Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
What did the cops do wrong? At 35 lbs, the dog must have been pretty small, but if it was coming at him...

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did the cops do wrong? At 35 lbs, the dog must have been pretty small, but if it was coming at him...
He/they could have used pepper spray, a boot, or at least fire a round into the ground. I agree that a Chow-German Shepard mix is probably not the friendliest dog, but I think putting 3 slugs in the mutt was a bit extreme...

·
3,762 Posts
I'm all for letting the police use whatever means is necessary to do their job, and protect themselves from anyone or anything. Police are people too, and they have families like the rest of us.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ff said:
I'm all for letting the police use whatever means is necessary to do their job, and protect themselves from anyone or anything. Police are people too, and they have families like the rest of us.
So am I. But they are cops, not pistol wielding bandits. As I said, I just think 3 slugs was overkill, no pun intended. :angel:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Chris330ci said:

He/they could have used pepper spray, a boot, or at least fire a round into the ground. I agree that a Chow-German Shepard mix is probably not the friendliest dog, but I think putting 3 slugs in the mutt was a bit extreme...
And at only 35 pounds it wasn't the biggest dog in the world, but still...if the dog was coming at the cop, I fail to see what he did wrong. Sure, three rounds might sound excessive at face value, but if the cop is going to fire, what's he supposed to do? Fire and then wait to see if the dog stops and if not fire again, and so on until the dog falls over? What if the dog gets to him before that? A cop should be able to get off three rounds in about a second. If he fires at all, he should do whatever its going to take to eliminate the threat. If he fired once dropping the dog and then walked over to it and pumped in two more rounds, that would be a different issue.

Reviewing police shootings is all well and good, but second guessing them with the luxury of time to rationally weigh each piece of information (that may or may not have been available to the cop at the time) and without the fear of your own physical harm is completely unfair way to judge a cop's actions.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

And at only 35 pounds it wasn't the biggest dog in the world, but still...if the dog was coming at the cop, I fail to see what he did wrong. Sure, three rounds might sound excessive at face value, but if the cop is going to fire, what's he supposed to do? Fire and then wait to see if the dog stops and if not fire again, and so on until the dog falls over? What if the dog gets to him before that? A cop should be able to get off three rounds in about a second. If he fires at all, he should do whatever its going to take to eliminate the threat. If he fired once dropping the dog and then walked over to it and pumped in two more rounds, that would be a different issue.

Reviewing police shootings is all well and good, but second guessing them with the luxury of time to rationally weigh each piece of information (that may or may not have been available to the cop at the time) and without the fear of your own physical harm is completely unfair way to judge a cop's actions.
Just for comparison's sake, do you think they would have reacted the same way had it been, say a 35 pound poodle or lab..? I know if Cujo came running around a corner, I wouldn't have a problem stopping it in it's tracks. Maybe it was the stereotype of the breed(s) that spurred the reaction?

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
ff said:
I agree with this.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Chris330ci said:

Just for comparison's sake, do you think they would have reacted the same way had it been, say a 35 pound poodle or lab..? I know if Cujo came running around a corner, I wouldn't have a problem stopping it in it's tracks. Maybe it was the stereotype of the breed(s) that spurred the reaction?
Had it been a different breed, who knows how they would have reacted. Would I feel any different about the shooter's actions if had been a similar sized poodle or lab? Probably not.

20,210 Posts
Bottom line if the dog's owner had kept control of their dog it wouldn't have happened. From what I gathered the owner let the dog roam around the neighborhood unleashed.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
atyclb said:
Bottom line if the dog's owner had kept control of their dog it wouldn't have happened. From what I gathered the owner let the dog roam around the neighborhood unleashed.
It's been hours since I read the story, but I thought it didn't say if the dog was restrained in anyway (like in a fenced yard or on one of those leash tied to a tree things). It did say (I think) that the cops were approaching the house with the alarm through a neighbor's yard. If that enighbor was the one with the dog...

20,210 Posts

It's been hours since I read the story, but I thought it didn't say if the dog was restrained in anyway (like in a fenced yard or on one of those leash tied to a tree things). It did say (I think) that the cops were approaching the house with the alarm through a neighbor's yard. If that enighbor was the one with the dog...
It's very poorly written. I read it again and thought you were right, but then I read AGAIN and this stood out:

Singletary, who said she often let Nevada run around with her outdoors, was in her back yard when she heard shots

She was in her own back yard when she heard shots, so I assume the dog wasn NOT in the same back yard.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
atyclb said:

It's very poorly written. I read it again and thought you were right, but then I read AGAIN and this stood out:
Okay, so you go tme to go back and reread it too :D

She was in her own back yard when she heard shots, so I assume the dog wasn NOT in the same back yard.
Yes, but it also says this:
As they approached the house through an adjacent yard, they were confronted by a 35-pound chow-German shepherd mix
It doesn't say front, side or what...only that the woman was in the back yard. It also doesn't say anywhere if the dog was restrained or not. For argument's sake, let's say it wasn't. You said this before:
Bottom line if the dog's owner had kept control of their dog it wouldn't have happened.
And you're absoluetely right...so why did I say anything? :tsk:

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts