BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

[OT] I want a Mini!

1310 Views 19 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ff
So I was just over at miniusa.com pricing out my dream Mini Cooper S. What a little rocket that thing is gonna be. 0-60 in 6.9, 170hp of blown 4-cylinder power mated to a 6spd Getrag... gorgeous interior! My fully-loaded Mini-S was just under $26k, which I think is a steal for the car that you're getting.

Anyone else think this is a sweet little ride?
1 - 3 of 20 Posts
webguy330i said:
So I was just over at miniusa.com pricing out my dream Mini Cooper S. What a little rocket that thing is gonna be. 0-60 in 6.9, 170hp of blown 4-cylinder power mated to a 6spd Getrag... gorgeous interior! My fully-loaded Mini-S was just under $26k, which I think is a steal for the car that you're getting.

Anyone else think this is a sweet little ride?
Too spendy and small, IMHO. If I'm spending 26K, a WRX sportwagon or a GTI VR6 6 speed is the natural choice. Both offer a lot more performance but (more importantly) a lot more room.

Actually, if I were shopping for a hot hatch (and I sort of am, in an off-handed way), I'd go with the GTI 1.8T or the SVT Focus and save 6 grand. The Focus, especially, is supposed to be the second coming in terms of handling. Although it's straight line speed is not up to Mini Cooper S standards, it has more room and when I really want to rock and roll, 6 grand will buy a lot of gas for the M3.
webguy330i said:
See I'm not so concerned about the room. I like the looks, and I can't imagine it would take too much to make this thing a sub-6s 0-60 mini monster.

Maybe since you have an M3, we have different priorities when it comes to a 2nd car. =)
Probably, yeah.

Actually, I just went over to the Mini site and built my own. Being judicious with the options list (no packages, SR, HS, MF wheel, std. paint, 'ette) the MSRP is a more reasonable 21,270 or something. That's actually pretty reasonable; though it's more expensive than the Focus, it's within a couple of grand. Of course, dealers will gouge for 6 months or so, and I'm concerned that the Mini will very much be a fad car like the Beetle, but at that price point I will consider one.
Re: mini will set a benchmark for FWD handling.

blackdawg said:
probably on the same plateua as the new focus SVT.

it's amazing what shorter wheelbase cars can do in terms of FWD handling.

i would really love to have one, too! three dogs just don't fit into that picture, though.

(sighs).
You just need to get smaller dogs. You know, smaller dogs weigh less, are faster, eat less, live longer...:thumb:
1 - 3 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.