BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old Fester
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you do your detailing (zaino'ing or klasse'ing), may I come over to learn some basics? I have never done this before, but now I care enough to ensure my car with a beautiful skin, at least not to degrade the e46 family's reputation. I do not think I want to be a detailing addict that requires detailing every week. Once a month is pretty much my target. I intend to use Klasse All-in-one for its easy-to-use.

I'd appreciate if you can give the newbie a lesson.

Thanks.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Maybe we could even have a little clinic for OC folk. That would be really snazzy! ;)

I hope a couple people step forward. I don't have my car yet, otherwise I might offer a tip or two. :dunno:

--SONET

·
Registered
590 Posts
bing330i said:
I'd appreciate if you can give the newbie a lesson.
Using a polymer is easier and less work than carnauba wax. Is there something in particular you have a question about?

90% of detailing is prep work: clay bar, two wash buckets, microfiber drying towels, etc.

--gary

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
OC detail fest

Bing330i and SONET -

I might be up for something like that.

Bing330i, what exactly did you have in mind? We can use my car and I've got a stockpile of Meguiar's stuff already. Saturday May 18th would be best for me (and I'll double check that).

SONET, good to see you at the LA BMW CCA show Sunday. There were great old cars there including a 2002 Baur (spelling?). When is your car expected in?

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Scott

That is really brave of you to offer you car like that! ;) I need to check my calendar to see about the 18th, hopefully that will work.

I'm hoping my car will be here the first week of June, it is in Status 193 right now. The arrival date depends on whether or not it made the boat today, and if it did, which boat it was put on (2 leaving today).

Click on my sig pic if you want to see how obsessed I am about getting my car heh (updating it now!). :D

--SONET

·
Old Fester
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: OC detail fest

scottn2retro said:
Bing330i and SONET -

I might be up for something like that.

Bing330i, what exactly did you have in mind? We can use my car and I've got a stockpile of Meguiar's stuff already. Saturday May 18th would be best for me (and I'll double check that).

Thanks, Scott.

I think I saw you Sat with your car. 5/18 looks good to me. I do not have anything specific in mind as I've never done this before. I just want to learn step by step to make a dirty car to a clean one within decent hours.

I plan on using Klasse all-in-one. Will the procedures be similar to your application of Meguiar's? What do I need to bring to simulate your techiniques on my dirty car?

We can email to discuss details.
Thanks, [email protected]:) :)

·
Old Fester
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: Orange County, CA Owners: Detailing Tutor Wanted.

Nat Brown said:

Using a polymer is easier and less work than carnauba wax. Is there something in particular you have a question about?

90% of detailing is prep work: clay bar, two wash buckets, microfiber drying towels, etc.

--gary
Thanks, Gary. My knowledge is at the level that I do not know the difference between polymer and carnauba. I am really new to this. I have always paid to have my car cleaned. I will learn some basics from Scott on 5/18.

Thanks

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
You got it

Bing330i - I'll send an e-mail to work out some details.

Anyone else interested? I'm getting the materials together to put an awning (shade cover) off of my garage door opening so we can do this properly. I just hope SONET shows up so I don't screw up! :thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just bought both Klasse's (AIO & SG), have not used them yet as my car is only one month old, I might be interested in stopping by too, I live near the 405 & Valley View.

Is somebody going to be applying Klasse? Is Anyone going to be clay baring? (never done either).

And how long should I wait to use the Klasse, the Klasse distributor that I bought from said I could do it now, whereas the Service Manager at the dealership I bought it from said wait 6 months, which is right??

Seems to me if I do it soon I would not have to clay bar, is that right?

(if you want to personally answer that would be cool, [email protected])

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Here's what I'm thinking

Hi guys -

Here's what I'm thinking:

My car is pretty new (less than 1000 miles) so we should be starting with a pretty good baseline to keep the times per each step pretty reasonable.

I'll drive the car to the LA BMW CCA autocross the weekend before to get it a little dirty and wait until the 18th to do the wash.

On the 18th:
1) Wash the car (and maybe the convertible top depending on product recommendations I'm getting on other threads), and dry the car using some different drying towels for comparison.

2) after the car is clean, look for some spots on the car (on the roadsters, the front or hood area may have some) that aren't very smooth any more and maybe do some surface prep (clay bar). I don't think I have any swirl marks yet, but we can look for some and use something like ScratchX if needed.

3) I haven't checked out the web site for Klasse yet, but depending on what the product(s) are we'll do the polish / wax routine.

4) time permitting, we can demonstrate some interior products and I'll do the Plexus stuff on the plastic rear window (people are always amazed).

For anyone that wants to come, I'll try to have some beer in the frig and my shade awning all set up.

Feel free to bring tools/materials you think may be helpful or want to demonstrate (California water blade, drying towels, Klasse products) and we'll work out a plan for each step.

my email (for info and directions) is :

[email protected]

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
If this is gonna be in OC someplace and nobody involved has bought any Klasse yet, I'll volunteer my bottles so long as they don't come back to me empty. :D

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I'm in HB

I'm in Huntington Beach near the pier. I think Bing330i is going to try acquiring some Klasse but feel free to bring some. I have a very small car (M Roadster) so should not use much.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Trying to get ready

Thanks for the replies (private and posts).

I tried some shade/awning experiments this past weekend and I'm pretty close to something that will work (I've spent about $25 in materials, but those 10' x 10' things at OSH go for about $100).
Right now mine is 11.5' x 9' and with a couple more cheap supports, I think we'll be fine.

Bing330i sounds like he will be able to acquire most of the stuff we need (PS21, Klasse). Does anybody have a nice clay kit?

SONET, are you coming? Send me an e-mail or private message.

ALEE, RIPSNORT - (or any other detail experts) -
Any experts in the Orange County area that want to come by? Any tips for us?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts