Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm planning on placing my order for a 2016 X3 xDrive35i in a couple of weeks and have a question about negotiating the deal. First, here's my planned build:

2016 X3 xDrive35i
xline
Space Grey
Saddle Brown
Cold Weather Pckg
DHP
Premium Pckg
Driver Assistance
Lighting Package (LED)
Tech Pckg
Surround View
Harman Kardon (standard on the 35)

MSRP is $60,745. I expect to negotiate roughly 8% off the MSRP. $55k would be ideal and fair (I think). My question is: for those of you that have custom ordered (I have not), when should you discuss the pricing with the salesperson and how much pushback should I expect? Having negotiated many deals, I can usually use the "this car isn't perfect, but another $1000 would make it look better" line. That, obviously, doesn't work here.

I respect all comments and/or suggestions related to the question or my build. Thanks in advance. Some smart people on this board!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Following the advice of many on this forum I negotiated up from invoice, less incentives. I had $1000 UDE credit so paid under invoice. There is a $1000 option credit this month as well as some good financing rates.

Also, since you are ordering consider using a sponsor and picking up at the Performance Center if it's not too far. It's a great experience.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
How competitive is the NC area as far as BMW dealers are concerned, that usually determines how much of a discount you will get. Here in the Northeast, I can easily order a X3 at invoice pricing which is about 8% off. Like others have said, start at invoice and see where it goes from there. Looking at Edmunds, the invoice for your car is $55500 and average paid in your area is $56800. From my experience with Edmunds, the average paid price is usually a bit high, you should be able to get invoice pricing if you shop around. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! NC is pretty competitive and I'm dealing with the market leader, so I imagine they can get there. They've already thrown out the $1000 incentive this month, but it will likely expire before I register - making it irrelevant (to me).

Since I'm nearby, I'll definitely be picking up at the Performance Center. I will update as the deal unfolds. This is my 2nd BMW from this dealership, so I'm hoping it will not involved a million rounds of back and forth.

·
Registered
695 Posts
X3 sells around its invoice price - in most cases around $500+/-. Some people have gotten a bit better or a little worse. Be mindful of other BMW fees that dealers may charge - look for "MACO" and "Training". Some dealers do not charge the buyer for this, others do. They can eat up that extra couple hundred in savings.

Would love to see the XLine in your build, please post some pics whenever you get it! I can't argue with that combo, as I have the same in M Sport!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! I really hate that you can't get the M Sport with Cold Weather Pckg, otherwise I would go that route. The reason, as explained to me, is that they would have to build 4 unique front bumpers (due to the headlight washers). Still wish sport seats were an "option."

Negotiations are under way. Not offering invoice pricing right out of the gate and wanting to use the trade-in as leverage. All as expected. I will post back once the final deal is struck. May need to involve multiple dealers, which is a time-consuming and pointless game. Hopefully, they agree.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nice! I really hate that you can't get the M Sport with Cold Weather Pckg, otherwise I would go that route. The reason, as explained to me, is that they would have to build 4 unique front bumpers (due to the headlight washers). Still wish sport seats were an "option."

Negotiations are under way. Not offering invoice pricing right out of the gate and wanting to use the trade-in as leverage. All as expected. I will post back once the final deal is struck. May need to involve multiple dealers, which is a time-consuming and pointless game. Hopefully, they agree.
Yes, you can. You cannot get M Sport with Drivers Assistance Plus, however. Whoever told you that is badly mistaken.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The way I understand it is that you can get any 2 steering wheel options but not all 3. Paddles (M sport), vibration (assistance) and heat (cold weather).

I went with X line. Don't like the sport seats, not crazy about the M sport bumpers, love the X wheels.

http://imgur.com/gallery/RKLvZ

·
Registered
695 Posts
The OP stated that he/she could not get the Cold Weather package with M Sport. This is not true at all. M Sport can be ordered w/Cold Weather.

In regards to Cold Weather combined with the driver's assistance packages, that is another story. As of 2015, you could order an M Sport w/Drivers Assistance, but not w/DA Plus - as the heated steering wheel conflicted with the vibrating steering wheel.

The online builder also confirms this - you cannot add M Sport w/DA Plus (which also requires DA), but you can have Cold Weather w/DA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all on this post and other threads. Ordered today, per the specs listed. $500 over invoice. Probably could have held out for more, but they also offered very favorable trade-in terms. So, now we wait. Pics will follow upon picking up in SC.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ordered an x3 last week from the same dealer (I think) in Raleigh and was curious what the process is for a performance center pickup.
My car was modified from one that was about to begin production and will be ready in 3 weeks.
Think it's too late to do an SC pickup and will it delay the delivery?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I ordered an x3 last week from the same dealer (I think) in Raleigh and was curious what the process is for a performance center pickup.
My car was modified from one that was about to begin production and will be ready in 3 weeks.
I'd call your CA and work on that now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would call them and see if you can be worked in. There are a limited number of slots at the PCD each month, so you need to have your dealer pulls some strings. But, it's worth it for sure, even if you have to wait a week or two. You will appreciate your BMW so much more after the experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The OP stated that he/she could not get the Cold Weather package with M Sport. This is not true at all. M Sport can be ordered w/Cold Weather.

In regards to Cold Weather combined with the driver's assistance packages, that is another story. As of 2015, you could order an M Sport w/Drivers Assistance, but not w/DA Plus - as the heated steering wheel conflicted with the vibrating steering wheel.

The online builder also confirms this - you cannot add M Sport w/DA Plus (which also requires DA), but you can have Cold Weather w/DA.

Heated steering wheel is a waste in my opinion- we never use it. If I were ordering again I'd order all the extra technology with the M Sport and forego the heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Yes a real pain. I picked up my x3 35i last week. If you don't need the cold weather package, order M Sport and then get your heated seats as ala carte and you can order the driver assistance plus package which will give you your surround view cameras. In my experience, if you are willing to get one off the lot and wait till the last day of the month you are likely to get a bit more discount. I picked mine up on the 30th and ended up getting almost 11 percent off. Of course mileage may vary on your negotiations. This was my family's 16th unit from this dealership since 2009. Good luck. regardless on what you get, because it is 35i you will loooove it :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
M Sport can be ordered with Cold Weather Package....just not CWP with Driver Assistance Plus...they cannot be combined....!

I couldn't disagree more about the heated steering wheel. IN the north east, maybe its just my body's response to cold, but having the heated wheel combined with the heated seats, makes 5 degree weather in the morning to work feel so much better. The heated wheel works great, IMO, as well as the head light sprayers, especially with clearing the salt and grime that gets stuck on, and especially at night.

If you cannot order an M SPORT with COLD WEATHER...that is NEW for 2016 ONLY. Either the sales associate is wrong, or he/she is confusing the fact that you cannot order cold weather with driver assistance plus package (which has the vibrating wheel, etc.).

·
Registered
43 Posts
M sport and cold weather are orderable for 2016. Mine is being built as we speak.
I was also able to add the surround view.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The heather seats + heated steering wheel are soooo nice when there are single-digit temperatures and all the blowing is going to the defroster. BTW, sorry to be off-topic, but is that normal on the 2013 that if you have the defrost setting on, it shuts off all other vents? Seems bizarre not to be able to split where the air is blown. As soon as the defrost button is off, it reverts to the original settings (upper, mid, lower vents, or any combination of the three).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts