BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're about to replace our E91 with the 2008 version with the Sport Package.We've always been old school using maps/mapquest. If given the choice should we omit the NAV option? Any other options/accessories to omit if you had another chance to order your 3 Series? The majority of our 36K miles a year are highway, but always looking for an excuse to take the twisty route when available.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I would think twice about comfort access. HD radio doesn't work around here with the hills. If you spend a lot of time on the highway, the bluetooth option is fabulous.

·
Black Squared
421 Posts
Std. features to get rid of:
Auto Climate Control (give me some manual, read cable, not vacuum, controlled doors/heater controls any day!)
Glass sunroof (make mine steel, please!)
Less-responsive throttle only in reverse with manual tranny (what the hell is that about?)
Bingidy-bongidy-bongidy that don't allow each other to even finish (what were they thinking? And yes, the volume is set to zero, thanks for asking)
Dipstick delete

Option to add:
Ventilated sport seats in leatherette and/or leather

Std. features to add:
Adjustable lumbar support
Electronic folding mirrors (come on now, with the narrow parking in many parts of the world, how this is not standard is beyond me, especially since the mirrors are electric anyway!)

Thanks for letting me vent,

Brian

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
You can see what I ordered. I would have ditched the leather for cloth or cloth inserts (as on the M3) but I couldn't, so I didn't.

The CA is kind of a "mandatory option" since if you don't order it, it makes starting the car a more complicated process by one step.

I use a Garmin since it's much cheaper than the BMW system and they'll be introducing vastly superior devices at a lower price every year.

The 6-speed is a "mandatory non-option" for me.:thumbup:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't get the NAV. Its a techno thing that'll be oudated in a few years, and the updated discs are $200 per year. Most of what it controls is redundant (ie., audio, heat & A/C, etc...) in that they can be controled from the traditional places ergonomically placed in your car. The big exception to the redundant features is GPS. If you want a GPS get a superb hand-held Garmin for a fraction of the cost (less than $500)) of the BMW NAV system. The updated discs are ~ $100 and you can download them online. That, and you can take your GPS can be either battery operated or plugged into your cigarette lighther, and taken with you in any car or motorcycle, hiking, bicycling, etc... That, and five years later you don't have an outdated piece of crap hardwired into your car (like the hard wired cell phones installed as options in the early to mid 90s).

By comparison to a good hand held device, the BMW Nav system (and Mercedes', Lexus, Infinity, etc..., and etc...) is a huge waste of money. Its a shame that its shoved down our throat if you want to get a 5, 6, or 7 series.

Good stuff:
- The bluetooth feature is magnificent. If you use your cell at all then look at is as a safety item. Particularly if you get manual transmission. All controls are on the steering wheel.
- If you use an iPod then the iPod adaptor is an amazing feature. Its just a USB port in the front armrest, therefore, you can download your iTunes from your computer on to a USB flash drive and plug that into the port of your car. Then your tunes scroll on the dash in front of you with all controls on the steering wheel. I made sure I got it on my daughter's car as a safety device so she wouldn't be looking down and to her right messing with her iPod anymore.

·
resident dj
201 Posts
I have a pretty much base model, except for Auto Steptronic with Paddles, Sport package and iPod.

Looking back at it, if i had a chance, i would swap auto for manual and get bluetooth. Everything else is completely useless to me. Oh, and I'm gonna also add an alarm. I just want that clown nose to blink and keep stupid mofos away from my ride.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a pretty much base model, except for Auto Steptronic with Paddles, Sport package and iPod.

Looking back at it, if i had a chance, i would swap auto for manual and get bluetooth. Everything else is completely useless to me. Oh, and I'm gonna also add an alarm. I just want that clown nose to blink and keep stupid mofos away from my ride.
Yours sounds a bit like my E92 328i: manual in alpine white/black. Premium package (for the bluetooth and power seats... wife wanted leather). Only two options/accessories: iPod adaptor and electronic sunshade (for N. TX summers). That's it. KISS theory.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Unlike some others, I really like comfort access. Bluetooth and iPod are essential, the rest I could do without.

If I could do it over I would have gotten an MT instead of AT with paddle shifters. I got AT just in case the wife needs to drive but really, when is she ever going to drive my car?

Sport option goes without saying but must get paddle shifters as well if AT.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
If I could save on US options, these would be the first to go: (excluding transmission choice)

1. Premium package.
2. Leather
3. Cold Weather or heated anything
4. rear PDC
5. Comfort Access
6. Active Steering & Cruise

If I was in Europe, I'd skip: cupholders, automatic climate control, electric seats, and BMW Professional Radio.

DO NOT skip (US once again): sport packet, split-folding rear seats, xenons w/adaptive function.

·
Registered
146 Posts
...We've always been old school using maps/mapquest. ...
I do know where you're coming from, but seeing mapquest described as "old school" makes me feel even older!

As to the original question, you can see what I got in my sig. I'm still happy and no regrets. I ordered the Nav option more for iDrive and the ability to see my iPod menus on the Nav screen than for the navigation system itself. Yes, I paid a lot for that but I like having it all integrated - no wires, no extra installation. And I've ended up using the nav more than I thought I would. Maybe I just like hearing "you have arrived!"

·
Registered
346 Posts
if i had to do it all over again, i would of left Comfort Access off the list - the rest of the options i would keep (maybe add an active steering)

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Good stuff:
- The bluetooth feature is magnificent. If you use your cell at all then look at is as a safety item. Particularly if you get manual transmission. All controls are on the steering wheel.
- If you use an iPod then the iPod adaptor is an amazing feature. Its just a USB port in the front armrest, therefore, you can download your iTunes from your computer on to a USB flash drive and plug that into the port of your car. Then your tunes scroll on the dash in front of you with all controls on the steering wheel. I made sure I got it on my daughter's car as a safety device so she wouldn't be looking down and to her right messing with her iPod anymore.
+1. The iPod/iPhone/BT integration IMO is the only compelling reason for iDrive. Everything is controllable from the iDrive screen as if you were using your device. Until I saw the extent to which BMW integrated the iPod/iPhone/BT into iDrive, I was not sold on iDrive.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wouldn't give up iDrive. Am I the only one that loves the look of the huge Nav LCD in the center of my dash? I love iDrive because of its integration. I hate it for its clunky UI. Get CA (comfort access). It's sooo convenient never having to take my key out of my pocket.

I would have done the iPod 6FL option. I thought my AUX in port would be sufficient to port audio from my iPhone, but the sound quality is sub par - it's good, but not good enough for me (I think the issue may be the crappy Aux cable I'm using or the AUX port itself).

I would absolutely cut out cold weather package - I'm in Los Angeles.

Run Flat tires have got to go. I like the crisp turn in and bite that the stiffer sidewalls give me, but the ride harshness is a bad compromise. Too bad its not an option.

Bluetooth through iDrive great. Hands down not worth not having (if that makes sense). Especially for California drivers facing a new law requiring handsfree headsets.

If you want to skimp on options, I would just forego Cold Weather, metallic paint (I love my jet black when its detailed, I wish I had metallic when it's slightly dirty). Everything else will just leave you regretting the decision to not get it. I don't care if iDrive Nav is crap and will be outdated. I like the Nav bump and huge screen in my dash and I love the RTTI that routes me around traffic in real time.

Unless you're paying cash for your car, the increased monthly financed payment for getting a totally spec'ed out E91 is worth not having any regrets. IMO, I would regret not having the Premium package, sport package, iDrive, and CA. I regret not getting iPod 6FL. I do not regret not getting metallic paint or Cold weather.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
What a can of worms you just opened :)

I have pretty much all options...and love them all. This include Nav and CA! There are plenty of debates about these two options, search if you dare. If I were ordering again today, I'd choose the exact same options. Maybe adding the 19" wheels that were not available when I bought my car.

·
TTSam
745 Posts

You don't need the alarm package to get the clown nose to blink.

It's just a programming item which your dealer can do. In Canada the standard setting for the clown nose is to blink. Again no need for the alarm package.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Nav is probably the most obvious place to cut back. Even if you want a GPS, $200 gets you one that's good enough. AFAIK the only thing iDrive adds is a numerical pressure read-out on the tires. Everything else is accessible or controllable through the stalk on non-iDrive cars. Radio RDS is a little lame, since the non-iDrive radio display has limited characters. But I find the non-iDrive dash better looking than the double hump, mainly because it has less blank space.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
AFAIK the only thing iDrive adds is a numerical pressure read-out on the tires.
How do you get a display of tire pressures? I am aware of the color-coding; is that what you are referring to? Individual tire pressure readings would be another nice feature, but I am not aware of the ability to display individual tire pressure readings.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My preference below. Would still reorder the same thing. Perhaps add Xenon. Nav is good.

·
resident dj
201 Posts
You don't need the alarm package to get the clown nose to blink.

It's just a programming item which your dealer can do. In Canada the standard setting for the clown nose is to blink. Again no need for the alarm package.
I don't think it is true. Maybe Canadian spec cars have alarm pre-installed, but not activated?
I spoke to a friend who is a BMW mechanic and my SA (from another dealership) and both said its not possible without an alarm

1 - 20 of 45 Posts