Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Putting my christmas list together. Thinking of asking for one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/VonHaus-Poli...id=1544637451&sr=8-1&keywords=vonhaus+6"+dual

I have never owned one. I either wax by hand (rarely) or pay someone to do it (more common, once a year). I have always been anxious about these burning up the clear coat. But I think since this one has six speeds, I should be ok. Thoughts on this topic and the one I linked to?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have a Porter-Cable 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Buffer. Works real nice when I get the time to use it. Good claying and prep is the key to success. Visit the AutoGeek website, they got everything for prepping, polishing and waxing that you can imagine.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I cannot offer any insight on that specific polisher. I have the Harbor Freight version and it works OK for me. From what I have read it is underpowered relative to the other offerings, but some of those (Rupes, Meguiars etc.) cost 4-6x more. Underpowered is fine for me as that helps me to not overwork the paint since I am an amateur. I use mine to polish and not for wax/sealant application. I can do that quicker with better feel by hand.

With a coupon the Harbor Freight polisher can be had for around 50 bux. Their pads fall apart quickly so make sure you buy some good quality pads.

·
Banned
151 Posts
What kind of pads are you using with the HF one? I have one too I haven't used. People say just to buy new 6.5 backing pad also since the one that came with it doesn't last long.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cannot offer any insight on that specific polisher. I have the Harbor Freight version and it works OK for me. From what I have read it is underpowered relative to the other offerings, but some of those (Rupes, Meguiars etc.) cost 4-6x more. Underpowered is fine for me as that helps me to not overwork the paint since I am an amateur. I use mine to polish and not for wax/sealant application. I can do that quicker with better feel by hand.

With a coupon the Harbor Freight polisher can be had for around 50 bux. Their pads fall apart quickly so make sure you buy some good quality pads.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking the same. Underpowered is a good thing for an armature like me. I was hoping to to wax on wax off with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
08,535XI
242 Posts
Um, spend a little extra and hook yourself up from the get go. You will kick yourself if you don't
The Harbor Freight would be a better option in my eyes on the cheap. Yes I have used one. Compared to the PC7424xp not much difference.

The Griots 6" DA is a little more which is regarded as 'the one' to buy for starting out.

You will also want a 5 inch backing plate with any of those to keep the pad rotating easier.
Then there is pads...my faves are Lake Country.

I have a Porter Cable with the 5 & 3 inch backing plate. I used this for a year then bought a Flex 3401vrg during Autogeeks Christmas sales.
God do I love my Flex with a 5 inch backing plate. This beast will turn anything because it is direct drive.

Spend wisely at first then after you are hooked with swirl removal and LSPs spend your money foolishly on all the crazy new products.

·
4th BMW
474 Posts
Detailing

porter cable is the one. I use the Makita for heat on the woolly. Quickest way to ruin your car's paint is to attack it not knowing what your doing. I was fortunate enough to have taken classes with Sam Langford @ four star products in Bradenton , Fla. Made me practice on an old car hood. You'll be Ok with the orbital and the proper foam pad and proper polish. However, you will probably show off some bigger scratches that don't come out worth that tool. I've seen some who polish the paint off their cars.:dunno:

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I have a Porter-Cable 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Buffer. Works real nice when I get the time to use it. Good claying and prep is the key to success. Visit the AutoGeek website, they got everything for prepping, polishing and waxing that you can imagine.
I've got the same Porter-Cable. Which ever one you get make sure you buy the correct pads for the application.

·
Wingnut
3,710 Posts
ive the same porter cable one as mentioned above a few times. i like using it, and like the job it does.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Joe I have the griots 6" one, ive had it for years Ive touched everyone of my cars with it and never screwed anything up. In fact last week I compounded then waxed my s550 and my x5 back to back. Fresh detail before winter.:thumbup: its about 150 bux and made very well.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe I have the griots 6" one, ive had it for years Ive touched everyone of my cars with it and never screwed anything up. In fact last week I compounded then waxed my s550 and my x5 back to back. Fresh detail before winter.:thumbup: its about 150 bux and made very well.

Thank you my old trusted friend. Hope you are well. Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
you too! Merry Christmas. hows the 540 holding up? anything new to the stable?

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you too! Merry Christmas. hows the 540 holding up? anything new to the stable?

Not yet. A new house has me sidetracked. Always looking for an M5. Got an Infiniti. Kind of boring though. How about you?
Merry Christmas.!

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Infinity!!! bleahhhhh:rofl: so far same cars. moved 4 years ago and still always doing construction. changed the wheels on my sclass... :thumbup: been working on some 80's bmxs! lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts