Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you may have seen me mention that my wife's TLX lease is up in a few months. After leasing 6 Acuras over 15 years, I'm fed up. The '16 TLX V6 Tech is the worst performing Acura by far. Two main issues. The 9-speed tranny is awful, even in sport mode, the thing turns the car into a slug. The shutdown of 2 cylinders on low power load transforms the car into a vibrating annoyance.

We need to hold her car price down in the low- to mid-40's. She also does not want a larger car, maybe something even a little smaller (she says). Replacements I've thought of are Alfa Romeo Giulia and Volvo S60, possibly even the Lincoln MXZ (!) -- great power and can probably get a great lease, they are not selling well. The Lincoln is somewhat larger though, and she thinks of it as a "luxury" car, not sure she would go for it.

Yesterday I had some time off and went to see the Giulia. Conclusion -- I would lease this for her in a minute! We would be getting a Ti AWD. The model I drove was a Ti AWD Sport, almost the same, with 19" wheels and sport seats. It has the same 4-cylinder turbo, 280 hp, 306 torque.

The engine was quite torquey and peppy, hardly any low-end lack of push. You know how initial test drives go, I couldn't pay attention to every aspect, but the power was there. The steering was EXCELLENT, and sad to say, now reminds me how my earlier BMW's felt. Must be the steering ratio, the steering turned the car like a go-cart.

I seriously doubt the Volvo will perform anywhere near the Giulia. Have to get my wife out to try it. The Acura lease ends in May. Sounds like I'm gushing I guess, but it seems like a fun car in the mid-40's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Some of you may have seen me mention that my wife's TLX lease is up in a few months. After leasing 6 Acuras over 15 years, I'm fed up. The '16 TLX V6 Tech is the worst performing Acura by far. Two main issues. The 9-speed tranny is awful, even in sport mode, the thing turns the car into a slug. The shutdown of 2 cylinders on low power load transforms the car into a vibrating annoyance.

We need to hold her car price down in the low- to mid-40's. She also does not want a larger car, maybe something even a little smaller (she says). Replacements I've thought of are Alfa Romeo Giulia and Volvo S60, possibly even the Lincoln MXZ (!) -- great power and can probably get a great lease, they are not selling well. The Lincoln is somewhat larger though, and she thinks of it as a "luxury" car, not sure she would go for it.

Yesterday I had some time off and went to see the Giulia. Conclusion -- I would lease this for her in a minute! We would be getting a Ti AWD. The model I drove was a Ti AWD Sport, almost the same, with 19" wheels and sport seats. It has the same 4-cylinder turbo, 280 hp, 306 torque.

The engine was quite torquey and peppy, hardly any low-end lack of push. You know how initial test drives go, I couldn't pay attention to every aspect, but the power was there. The steering was EXCELLENT, and sad to say, now reminds me how my earlier BMW's felt. Must be the steering ratio, the steering turned the car like a go-cart.

I seriously doubt the Volvo will perform anywhere near the Giulia. Have to get my wife out to try it. The Acura lease ends in May. Sounds like I'm gushing I guess, but it seems like a fun car in the mid-40's.

I also drove the Guilia ti sport q4 last week. Great car. I wrote my review on the f30 forum. Usually the sweet spot for Guilia leases is 24 months. Go on wither leasehacker or the Edmunds lease forum to see if people are getting good lease deals during your time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,474 Posts
Alfa has devotees like BMW. I had a '72 GTV and loved it. But the new ones except for the Quadrofolgio sp?) that has a Ferrari derived engine (pluses and minues about that for a daily driver) are Chrysler derived. Car and driver was mixed on it: https://www.caranddriver.com/alfa-romeo/giulia

I'd inquire about service too. And never let that first car test drive be the determinant. IMHO there are lots of alternatives to consider. That doesn't mean Alfa is a bad choice; it just means don't go overboard just yet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looks like a nice car. From the side it also looks like a BMW 3 Series to my eye. Is it about the same size? An interesting car and I agree that if I were getting into an Alfa I would probably lease it. Not sure I would want to own one out of warranty without more experience in them. If you lease isn't up for a couple of months, I Would suggest keeping a good relationship with the salesman and go back a few times for a few extra test drives. --Bob

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Always loved driving Alfas. Used to have a red GTV in the early 60's and had to sell when we were shipped to the Philippines (USAF).We drove both the present sedan and the SUV and we really liked the SUV. In fact, last week they had one parked by the entrance of our Costco and we saw a few people getting their photos taken next to it. One thing that they seem to have in common with BMW is the weight distribution and handling.

As for the Volvo, I also have owned and love them. I also like that you get oil changes, etc. as part of the deal. Every year we go to the Dallas Auto Show and we take our brake in a Volvo. Traditionally they have the best seats and some of the best interiors of all cars at the show.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Mark - Here's CU's review of the Stelvio, similar to the one we drove in Ft Worth. He complained about the position of the Ferrari-like start/stop button.We loved it there, no need to reach in order to press it!

Around here you can get one after heavy discounts! I have yet to see any Alfa with front license plates...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0-f3q4dAHM

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark - Here's CU's review of the Stelvio, similar to the one we drove in Ft Worth. He complained about the position of the Ferrari-like start/stop button.We loved it there, no need to reach in order to press it!

Around here you can get one after heavy discounts! I have yet to see any Alfa with front license plates...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0-f3q4dAHM
Thanks I'm out and about at the moment, will check later. If he only complained about the start/stop button that's pretty good! The SA had started the car to bring it around, I didn't notice the button until we came back and time to turn it off. They had a dark blue Stelvio in the small showroom with red leather, it looked sharp.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Giulia has a good rep. Having been alive when Ford released the Edsel, I can't help but see a resemblance. I really dislike the front grill.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Dark blue/red leather...Wow!!! Only black car I've ever had in all my years was a '74 Lancia Coupe with red leather. The color combo was the only reason I got a black car. That car was so much fun to drive!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Giulia has a good rep. Having been alive when Ford released the Edsel, I can't help but see a resemblance. I really dislike the front grill.
I recall the Edsel. My dad took me with him to look at it when we were living in San Juan in late 40's.

The grill actually looks better in the Stelvio than in the Guilia. I've always been a big Alfa fan and even the ugly four door sedans of early 60's were great to drive.

Funny thing, when we were living in Ankara, Turkey in the mid 70's all the city busses where Alfa-Romeo. No, they did not have the Alfa iconic grill. I never saw one of those in Italy!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I recall the Edsel. My dad took me with him to look at it when we were living in San Juan in late 40's.
The Edsel was released in 1958.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The Edsel was released in 1958.
Pappy, you are right. Around 1947-49 I recall my dad getting excited about an article in the leading newspaper in San Juan about a showing of "the car of the future". Perhaps it was a Tucker! We went to see it on a Sunday. In those days the leading show cars where inside and just like the stores they had big glass windows.
My best recollection was my dad drooling about it!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Quality on Alfa's sucked 35+ years ago and the long term tests I've read on the new one indicates it still sucks. Leasing and warranty mitigates the cost, but not the hassle.

I would be looking at a Genesis G70 or Kia Stinger GT. For the same money you can probably get the V6, which makes it as fast as our 540s.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Pappy, you are right. Around 1947-49 I recall my dad getting excited about an article in the leading newspaper in San Juan about a showing of "the car of the future". Perhaps it was a Tucker!
That's when Tucker came out and they had a similar look.

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,346 Posts
I'll buy Italian designed/made shoes and handbags....but not cars.I don't enjoy hanging around the service departments of car dealerships that much.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'll buy Italian designed/made shoes and handbags....but not cars.I don't enjoy hanging around the service departments of car dealerships that much.
Anyone have direct experience with late model Giulia or Stelvio's? BMW's get a bum rap too, but I've owned 5 BMW's and only my '08 335i had issues other than normal maintenance (HPFP). Never had a BMW service issue. I never keep a car past the warranty period, but I agree, frequent service, even under warranty, is a hassle.

·
Super Moderator
7,064 Posts
Anyone have direct experience with late model Giulia or Stelvio's? BMW's get a bum rap too, but I've owned 5 BMW's and only my '08 335i had issues other than normal maintenance (HPFP). Never had a BMW service issue. I never keep a car past the warranty period, but I agree, frequent service, even under warranty, is a hassle.
I have both at work.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
7,064 Posts
S60, no. I have not driven the S60 T8 or polestar 2 yet.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts