Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I ordered my Porter Cable from Coastal tools with the Velcro loop and 6 in. counter weight. Now I need to order the rest of the stuff.

I have a Fern Green 330ci (unlike the Ti Silver, I have never seen another Fern Green 330ci). I have been using Zaino, but I do have quite a few swirls (probably from the dealer ...)

From reading everyone's post (especially Ripsnort) I think I should use the Porter Cable for applying the "swirl remover," then a "polish", and then P21S Paint Cleaner. After that I should put the Zaino on by hand.

But I am a not sure what "swirl remover" I should use. I am thinking 3M Perfect It Swirl Remover or Meg. #9. Any suggestions?

Then I need a "polish." Maybe 3M imperial machine glaze, or Griots #3? Or should I skip the polish and just use the P21S Paint Cleaner?

Next questions are about the applicator pads. How many will I need? I am thinking 3 Orange Polishing Pads --- 1 for the swirl, 1 for polish, and 1 for the P21S Paint Cleaner. Is that too few or too many?

Should I use the Wax Removal Bonnets for removing the Zaino? Or just use micro fiber towels? How many should I buy?

Thanks,

Joe

·
5,820 Posts
Why'd you order the counterweight, the new model comes with it? Polish pads are washable so I don't think you need three. Not knowing all the products you mention, I can't advise specifically, but I think you could use the PC to apply everything. Also, I wouldn't make it too awful of a process or you'll never do it again. I washed, clayed, washed, Griot's Machine Polish 3 (orange pad) and Griot's Best of Show waxed (red pad) my car with the PC. Came out great. Used the yellow microfibre (from Griot) cloths for polish removal and white microfibre cloths for wax removal. I think the removal would be easier with the cloths than bonnet but haven't tried the bonnet. Don't forget the detail spray ([email protected]) for that final lustre.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Joe,

Z5 works pretty well for me. I have a black car and am constantly fighting against swirls. So, here's what I usually do:

Wash
Z5
Z6
Z2
Z6

I think the second layer of Z6 is an overkill, but the results are great! :thumb:

BTW, I use Griot's orange foam pads.

Hope that helps. :thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm with johnlew

Per the advice of a few on this board I ordered a ton of Griot's stuff last week. I had been a Meguiars user. I did a wash, clayed the nasty spots, machine polish with their number 3 and finally two coats of their best of show wax...looks great, all with the PC. You will not need a swirl remover before Griot's polish #3 unless you have some swirl marks that are almost scratches.
Have fun!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Now what?????? hmmm you wait and wait til it come to your door . Then once it get's there, you put it together. Then you go out and start buffing the paint off your car that's if you dont' know how to use it. Keep in mind that this is a high speed buffer and to be very careful with it. If I was you and never used a buffer before, I would use it on a older car or a painted hood (junk yard). If you know how to use it, your good to go:thumb:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
BayDetailz said:
Now what?????? hmmm you wait and wait til it come to your door . Then once it get's there, you put it together. Then you go out and start buffing the paint off your car that's if you dont' know how to use it. Keep in mind that this is a high speed buffer and to be very careful with it. If I was you and never used a buffer before, I would use it on a older car or a painted hood (junk yard). If you know how to use it, your good to go:thumb:
The good thing about the PC is that it's practically idiotproof, expecially combined with Griots #3. You can't hurt the paint. I've watched the Griots guys demonstrate this on an expensive car and put their entire weight on the PC and it didn't hurt the paint a bit. Other polishers and harsh compounds will scratch the paint unless you really know what you are doing and have a deft touch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts