BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Im thinking, what if I buy a basic car, and get the options installed I want from off market?

Everything will be alot cheaper too.

Will this ruin my certification?

·
Registered
420 Posts
So Im thinking, what if I buy a basic car, and get the options installed I want from off market?

you sure they are going to be cheaper in the long run? whos the warranty going to be through for those items?

·
Registered
912 Posts
What type of options? Are you aiming for things like HUD or things like lip spoilers?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

If you are talking about Original Equipment (things like navigation, HUD etc), they will ABSOLUTELY NOT be cheaper adding them later. They will ABSOLUTELY be more expensive.

If you are talking about adding third party stuff, then it "could" be cheaper but if you are paying someone else to install it, the savings may not be as much as you think.

Also, if you start adding anything electronic, that could absolutely effect your warranties for said electronics. If you have a problem with your iDrive system, and the dealer you take it to sees a "bolt on" navigation system, they are probably not going to want to warranty anything.

If you are talking about cosmetic things like grills, body kits, and exhausts, that stuff will be cheaper to do after market on, for sure.

It is cheaper to get a BMW with the main options you want, and a 2-3 years old. If you want navigation, etc, either get a car with it on there, or tell yourself you are going to use your phone, or go with a third party solution like something from bimmer tech, knowing that this could effect your warranty for idrive but not caring.

Swapping out the idrive shouldnt do anything with warranty items not related to the idrive though, if that is the question.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts

Which certification are you talking about? And which specific after market equipment are you thinking of?

Yes you can buy lots of after-market products however they will not be the same as factory installed equipment. In general it probably will have fewer features, an interface that is not as well integrated and may in certain instance conflict with other factory equipment. However if your goal is to spend the least amount of money then what you should do is just buy a basic 320i and enjoy it for the fine car that it is. Don't bother spending thousands of dollars on lesser quality after market equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts