BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I realize the Accord is no competition for our vehicle, but I thought this was interesting. The New Accord V6 will have 240 HP, 5 speed auto, dual zone temperature control, available voice activated DVD Nav, DVD and MP3 players, 27% more rigid, and should earn 5 star ratings all around and a good in the IIHS offset test (only two other cars manage this according to the article, the IS300 and S60).

While it's a completely different league than our cars, I wonder where BMW will go with the 3ers. Especially considering all this can be had for under $30K.

Enthusiast will definitely stick to BMWs, but it's amazing how features are trickling down nowadays.

http://www.auto.com/industry/accord25_20020725.htm

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Honda is really upping the content and features on the new Accord, at least on the higher end models. I have a friend at Honda, and we talked recently about what they're doing with the new car.

In addition to the above, it has EL gauges like the ones on the Lexus LS. :yikes:

What I wonder is if they're gonna hold the line on prices, or really start moving it upmarket. Right now, you can get a stripper DX Accord for the price of a LX Civic (like $14k)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The article mentions a new Coupe with a 6-speed. With a 240HP 6-speed FWD coupe in the model line, there really isn't much room for the current Acura CL-S. Hopefully this is a sign that they will move it onto a RWD platform for some true G35-E46 competition. Honda learned from it's Prelude-Integra in-house competition, so I doubt they will let the CL-S go on in its current state. :thumbup:

Still no V6-Clutch combo for the 4-door to battle the Altima-6-Passat: :thumbdwn:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
But you can get a CL-S or TL-S in 6MT.

There seems to be some talk of the TL moving upmarket a bit and another 4dr Acura being introduced to fill in the area between the new Accord and the TL, sorta to replace the old 4dr Integra, which although didn't have a huge market, left a hole in their productline.

Interestingly, in Canada, there is an Acura version of the Civic sedan called the 1.7EL.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Kaz said:
But you can get a CL-S or TL-S in 6MT.

There seems to be some talk of the TL moving upmarket a bit and another 4dr Acura being introduced to fill in the area between the new Accord and the TL, sorta to replace the old 4dr Integra, which although didn't have a huge market, left a hole in their productline.

Interestingly, in Canada, there is an Acura version of the Civic sedan called the 1.7EL.
I just said you could get a CL-S with a 6-speed, and mentioned that an Accord Coupe with a 6 would be in competition with it. Unlike the friendly competition b/w the Accord and TL, the market here is just too small to have 2 models in it.

The 1.7EL is an interesting car, definitely a better deal than a loaded Civic. It has the VTEC engine, which is unavailable in a 4-door Civic in Canada. I still think the previous model, the 1.6EL, with low-profile Michelin XGT rubber and sport suspension was a much better car. The new one is trying more to be a mini-3.5RL than TL-S. :tsk:

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
DaveN323i said:
If I was in the market for that type of car, I may consider the new Mazda 6.

Between Honda and Mazda, I think Mazda makes less boring cars.
I have to agree with you on this. Honda's are typically boring cars to look at. The new Accord is no different. Then again, they are targeted to people who care more about reliability than anything else.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Ack said:
The Acura TL-S does not come with a 6-speed manual and I'm not sure if it will. Also, I have been reading in different magazines that Acura is thinking of nixing the CL-S. It isn't doing very well with sales. That and the fact that the TL-S's are blowing automatic transmissions like they were made out of plastic.
Hmm, that's odd, though you're right, there is no TL-S 6speed. Somehow I coulda sworn it existed even before the CL-S 6speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.