BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I can download pictures it is safe to take the car out of the witness protection program.
On the evening of April 23 Rolf met us at the airport and we began a wonderful experience. Rolf took us to the hotel in his diesel 3er station wagon. Rolf spent considerable time with us explaining the subway system, pointing out good places to eat and suggesting Cuba was a good place to find a wife (to my unmarried son). After checking in to the hotel, Rolf dropped us off at the Welt so we could see some the the displays. I knew I had selected a good color for our car when I saw the M6 displayed in Atlantic Blue. We took the subway downtown, walked around sightseeing, and had dinner upstairs in the Hofbrauhaus.
We got up early on the 24th, mostly because I couldn't sleep, and got to the Welt in time for our 7:50 check-in. Went up to the Premium Lounge and were the only ones waiting. We were told that they would deliver 90 cars that day. We also fond out that they no longer will debadge the car because of complaints about marring the paint. At 8:50 Christian picked us up and took us for the history and performance demonstration. The simulator is fun and Christian allowed my son and I to share it. Then it was time! We walked down the stairs and the car was off to the left at the base so I kept staring at it all the way down (but at least I didn't fall). The actual delivery is kind of a blur as I spent most of my time just looking at the car. Christian pointed out the odometer reading of all zeros and said that we had to take a picture of it for the bimmerfile. (How in the world do they get the car from Regensburg to the Welt and not have anything showing on the odometer?) We did our victory lap and turned the car over to the valet for parking so we could take the 11:30 factory tour. (It was hard watching the car disappear, especially with someone I didn't know driving the car.) A pretty young lady lead us through the factory. I still can't believe the coordination of the robots, it was more of a ballet than a manufacturing process. During the tour it occured to both my son and me that the car did not have floor mats. We returned to the Premium Lounge and asked. They said that they would check into it. After about 20 minutes I asked again and got an answer that there should be floor mats and something was to be done. We decided to go ask for the car back and returned to the valet/information desk. They said that the car had been sent to the garage. Eventually the car returned (with floor mats, but we later discovered without the tool kit) and off we went. Rolf had suggested that as we were members of AAA we should get the vests and Austrian autobahn sticker from ADAC. We did and the vests were only about 2 Euros each. After filling up (about 61 euros) we drove over to Schloss Nymphenburg, toured there and returned to the hotel. We took the U-bahn downtown for dinner and went bck to the hotel relatively early.
April 25: We got up early, visited Thomas to fill out the drop-off papers, and hit the autobahn to drive to Rothenburg. We almost immediately violated the instructions Christian had given us at the Welt and exceeded 130kph. About 2 hours later we arrived in Rothenburg, found the hotel and immediately got lost trying to find the parking which was immediately behind the hotel. After taking a scenic tour of most of the old town, we finally found streets wide enough for the car that lead to the parking area. After a nice lunch, we took the 2pm historic tour of the city - interesting, but much of it was an advertisement for museums and stores that we passed. We had a very good dinner in a place near the city museum and then took the Nightwatchmen's tour. This has to be one of the best and funniest tours anywhere. Don't miss it. (I do wonder what he says during the later German version.)
April 26: We drove the Romantic Road through wonderful countryside and arrived at Wieskirke about noon. My son, who had never been in Germany before, later said that the church was the highlight of the trip - mainly because it was such a surprise. We arrived during a mass and the music combined with the decorations left an indelible memory. We then drove to the town just below Neuschwanstein, had lunch and bought tickets for the last English tour of the day, 4:15. We took the shuttle up to Marienbruche, saw the amazing view of the schloss and walked down for our tour. As has been stated here many times, the exterior of the castle is fantastic and the interior is somewhat underwhelming. We then set off to find our hotel near Ruette, Austria. As Rolf had pointed out, gas is about 22 eurocents cheaper in Austria than in Germany. We were about out of gas, so we stopped at the first station after the border. I started to pump the gas and then noticed the sign that said "No credit card"! We both check our wallets, discovered we only had about 30 euros, and stopped the pump there. We drove into Reutte trying to find our way to Ehrenbicl. Here the Garmin failed us because the signs and intersections had changed since the last update. Finally, with a lot of luck, we found the hotel. I had selected it based on Rick Steve's and we found a group from his company there examining the remodeling of the hotel. We had a good conversation with some of them and there may be some mention of bimmerfest in a later edition of the book.
April 27: We took a very scenic drive from Reutte to Linderhof. Schloss Linderhof remains my favorite palace to visit. The size is reasonable, the decorations are overwhelming, and the setting is beautiful. After touring the palace, we walked up to the grotto and (after recovering from the climb) toured it. We then set off for Chimsee where we followed the Alpenstrasse to Birtchesgarten and eventually to Salzburg. It was a Sunday and my attention was divided between the unbelievable scenery and the motorcycles setting landspeed records going up and down the hills. We found our hotel in Salzburg and discovered that most of Salzburg is really a paid parking lot. Fortunately Sunday is free, but all the other days you can only park on the street for three hours, you must pay for it, and (as I understand it) you must have a parking disc to show the time you parked.
April 28: We walked over to the old town and followed the walking tour in Rick Steve's book. The layout of the old town is really neat, especially with all the connecting plazas. After completing the walking tour, we took the funicular up to the fortress for outstanding views, a good historical tour and one of the most scenic lunches I have ever had. We then walked back to the car (parked in the hotel parking lot) and headed for Munich. Along the way we managed to hit the highest speed that we took the car to and my son is still overjoyed to have driven that fast and not had to worry about where the next cop was. After dinner, we made contact with Rolf who met us at MADA in a driving rain (the only real bad weather of the whole trip) and drove us to the hotel at the airport.
The pleasure of this trip would not have been possible without the information I got in this forum. Thanks guys! Now comes the hard part - the wait.

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,692 Posts
where are the pics!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Missing pictures

Hopefully this will have the pictures that were supposed to be in the original post.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Nice post. And great color!

How was Chimsee? I heard there are a lot of great sights to see but would love to hear your input. Also, how much time did you spend there?

Another quick question, what is the "vest" and the austrian autobahn sticker from ADAC you mentioned for AAA members?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just used Chimsee has a turning point, actually exit 106 on the A8.

The Austrians have a law that you must have a safety vest in the car for the driver (and any passengers?) to wear in case of a break down in order to be more visible. The autobahn sticker is a tax (as I understand it) for the temporary use of the roads. AAA members can make use of the ADAC, the German auto club.

·
Registered
650 Posts
So I take it you feel that Chimsee was not too exciting huh? Also, were is the ADAC, or can you pick up vests somewhere else and what is the charge like?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I take it you feel that Chimsee was not too exciting huh? Also, were is the ADAC, or can you pick up vests somewhere else and what is the charge like?
We were limited on time and I wanted to drive part of the Alpenstrasse, so we didn't include Chimsee (that spelling is probably wrong). There is a great Schloss there, Herrenchimsee (SP) and I understand that it is well worth a visit. The lake is beautiful, full of sail boats on a Sunday afternoon. If you are not doing something else, the area is probably well worth a stop.

You can pick up vests at the Welt for about 8 euros each, but they include the BMW logo. I understand you can also pick them up at gas stations near the border, but I don't know the price. Rolf showed us where the ADAC was, but it wasn't on the map we got at the hotel. If you go north from the Welt, you will come to a major ring road in about a mile. Go east on that road for about 1.5 miles and ADAC is on the south side of the street directly across from a large BMW building.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Love the pics!!! I was talking with one my friends from Germany about our stay in Chiemsee. I found it to be a very relaxing, beautiful, and convenient place to stay. We used this as our home base to see sights like Salzburg, eagles nest, salt mines, etc. Herrenchiemsee is also there which is Ludwigs copy of Versaille, also worth visiting.

Nice post. And great color!

How was Chimsee? I heard there are a lot of great sights to see but would love to hear your input. Also, how much time did you spend there?

Love the pics!!! I was talking with one my friends from Germany about our stay in Chiemsee. I found it to be a very relaxing, beautiful, and convenient place to stay. We used this as our home base to see sights like Salzburg, eagles nest, salt mines, etc. Herrenchiemsee is also there which is Ludwigs copy of Versaille, also worth visiting.

Another quick question, what is the "vest" and the austrian autobahn sticker from ADAC you mentioned for AAA members?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Thanks for posting. Your itinerary is similar to ours in June. A few questions:
1. Where did you stay in Rothenburg ?
2. Where did you stay in Salzburg ?
3. From what vantage point (how did you get there ) did you use to take the picture of Neuschwanstein ....very nice pic. In other words, how do I get that pic ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for posting. Your itinerary is similar to ours in June. A few questions:
1. Where did you stay in Rothenburg ?
2. Where did you stay in Salzburg ?
3. From what vantage point (how did you get there ) did you use to take the picture of Neuschwanstein ....very nice pic. In other words, how do I get that pic ?
1. We stayed at Gasthof Goldener Greifen. It is an old mayor's home and is just off the market square. Lot's of atmosphere, but don't expect much in way of moderninity.
2. Artel Hotel Lasserhof in Salzburg. Got it though hotel club. Clean, but plain. It is reasonably close to Mirabell Palace and Gardens, and within walking distance of the Old Town.
3. The picture is from Mary's Bridge. If you take the bus up to the castle, it drops you off about 5 minutes walk above the castle. There is a trail from the bus stop to the bridge. If you listen, you can hear the rushing water. The picture here is from the castle looking back at the bridge.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Atlantic Blue is gorgeous, just stunning really. I remember admiring the M6 and took a few pictures of it myself.

+1 on Rick Steve books. Was really helpful for us in Italy.

The odometer was sweet.:thumbup:

I thought I had a good deal with 0.3 miles but you definitely have me beat!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey, I just wanted to say that we think we saw your car at Harms when we dropped off ours on May 1. We noticed because of the color and the fact that yours was a LOT cleaner than ours! :rofl:

Glad you had an awesome time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts