BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are other more active Z-4 owners forums that most use. No offense to anyone here, but I've been a member of a lot of owners forums: several different motorcycle forums, Corvette owners, G37 owners, 6th Gen Camaro Owners, Polaris RZR.... etc, and most are very active and easy to get lots of feedback to questions and comments. For whatever reason, this Z4 forum seems to be very tight lipped. Not sure why so few here will chime in and offer advice and/or feedback.

I've posted several questions/comments on here and gotten very few if any responses to most. Looking at posts in general on the site I see most with many many views, and few if any responses. Quite a few with hundreds of views and few if any responses.

I know this forum is full of knowledgeable individuals with lots to offer! Why so quiet?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey I know what you are saying - I've seen posts on here that go unanswered for months on fairly straight forward stuff. I don't know of other more active Zed specific forums that are more active though. We're a small group I suppose. Not many of these are sold each year.

HP

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are correct. I have posted questions on a few z4 boards and feel lucky IF I get one to respond. Have never seen anything like it.

If you do find a Z4 board where people actually attempt to help, PLEASE let me know.

Am not saying there are not a lot of good people here, maybe there are (they just don't type anymore?).

There is already limited info available for these cars, you'd think people would help more- really detracts from the Z4 ownership (is a shame).

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are correct. I have posted questions on a few z4 boards and feel lucky IF I get one to respond. Have never seen anything like it.

If you do find a Z4 board where people actually attempt to help, PLEASE let me know.

Am not saying there are not a lot of good people here, maybe there are (they just don't type anymore?).

There is already limited info available for these cars, you'd think people would help more- really detracts from the Z4 ownership (is a shame).
There are probably fewer still that are wrench turners also. Given the expense of owning, I can see why. I used to do all my work that I was able to, but I just paid for an oil/filter change and rear diff fluid change due to time available to do it my self. It's just so easy to do on a lift vs. crawling around under a car on jack stands it's hard to justify. At this point in my life I don't mind too much paying a reputable shop to do it.

Some day I will have a lift in my garage so that I can get back to it (in retirement of course).

HP

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are probably fewer still that are wrench turners also. Given the expense of owning, I can see why. I used to do all my work that I was able to, but I just paid for an oil/filter change and rear diff fluid change due to time available to do it my self. It's just so easy to do on a lift vs. crawling around under a car on jack stands it's hard to justify. At this point in my life I don't mind too much paying a reputable shop to do it.

Some day I will have a lift in my garage so that I can get back to it (in retirement of course).

HP
I understand that a bunch of the owners do just drive their cars, and a lot have no interest in wrenching. During warranty why would anyone really care?

I guess I am kinda analog in this digital world. I still want a book made out of paper when I work on any mechanical items. There is no paper manual that cover the E89, as last I knew. So, I cannot find anything that covers my issue and I rely on other owners experience so I come here (and other places similar). The electronic manuals just don't help and youtube E89 vids are usually less than helpful).

I love the car, hate (some of) the experience.

And, I still love working on a car on stands (am retired). Shoulda bought a Camaro or ______ (insert any name), these cars are getting older and will require more work soon.

Never felt so alone with any car ownsership, most here can afford nearly any car they want- why should new buyers want a car whose owners are so silent? Beats me? I'm on the fence. Talking about my hobby should be an important part of ownership, this is not the case with our Z4 dammit. Oh well!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with you guys. There is not a lot of posting on this forum, and I've looked into some of the others and they seem to be the same. I had a MX-5 before the Z4 and they have a very active community. I did not expect (considering sales of the Z4) that it would be as active as the Miata forum. However, I was surprised to see that most of the posts on this forum are years old. Maybe the Z4 isn't really an enthusiast's car?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have to admit it is an odd ownership experience for me. As I said in the original post, I've been on many owners forums and the feed back to most posts grows so fast it's hard to keep up with everyone's input.

I understand that the Z4 demographic is probably not the home mechanic type, so a lot of mechanical questions may go un addressed, but even simple questions/comments about general ownership issues etc seems to fall on deaf ears with this forum. Take this post for example. At this writing 613 views and 8 posts...half of them my own! Oh well, different strokes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
These cars are going out of lease and into the hands of tuners and poverty owners like me. There will be an influx of new owners int he next year. Theres not too many issues with the current z4's like the e8x and users are more on performance mods now. Hell everything is perfect on these cars for now (soon we will have more DIY/repairs).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks to Robertd33

I have a similar list. I have bookmarked and categorized a lot of pages which I hope to post soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts