BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Three rivers, I now have the car home took 2 tries about 2 miles each try. I let it cool for 2 hours between tries.
I think it is the thermostat Trying to remove shroud. have the 2 clips on top removed. Shrouds gets stuck on fan. Got too dark to see . Will try to find post
Thanks Sim

·
Registered
15,658 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BMW sucks Heads warped
You think they would they would have an auto engine shut down to protect their fine engine when a 60 dollar part fails and the driver knows nothing about engine temperature or oil pressure.
They can get a fuel injector to add the precise amount of gas for any load condition and do this thousands of times per Minuit but not protect the engine when a thermostat fails the driver ignores or never looks at the temp gauge.
Nick and I installed a chime on our 66 mustang for a hot engine. it is not that hard to do.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Actually the BMW head can be tricky to install.

This is a nice thread on M54 engine head:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1220347

This is the reason I keep telling people to do preventive maintenance on cooling system. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Now you will be spending roughly 30-40h to do the head.

And whatever you do, a cooling overhaul is absolutely needed, unless you enjoy doing the head every 6 months!

·
Registered
'17 540i MSport, '17 X5 35i, '04 325i
313 Posts
BMW sucks Heads warped
You think they would they would have an auto engine shut down to protect their fine engine when a 60 dollar part fails and the driver knows nothing about engine temperature or oil pressure.
I saw a guy in a gas station parking lot with a steaming M52 a few weeks ago dumping a gallon of Prestone into it. I didn't have the heart to tell him the bad news...

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Some people don't know the first thing about their cars until it's too late. Before I bought my 540, I spent a few months researching all the issues with 540's so I knew what to expect and to help me decide if I wanted to deal with them when they inevitably occured. I feel the joy of driving this beast is well worth the trade off of it's maintainence issues. I would much rather fix a BMW than a drive a mundane car that never breaks down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.