1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would an overheated engine not turn?

07 car with N52 and 135k

Water pump, Tstats and ET changed at 100k. Daughter is custodian of car

Car had a known small leak in radiator and needed a cup of coolant added every month or so. Recently the frequency has increased so I decided to bite the bullet and change the rad. Parts ordered but not yet fitted.

According to daughter - the coolant light came on on Thursday night but she couldn't get the ET cap off to top off. She drove to work on Friday morning (10 min drive) and the low-coolant light went off (presumably as fluid expanded).

Suddenly there was "bonging and she noticed the temp gauge was in the red and the engine died. She was able to pull to the side and get the car towed back to here house. There was no extended attempt at driving with the gauge in the red.

I went up today (hour away) and added a quart and a half of coolant. Tried to start engine but no sound except an electric motor sound that I think is the water pump. No attempt to turn over. (from teh recent discussions on here about the coolant system being closed, I am concerned about where that coolant went to

Connected code reader (C310) and got a 2E83 Coolant Pump Low Power. It showed that it was turning when the key was turned.

Code clears and wouldn't come back.

No leaks under car. No "mayonnaise" under oil-fill cap. No chance to drain oil as it is in an apartment parking lot.

Is the no-start condition symptomatic of a wrecked engine?

Does it self protect when coolant low?

New battery last week. 12.2V measured

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Only if the engine is seized for some reason. Can you put a wrench on a pulley bolt and see if you can turn the engine by "hand"? If not, then remove the spark plugs as you may have a cylinder filled with antifreeze from a blown head gasket. Then try to turn the engine over by hand. If it moves, you know your head gasket got destroyed. Good chance the engine is done. Even just doing a head gasket on an N52 is a big job due to the tools needed to time the engine. Probably most economical to buy a used engine.

Sorry,

AM.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts
the low-coolant light went off (presumably as fluid expanded).
Water almost does not expand as it heats less than boiling. Water coefficient of thermal expansion is 200 ppm per degree Celsius near room temperature. Water expands more as it freezes 4% or 40,000 ppm.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This one doesnt sound good. Please keep us updated. I would like the hear about what you find. These head gasket situations scare me to death. I had an overheating situation due to a bad aux fan. Not much warning. So leading up to my aux fan issue was an ET issue that you dont have but the coolant light did come on a few times at start up then turn off after normal driving temps. I figured I was right at the sensor line. Eventually on a hot day I turned the AC on and it wasnt getting cold. In heavy traffic the warning light blarred at me and the temp gauge was rising. I pulled it over right off the road into the grass and shut it down. I thanked the BMW Gods my wife or daughter wasnt driving because they wouldnt have pulled over but rather drove to the next parking lot. I may be wrong but seconds count when that temp guage is rising. Everything Ive heard about it leads to a warped head and basically having a big red 4 wheel drive paper weight thereafter.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have no experience about M52s, but when my daughter overheated the M54 in her 01 330i (expansion tank cap failed at 75mph...), it was still turning over. Compression was gone, though...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I didn***8217;t have my big wrenches or spark plug tools with me but I didn***8217;t think about it. It***8217;ll be raining tomorrow so it looks like I have something to do on Christmas Eve. Pity it***8217;s a 3 hour round trip to try anything :

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When the water pump failed, the gauge pegged to the red and went into limp mode. I presume there is some sort of electrical interlock to protect the engine. Which it did. When it cooled down, everything started and ran as normal, until the temp rose again.

In this case I was expecting to be able to start it and look for oil in coolant or coolant in oil as normal indicating a head gasket. Of course I wasn***8217;t driving so I don***8217;t really know how long it was hot but her description sounded very short. But obviously not. I would have expected that to sieze an engine you would have to run it quite a while hot.

Still, it***8217;s a great time of the year to look for replacement engines ***x1f61e;

·
Registered
362 Posts
Admirable as hell. Taking care of your daughter. Too many "dads" wouldnt bother. Very cool.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Admirable as hell. Taking care of your daughter. Too many "dads" wouldnt bother. Very cool.
:dunno: It's what dads do.

My son was in college and had an old Subaru Impreza (official car of Colorado). He was heading up the pass from skiing at Winter Park when his radiator split and spewed out all the coolant. He managed to get the car to the shoulder where he abandoned it and hitch-hiked back to school.

I picked up a radiator, some coolant, and 3 gallons of distilled water. Then the next morning, my youngest boy (still at home in HS at the time) and I headed to Winter Park. We found the Subie buried in the 8" of overnight snow, dusted it off, filled the radiator with water, started it up and proceeded back down the pass toward the ski area. Had to park along the entrance road as the place was packed that day. Changed out the radiator in about an hour or so (with many inquisitive looks and comments from other skiers passing by). Threw everything in the back, grabbed our skis and spent the rest of the day skiing.

Later that day we dropped the fixed car off to son #2 at college. He had had to work that day or would have joined us. I think he was grateful that dad and younger bro had rescued his car. It's what dads do.

AM.

·
Registered
356 Posts
:dunno: It's what dads do.
Exactly! :thumbup: Took care of my daughter***8217;s E46 (01 330i) ever since she was 16 and then her current X3 snce August 2017. Now that she is done with her masters degree and gettng married, at least she can contribute a bit more to the costs. :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
My last "that's what dads do" at least with a car was when my son got ran off the road by some old fart in Sarasota last Christmas Eve. He blew the tire. The wheel had seized to the hub and the fastest tow truck said 5-6 hours. I drove 2 hours down there with a sledge hammer and a 2x4 and took care of it. The next day I took all those tires off cleaned the hub and put a little pb works on them. I wasn't sure if that would help but when I did the brakes a month ago all the wheels came off no problem.

Sorry to be off topic. I just enjoy hearing stories that show not all fathers are clueless fools when it comes to family. We seem to be a minority in the world any,ore.

·
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt
879 Posts
Would an overheated engine not turn?

Is the no-start condition symptomatic of a wrecked engine?

Does it self protect when coolant low?

New battery last week. 12.2V measured
A seized engine might not turn.

DME can shut off the engine when temps reach catastrophic to protect engine.

Clear the water pump error - With ignition on perform the automated bleed sequence - listen for the pump. It can take about 15 mins total - hook up a battery charger if you have it. Then scan again. If the pump is still reporting an error DME will prevent you from starting the engine to protect the engine.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cleared the pump code and it didn***8217;t come back.

The pump sounds noisier than I remember but I didn***8217;t complete the whole bleed sequence. I***8217;ll try that again first.

Thanks

·
Anti-Hack
4,905 Posts
Try hand turning the engine, lightly. Then remove plugs and do the same. Don’t be scared if coolant blows out, but you don’t want to bend a rod. Then Compression test it.

After hurricane Matthews, we had the 4 Cats in our new ship fill with water in the shipayard in FL... pulled the injectors, put on rain gear, spun the air starters and let it rain!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone know the bolt size for turning the engine manually?

Want to make sure I bring the right wrench obviously

·
Anti-Hack
4,905 Posts
I *think* 27 mm. But that’s based on best recollection of a visual estimation.

You don’t want a wrench you want a socket, so bring your socket set and be prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok update and good news and bad news.

The engine turns over manually and the first two cylinders are coolant free. I did the coolant bleed procedure and no external leaks.

But now I think that what I heard last time as a ***8220;noisy coolant pump***8221; is actually the starter spinning but not engaging.

The engine isn***8217;t cranking but it sounds like the starter is spinning but the cog isn***8217;t extending to engage the flywheel. Why this would happen now, I have no idea.

No codes and the starter was changed at about 90k, I think.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I recently had a head gasket replaced and head refurbished. AMA

I'm pretty sure your head is warped, because of the heat.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think your engine is fine and you need a new starter. The N52 is a pretty tough critter, mine pegged the needle multiple times before I rescued it from its clueless former owner. And shortly thereafter ended up replacing the starter which I suspect overheated as well. Also if your car has a plastic overflow tank, that may be your source of leak. They crack easily if the radiator is even slightly overfilled.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts