·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Cn90--why the change of syn to dino oil in the summer? May want to try this myself. Back last summer when
the temp was pushing 100 and better my oil pressure alarm would flutter and go red with chiming bells and all.
When the temps became cooler, never had a peep out of the problem again. Just wondering if dino oil might be the solution for this deal when it starts getting warm again.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I like the green oils. Is it cold pressed?
Nothing beats the organic extra-virgin at Costco! (the small size'd one).

Anyway, I have never been to an O'Reilly in my life ... so I hit up their store locator for the center of the Silicon Valley:
- O'Reilly store locator

And I was shocked to see more than a dozen surrounding my area!

Gotta check 'em out!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am surprised to be the first to say something about switching from synthetic to regular oils.
It has always been my understanding that switching, thus mixing, the two should not happen. I am in no way a chemist but in the motorcycle industry mixing is not recommended.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am surprised to be the first to say something about switching from synthetic to regular oils.
It has always been my understanding that switching, thus mixing, the two should not happen. I am in no way a chemist but in the motorcycle industry mixing is not recommended.
Might have been true years ago (early 1990s).
These days it is perfectly fine to switch back and forth. I have done so for 15 years, zero problems.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Might have been true years ago (early 1990s).
These days it is perfectly fine to switch back and forth. I have done so for 15 years, zero problems.
That's strange...
I have heard that it IS bad to switch back and forth between synthetic and non-synthetic because of the detergents in synthetic oil.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Well, I'm not surprised. I know that I have done it. Maybe that mindset comes from using vegetable based oils back in the 70's. (Castrol R, Blendza) Either way it's good to know whats up. Thanks :thumbup:
Yea! Someone who remembers when Castrol actually had castor oil in it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The whole debate about switching back and forth from synthetic is something that interests me.

I've heard you can't, heard you can, etc. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather use new Dino oil in place of old synthetic oil of I needed to. I use synthetic because I like the long service interval (I run Castrol and Mobil 1's respective 15,000 oils on a 10,000 interval).

As far as winter starting goes, my 530i has synthetic, but my Jeep has Dino oil (Mobil 5000 10W30). I don't notice any difference in start-up and if I did I'd probably attribute it to battery and starter conditions between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think Castrol even sells an oil (or they used to) that's a blend of synthetic and regular oils.
All companies do. Anything labeled "high mileage" is a synthetic blend.

Examples:
Castrol GTX (green bottle)
Valvoline Maxlife (red bottle)
Quaker State and Pennzoil versions are labeled as "High Mileage", I don't believe they have a specific name.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
While this is obviously working out for CN90, I think it is false economy. I would stick with a high quality synthetic year round. Synthetics can go longer between oil changes, which can off set some of the added cost (I have seen Penzoil Platinum for $4 a quart on sale at AutoZone if you watch the sales). I am now at 157,427 miles on my car, just changed the oil this evening (7500 mile intervals since new) and it looks pristine when you look inside the oil fill hole....chains and interior look very clean, no sludge or crude anywhere. :) I have only used 5w-30 synthetics....mostly LL-01 rated, but a few times I strayed... ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.