely feel like at least as much torque). We have a 2016 X5D and at least where I am, diesel is less expensive than premium unleaded (and I think california has the most expensive gas in the US). Given that with the diesel version you fill up less, it feels like a bargain still to me.

Anyway, if you dont need the space of the larger X5, and like the bells and whistles, get the X3 and load it up. If you do need the size of the X5 and load IT up, they get up around 72-75k for a "well optioned" model. For me, "fully loaded" is every option. Very few people who say "fully loaded" have fully loaded cars, they have "well optioned" cars. An X5 35i or X5d "fully loaded" is going to be somewhere around 78-79k or so. "Well optioned" X5s are around 70-75k.

I am thinking when my X5D lease is up, I am going to try to convince my wife to give an X3 a try, because we DONT need the space. I havent been inside of one, however, so I dont know if its as "luxurious" feeling as a nicely optioned X5, but I will check it out when that time comes late next year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. You’re right when I test drove the X5 35i 6 years ago it felt anemic and nowhere near the get up and go of the diesel. The only reason I even eyeballed the electric was for the added horsepower and torque of the 35i. Didnt know of that alone would make it a better drive and option without caring about the charging capabilities.

I do like me some toys in my car but can usually be slightly restrained with the packages but some of the newest technologies have me wanted it fully loaded. And on the totally cosmetic side I love that X3 blue and the X5s don’t have my old color.

I have to get to the bottom of why the X3 M40i lease programs seam so high tho. An X5 for the same price is cheaper so that feels like a bit of a rip off and not sure of we’re going to want to buy this time.

I had an original X3 in 2006 was fun but no where near as much muscle. I had a loaner 2017 X3 recently and it felt smaller, even the side mirror size bothers me but I guess I just have to get in this new 2018 and see how it feels. Unfortunately I probably should be looking at cars with 3rd rows but based on cost, my own comfort on the road and wanted so some pep in the motor the X5 is the largest I’ll go but of never even get it’s 3rd row. Is basically a jump seat.

I’m scared as soon as I drive the X3 M40i I will be sold but my kids will be yelling at me as soon as I bring it home. Oh well :) Thanks!

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

·
Happily Driving
6,998 Posts
5 years ago I went through a similar situation where I had to choose between a loaded F25 and less optioned E70 as the family was about to increase by 2 at once. I chose the F25 and it has served me very well over the years. Now I am in the process of trading the F25 for an F15, I didn't really consider the new G01, and here are the reasons:

1. Wanted 3rd row, even if it's not going to be used all that often.
2. The G01 is brand new, long term reliability is unknown.
3. The F15 is a little wider and that extra couple of inches of room is handy when somebody has to sit in-between the car seats.
4. I think I would prefer the rear hatch design of the X5.
5. If I were to be serious about the X3, I would highly prefer a G01 with the I6 but not in the M Sport configuration. I don't like how BMW is forcing all models with the larger engines to be M Sport.
6. The F25 is pretty rough around the edges, kind of got tired of that. Not sure if the new one is less rough, but the X5 is definitely less rough. :)

Just my opinions. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I’ve never found the X3 attractive. So X5 for me. I like bigger SUVs, though. (Or SAVs?)

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just had a brand new X3 loaner for a day. It was nice but not as tightly finished as the F15. Little things....more road noise, louder heater fan, more plastic. It was a 35 so had plenty of power. My wife has a 2012 X5 and around 90,000 I asked if she wanted to sell. She said that she would not be interested in the X3, just not as nice, but wanted more power. Burger installed and she is very happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2018 X5 xDrive35i a few weeks back, and after driving the X3, the Q5, the Q7, the XC90, a Pilot, an MDX and RDX, the VW atlas and a Highlander, I kept coming back to the X5. The X3 i6 is faster, but that's just the result of the weight of the car, and while I did really like the X3, it just felt kind of small all around. In the end there were several things that led me to the X5, but mainly it was just how much more I liked driving it than all the rest. The fully digital instrument cluster in the new X3's is pretty cool though.

FWIW, I have a 3rd row in mine and yes, it is small, but for us, we decided we really liked that option for short local trips with multiple kids, etc. I came from a Pilot, and we would go months between uses, but when it's handy, it's really handy. I'm glad I waited for one now, since we've already used it twice, but like I said, it's good for short trips where the kids are in boosters or older. There is no LATCH back there.

