Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a reputable site for laptop reviews (like dpreview.com for digicams)? Nothing decent has turned up on Google.

Or better yet maybe someone here has a suggestion for a lappie. I'm looking for something under 5lbs., Pentium-M, if it has a 12.1" display then XGA, or if it's ~14" then SXGA or better. Built-in 802.11B/G, NIC, 30GB or bigger HD, firewire would be good but not essential, CDRW+DVD would be nice, long battery life a big plus. I need it within a week so Dell is out (Dell outlet might work though). I'm avoiding HP and Compaq and trying to stay under $1800 if possible. I'm thinking IBM X31 or T40, but some side-by-side reviews and first-hand accounts of quality/reliability would be nice...

Thanks! :thumbup:

--SONET

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I second IBM, though I haven't had a chance to touchy-feely the new Chinese ones. If you want a 12"er, the X40 will replace the X31 shortly, so that's bad timing.

The bad part about all of this is that most good machines aren't available retail, so you really can't go touch one before mail-ordering (ThinkPads, nc-series HPs, better Toshibas).

Also, your budget is going to keep the truly good out of reach. Forget 14" SXGA+ entirely. 2-spindle Centrinos with DVDCDRW are out. sub-5-pounders with any half of those specs are out. Dig around for another $400-$500, or find some stackable coupons or something, then you're in business.

·
meroglot
12,906 Posts
Sony Vaio, PCG-505--

Mine has 12.4" xga, 2.0 pentium4M, built in 802.11B, DVD/CDRW, 40g hard drive, +++

You can get thema t any Circuit City, Best Buy, Comp Usa for under$1600. Mine has been realtively flawless.

·
Any ride will do
17,472 Posts
Toshiba Satellite or VAIO.

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
Come to TS 10 and check out my T40p. I LOVE it! Thanks to Stuka and WhatApex?!? for convincing me to get this one. :thumbup:

·
Any ride will do
17,472 Posts
nate328Ci said:
VAIOs suck donkey balls.

And they do it faster and for less than IBM laptops. :p

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention... trying to stay away from Sony as well. So I guess IBM it is. Not too happy that they are made in China though. I guess if their QC is good enough then it shouldn't matter, but still...

I like everything about the T40 except for the fact that it's XGA. It doesn't make sense to me to carry around a 14" display (and hence a bigger laptop) unless it can support a higher resolution than a 12.1" display. I guess I could get past that, but it just doesn't seem right...

I had read about the X40 but I'm afraid that it may take too long before I can get one. I'll have to look into that tomorrow morning. I think they are being released officially on Tuesday. Anyone know if there are any local retailers that carry IBM laptops?

I'm seeing a Dell Inspiron 300M w/ 1.2 pent-M 384MB 40GB 5400rpm, bluetooth, built-in wireless, dvd/cdr, NIC... for under $1600. Anyone familiar with these units? It seems that Dell quality has gone downhill with their desktops, is the same true with their laptops?

Raffi - this might change but it doesn't look like I'm going to make it on Saturday. :( Thanks for offering to bring your lappie though, 'preciate it!

Thanks again guys.

--SONET

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
You can get a SXGA+ 1400x1050 14" display with the T40/T40p/T41/T41p. I saw a sign at my local CompUSA their Corporate Sales department in the store resell Thinkpads. It's not on the display shelves though.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
CUSA and some small independent places do carry the occasional TP, but 'enterprise' machines are usually BTO/CTO (built to order) so you're probably not going to find an exact configuration in stock.

I took a quick peek at cdw.com and it appears there is a T40 SXGA+ DVDCDRW centrino for <$2k available now.

·
Living on the redline
27,240 Posts
been happy with my Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop I bought a yr ago, no issues except the fan that was whisper quiet when new is now a tad noiser, not the lightest/smallest nor the heaviest/largest model they offer, but it serves full-time duty as I currently don't own a desktop so I wanted more power and features than just a travel-mate.

I did have one problem early on when the keyboard stopped working, Dell support walked me through loosening and retightening the case screws, apparently an internal grounding issue I presume :dunno: , never occurred again.

PC World picks:

http://aolsvc.pcworld.aol.com/computercenter/aol/article/0,aid,112471,00.asp

·
Registered
63 Posts
IBM T40 is terrific... lightweight... rugged construction...
plus... keyboard is like buttah... If I were you, I would go for that one... w/o second thoughts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts