BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate any advice from those with or without the PDC/Rear view camera options. Is it worth it? Did anyone pass on it and wish they had it?

From my test drives, it seems a little hard to see the back end of the car, which might be a problem parallel parking. But, I'm sure parking just takes a little getting used to. It is really cool the way it puts those lines down.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got both and am glad I got them. Rear cam helps when backing up (I always think I'm a lot closer than I actually am) and also lets me see if there is anything short (i.e. my son, a bike, etc.) behind me. The PDC is front and rear, and I've noticed that I can park a lot more accurately (i.e. I can get closer without hitting something) when parking in my garage and home or work. I also like the reverse course line so I can see before I even start backing up if I can make it not not. Comes down to personal choice. Though the 360 camera would be really neat to have, I asked myself if I really needed it or not, and the rear camear and PDC was a good compromise.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I prefer PDC; the rear camera isn't very useful to me.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
I found that the auto parking was a better parallel parker than I am. That's because my skills in that area don't get enough practice with all the front end parking I do. While I can park in parallel with no problems, the auto park is able to do it much tighter - when I was test driving. I could have sworn it was so close that it was going to hit the car in front on turn in, but it didn't.

So, if you're in a city with tight parking spots, it will be a nice benefit. It's also a nice thing to have to "show off".

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Rear view camera is nice but doesn't gain you much.

The side and top view cameras are well worth it. They make parallel parking much easier and saves you money on refinishing your rims when hey get scratched.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
PDC and Rear view camera are well worthwhile. More valuable than top view side view.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I got the PDC and Rear view camera , and I like them a lot.....now is it possible for me to install/get the Surround View Camera too?! :confused:
Is the rear camera available stand-alone or does one need the PDC too?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had with cam and without. To me the cam is just a novelty. The fisheye lens makes it very hard to judge distance. I guess the only use for me is to make sure a cat or something isn't back there. I do rely on the PDC every time I park.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I would appreciate any advice from those with or without the PDC/Rear view camera options. Is it worth it? Did anyone pass on it and wish they had it?

From my test drives, it seems a little hard to see the back end of the car, which might be a problem parallel parking. But, I'm sure parking just takes a little getting used to. It is really cool the way it puts those lines down.
Get both.

·
Registered
564 Posts

Rear camera and the related vision software to estimate boundaries is worth every single
penny and it shall be a requirement for the size of F10 if you want to protect your wheels or bumper..

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Another vote for all of them. The top view could be clearer but it really does afford you an amazing perspective and will likely help you avoid 'curbing' your wheels and tires, something I've done numerous times in other vehicles I've owned. The backup camera with the little green lines that project where your car is headed when backing up based on steering input is not only very cool, it's a real aid in maneuvering. Unless you live in a really rural area where the concept of parking is never more challenging than pulling into your driveway I think it's an amazing set of features and well worth it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.