Good luck deciding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks it sounds like a similar situation. I was intrigued by the Atlas for capacity and cost but think it will be too big for what I’m used to driving and not enough power. I would be fine staying in my current X5 35d but at 7 years old just starting to get nervous about maintenance costs to come. We’ve been lucky so far. Gotta just get behind the wheel of the 2018’s I guess and see how I feel.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I just had a brand new X3 loaner for a day. It was nice but not as tightly finished as the F15. Little things....more road noise, louder heater fan, more plastic. It was a 35 so had plenty of power. My wife has a 2012 X5 and around 90,000 I asked if she wanted to sell. She said that she would not be interested in the X3, just not as nice, but wanted more power. Burger installed and she is very happy.
Did you have the NEW X3? Its unlikely dealers are using those as loaners yet due to the demand for that car, but there is a pretty substantial difference in the new G01 X3 and the current (old) X3 that is 2017 or older. The fact you said it was a '35 means to me it was an older one, because the new ones are either M40i or 30i, with the 30i being the "regular" one with 4 cylinders, and the M40 being the 6 cylinder one.

They (BMW) are having a hard time keeping the new one in stock so would be very surprised if they had a M40i for a loaner.

I didnt like the old X3 (looks) and I like the looks of this one. Unlike Me530, I am one who LIKES the M sport styling, so that works for me. Thats why we are all different, right? :) . I wont own an X5 / X3 without M sport look.

We dont need to haul kids, car seats, etc none of that... so I really think the X3 would work for what my wife wants which is to "sit up higher" and be in a "larger" vehicle. I was going to look at it and the F pace when our lease is up. Cant afford new porsche with what I am willing to pay monthly on a car lease.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am driving 40e 2017 for a year.12000 miles Great car plenty of power.
But I really love torgue which car has.
Try to test drive the car with full battery on spot mode then compare it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
JJ is correct. The new G01 X3 inventory turns over quite fast from the websites I've been watching. We had to quickly go over to grab it after it appeared on the dealer's website. This X3 copy has many options including the exec package and harmon kardon too (everything we wanted and more). The dealer said to just take it home first and do the paperwork later (it was getting late in the day, and halfway thru the process they suddenly had a power/internet problem in their area). They sent someone over with the paperwork the next day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting to the dealer next week to get behind the wheel. The more poking around I’m doing tho I feel kind of obligated to see what G05 X5 turns up with later this year. Spy shots look promising. I’m under no pressure to get something new now expects for all the news gadgets. Price definitely jumps with packages tho. I also didn’t realize the E’s are still eligible for tax credits but I still think the diesel with be the more enjoyable drive. My 2011 was a steal with all the incentives.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Correct, the loaner was a 2017.
Thanks for confirming. You might want to give the new one a chance. I didnt like the old one, but this one looks very nice, and is getting rave reviews from almost everyone who has driven it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hmm - choosing between an X3 and an X5? I will make my suggestion real simple and split the difference: X4 M40i
The X3 M40i has the new B58 motor, whereas the X4 M40i has the much beloved N55 (N55B30T0 actually - same motor used in the M2) Output for the two motors is about the same AFAIK.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Hmm - choosing between an X3 and an X5? I will make my suggestion real simple and split the difference: X4 M40i
The X3 M40i has the new B58 motor, whereas the X4 M40i has the much beloved N55 (N55B30T0 actually - same motor used in the M2) Output for the two motors is about the same AFAIK.
I know you love that car, but they are not similar at ALL. X4s and X6s dont look anything like the X3s and X5s. X4s and X6s look like "cars on stilts" to me, and have headroom in the back similar to my 4 series.

I see both X4s and X6s like X3 GT and X5 GT from a design perspective.... polarizing. One thing about having one of those is, they are pretty rare on the road (I see about as many of those as I do 4 series, which really isnt many). X5s and X3s are a dime a dozen so to speak, where I am.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That’s an interesting out of the box suggestion but need the space, even the head room is too confining with 2 rambunctious kids in the back. I’m even hesistant on the 3 just for any lost space.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts