BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to all the wonderful threads on this forum, I went out and bought my new baby. Actually my wifes new baby. Last week was our 21st wedding anniversary. For her anniversary, We bought her a new 2011 33d in jet black, premium pkg, sport pkg, NAV, heated seats, IPOD usb. Seems like a pretty good excuse for buying a great car to me.

This is the second oil burner in the family. My other one is a 2004 GMC duramax crew cab 4X4. The 335d joins our aging but still gorgeous e28 M5 and my track car a 2001 Corvette Z06.

Here is a photo I shot this morning when the sun finally came out in Nor Cal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Congratulations! On both the good looking car and the anniversary! :) Did you order the car or just find the car at one of the dealer lots in the bay area?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought it from my local dealer but the car came from Pleasanton. As you know, there is a glut of these in Nor Cal. Sonnen had several black cars, east bay had several, concord had several...

When is your due in from europe?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ah, nice! Not sure just yet sometime in mid April. Trying to be patient, but the wait is difficult! Especially now that I've driven it and then had to give it back. My friend who went with me on the trip, said that when we dropped the car off in Geneva, that my face looked like a little kid that had to give up his favorite toy. LOL I didn't even realize that I was feeling it that much, I thought I had masked it well.

Oh well, nice to know more diesels are out there, have definitely seen quite a few more on the road around here. My friend has a 335d too, so I get to see his a lot, which helps a bit. Enjoy the new car!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the club! Love black cars...just not for the dust they collect 5 minutes after washing and waxing. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Wow! Your pic certainly sense of excitement. Congrats to you and your misses. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Wow! Your pic certainly portrays a sense of excitement. Congrats to you and your misses. :thumbup:
Wow, proofreading does help! :eek:

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Congrats, nice car.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congrats and good work on that dramatic pic, too Steve! We've all heard the "negatives" about black cars;
they get "swirled" fairly easy in their paint, hot in the sun, yada yada. But-- why are presidential limos almost
always black-- the color conveys a certain sense of "gravitas?" Guess that's the right word-- at any rate, a
clean shiny black sedan kicks some serious azz, in most circles. Just try not to send the car through a commercial
"spinning" brush carwash! I'd be afraid of abrasives in those brushes. I try to always bucket wash my car by hand;
I've got a Space Gray "d."

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought boring Titanium Silver Metallic because it hides dirt. If time were no object, I would have gone with Black or Blue Water Metallic... they both look stellar on the 3. Nice pic by the way and congrats on your D.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with all the bad press about black cars. They look fantastic for about 15 minutes right after a nice wash and wax. My wife wanted black. My first choice would have been a dirt hiding color too. My white car look far better after sitting out for two weeks than my black cars look after several hours... but when they are clean, the black cars look marvelous.

As far as automatic car washes, my black cars dont go anywhere near them. We do have a hand wash shop very close by but the problem is the track they make you drive on. I think they would promptly scuff the 18"wheels. I have had the 1988 M5 (16" rims) washed there once or twice, but I still prefer to do it by hand. That car still looks fantastic after 23 years.

Like many folks out there, I am not a fan of washing cars. My wife washes her own car so the choice is definitely hers...

Here is the other black car:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice M5! (and 335d too of course) Speaking of black e28s I recently sold my diamonschwartz 86 M535i https://sites.google.com/site/86m535i/home and seeing your M5 makes me want to get another one soon! :thumbup:

-Graham
Graham, you had a beuatiful M535i. why did your sell it and If you dont mind me asking, how much did you sell it for? I toyed with selling the e28 M5 but I'm quite sure I would regret it down the road. Mine is all original, with perfect body and near perfect paint (except for a few paint chips on the front). Seems that year paint was prone to chipping. It was a daily driver that went from my garage to another indoor garage for the past 22.5 years. I am the original owner. It has 235K miles and runs like a top. No signs of slowing down whatsoever. I wonder how long these things will continue to chug along. The engine runs the same as it did the day I bought it.

My kids dont want me to sell it either. they view it as a classic that will be hard to replace.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I love black cars but hate maintaining them! Every time I get one I swear it will be the last, but after a few years I succumb and get another! Right now I'm bereft of black but every time I see a clean one, my resolve weakens.

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,353 Posts
As a former owner I can guarantee that you'll love your "d".The only reason that I "turned traitor" is because I needed something bigger.Carrying adults in the back seat was seriously problematic.If the rumors of an F10 diesel had proven true I almost certainly would be driving one today (or waiting for one if an official announcement had been made).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.