BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Options for Out of State CPO 650

1189 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  ard
Hello All!

I've done some looking around this forum for a while to determine my options, but couldn't find a good answer, so here it goes:

I'm looking to purchase 2010 CPO 650, but it is 2000+ miles away in California. I live in VA/DC area. What are my options for purchasing and shipping this car to a local dealer?

The car has all of the options and is in the color that I want. I would like to test drive it, so that I'm not just buying it blindly. Should I fly across the country for the test drive and close the deal? Or, can I get it shipped to a dealer locally to do all of that, prior to me buying? Would the dealer do some type of car "exchange" with the local dealer to get it here?

If I have to close the deal in CA, would they do Courtesy Delivery on CPO cars or just new ones? I would be willing to pay an extra $500-$750 for delivery, which seems cheaper than paying $1k+ through a car transport broker.

Do any dealers here have any suggestions or recommendations on how to make this car mine?? What are my options and what would be best?

Thanks!!!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Courtesy Delivery??!!:confused: on a used car?? How does that work?? Oh!! Wait I get it!! All used cars comes from "Used car factory" and delivered to the dealers that orders them.. so a re-route courtesy delivery can be done... :p

Sarcasm off

Seriously.. if want the car, you should fly over and look at it and buy it (and perhaps drive it back and see alil' of America:))

The worst it could happen is you saw the car and its not up to your expectation so you balk, and it cost you the airfare coast to coast. But that is alot cheaper than being stuck w/ it.

Re: Car transprter.. you can find alot cheaper so long as you are willing to 1) not to have "enclosed carrier" 2) willing to meet the carrier in a convinient spot off the interstate. What you need to do is google a bit more. I had car shipped from CA to South Carolina for $600
If you want to test drive the car before purchase you will need to fly over to CA. Dealers do not exchange/trade pre owned cars.

Option A - Fly in test drive close the deal and have the car shipped out
Option B - Fly in test drive close the deal and drive out with one way trip premit but you will be charged CA used tax

A/B are your only options

Option C - talk to your local Pre owned manager or the buyer for your dealer. Tell him/her you are interested in a certain car and how much you are willing to pay up to...he/she may be able to local one at the next BMW auction. They may be able to buy it for you and CPO the car at the center...a good CA/ISM will have a list of upcoming cars...you need to find THE person that handles all these stuff at your dealer
Hello All!

I've done some looking around this forum for a while to determine my options, but couldn't find a good answer, so here it goes:

I'm looking to purchase 2010 CPO 650, but it is 2000+ miles away in California. I live in VA/DC area. What are my options for purchasing and shipping this car to a local dealer?

The car has all of the options and is in the color that I want. I would like to test drive it, so that I'm not just buying it blindly. Should I fly across the country for the test drive and close the deal? Or, can I get it shipped to a dealer locally to do all of that, prior to me buying? Would the dealer do some type of car "exchange" with the local dealer to get it here?

If I have to close the deal in CA, would they do Courtesy Delivery on CPO cars or just new ones? I would be willing to pay an extra $500-$750 for delivery, which seems cheaper than paying $1k+ through a car transport broker.

Do any dealers here have any suggestions or recommendations on how to make this car mine?? What are my options and what would be best?

Thanks!!!
If it is in the bay area, I could test drive it for you. I worked a similar deal when I bought my M3.
OP...

You seem to think that a CPO is some kind of 'special, BMW corporate thing' that separates it from "all the other used cars" IT ISN'T.

The Used Car side (or Pre-Owned) of a BMW dealership is just a used car lot. Same as any other used car lot. They have access to BMW parts, mechanics and BMW Merchandising programs (ie the "CPO" program)

Understand what you are buying...a cpo can be a dog and BMWNA will do NOTHING for you...your sole recourse is through the selling dealer. The only thing BMW covers is the CPO warranty, but any issues with hidden damage, repairs, quality, paint, etc are all between you and the dealer.

Finally, did you really expect that the selling and 'courtesy' dealer would arrange to ship a car to you to INSPECT?!?! What if you declined? Who would pay for the shipping? It costs a BMW used car dealer pretty much the same as it costs you to move used cars across the country...

Come out, inspect, drive home. Or have it trucked home. But you need to see it (and have a PPI if you arent a car person)
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.