BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 01 325i BMW overheated yesterday and died -I know, I should have been paying more attention :( I couldn't get it to start so I had it towed to the dealership. They called today with my worst nightmare news, the engine seized. They are telling me $14k for a certified rebuilt engine. My car is not worth that much, and I still owe $8k on it. Anyone got any advice as to what can been done or is just a pretty pile of scrap metal?

Thanks - Rdubbs

·
ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
My 01 325i BMW overheated yesterday and died -I know, I should have been paying more attention :( I couldn't get it to start so I had it towed to the dealership. They called today with my worst nightmare news, the engine seized. They are telling me $14k for a certified rebuilt engine. My car is not worth that much, and I still owe $8k on it. Anyone got any advice as to what can been done or is just a pretty pile of scrap metal?

Thanks - Rdubbs
Two things:

1. Let this serve as another grim reminder about the cost of preventative maintenance vs. Major repair when it comes to the cooling system.
2. 14k is crap. You can buy a used engine on ebay for anywhere between $1100 and $2500 and a shop can put it in for around $1500. 14k is crap and they are ripping you off! Tell them to shove it and buy an engine.

·
Aus Hamburg
53 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
$14k sound high, but $2-$4k sounds low as some on this board suggest.

Even a good qualified Indy will charge $6-$10k for the engine and labor if done correctly.

There is too much risk for an indy to only charge $2k to replace an entire engine. That is one to two weeks worth of work. And then they cannot do the engine programming anyway.:dunno:

Personally I would roll the $8k you owe into another car for $22-$30k and get a CPO that is newer and no post engine rebuilding headaches.

·
ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts

Even a good qualified Indy will charge $6-$10k for the engine and labor if done correctly.

There is too much risk for an indy to only charge $2k to replace an entire engine. That is one to two weeks worth of work. And then they cannot do the engine programming anyway.:dunno:

Personally I would roll the $8k you owe into another car for $22-$30k and get a CPO that is newer and no post engine rebuilding headaches.
No offense but that is the worst advice ever. You must not realize how simple and engine swap really is. If you can get a used engine for $2500 (on the high side) and then $2000 for labor (also too high) you are still only in for $4500. Why would you pay $6-10k? This is why people get ripped off, they don't know what they need to know to avoid it. And having 8k negative equity in another car is the worst financial advice you can give. Put a new engine in it, drive it for another 200k and be happy!

·
Ubergeek
16,864 Posts
No offense but that is the worst advice ever. You must not realize how simple and engine swap really is. If you can get a used engine for $2500 (on the high side) and then $2000 for labor (also too high) you are still only in for $4500. Why would you pay $6-10k? This is why people get ripped off, they don't know what they need to know to avoid it. And having 8k negative equity in another car is the worst financial advice you can give. Put a new engine in it, drive it for another 200k and be happy!
+1... and my independent mechanic absolutely can do the programming.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Honestly rolling the $8k over into a newer car is not really an option. I would not be able to afford the payment on it. That would easily double my payments.

I think I have only a few options:
try and replace the engine hopefully only $4-4.5k with labor,
scrap the car/sell for parts and get a cheap $2-3k car while continuing my payments,
scrap the car/sell for parts and have no car but continue payments on nothing,
just dont pay the loan anymore,
or dump it in the river and claim it was stolen :)

ok, the last two are not serious so it looks like my options are slim.

·
Registered
357 Posts
A good mechanic working on a car they are familiar with can EASILY swap an engine in one to two DAYS. You are waaaaaay off here.

Terrible advice, you would be behind on payments forever. Avoid this option at all costs.

·
ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Honestly rolling the $8k over into a newer car is not really an option. I would not be able to afford the payment on it. That would easily double my payments.

scrap the car/sell for parts and get a cheap $2-3k car while continuing my payments,

Buy an engine on the cheap (you dont need accessories, harnesses, etc) and then SEARCH for someone to install it for $1500 or less. There ARE people out there who can do it for that price or less. I'm thinking $3000 is a real do-able number for you here. Can you borrow that much extra against your car? It'd be better to roll $3k into a car you are planning to keep than just dump it. Heck, call your insurance company and see what they say. Call your loan company and tell them what happened and see if they can work with you. Lots of options, just dont give up so easy. It CAN and WILL get done if you work a little at it. Don't be overwhelmed. If you need help PM me and I can call around your area for you and talk the talk with people if you need me to. HANG IN THERE!!! :thumbup:

·
Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts

As Howard Stern`s father always said to him, "Don`t be stupid, you moron !".... people here are giving you the best possible advice....buy a used engine, have it installed by a competent mechanic, and get on with your life.... three to four thousand $ is a kick in the nuts, and a hard lesson learned, but it`s still light years ahead of all your other alternatives....

Regards,
Bob

·
Properly chastised re: Xi
1,012 Posts
+1... and my independent mechanic absolutely can do the programming.
+1. My indy did some programming for $50 and was done in 15 minutes. Indies do need to have the right equipment though.

My cousin blew his Corvette motor at the track recently. He bought a rebuilt engine and over the course of 3 days he and his son had the old motor yanked and the new one fitted (tho not fully hooked up). And that's a backyard mechanic. A professional shop wouldn't need a week to do this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so I need to replace the engine with either a used or a rebuilt engine. Does anyone know which engines would be a direct replacement for my engine as far as years and engine models? I have an '01 325i.

I know I could get a used 01 325i engine but would any others work without being having to replace a ton of wires/sensors/etc? I am trying to broaden my search and don't want to purchase an engine that will not fit correctly.

Thanks for any info.

·
Ubergeek
16,864 Posts
Ok, so I need to replace the engine with either a used or a rebuilt engine. Does anyone know which engines would be a direct replacement for my engine as far as years and engine models? I have an '01 325i.

I know I could get a used 01 325i engine but would any others work without being having to replace a ton of wires/sensors/etc? I am trying to broaden my search and don't want to purchase an engine that will not fit correctly.

Thanks for any info.
Any E46 engine with ECU should be a direct drop in. Ideally the donor car will have the same type of tranny (auto or manual).. if not, I think there is additional programming..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re : overheated - seized engine

What would cause the engine to seize up while traveling 25 MPH? It's not the CV joint (which is what everyone thought). It through out oil at the time of the incident and is now leaking tranny fluid. Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong and if it is worth repairing. Funds are extremely tight and I don't want to pay for a diagnosis of terminal illness, put her out to pasture. Everything else has been fine. It has 135,000 miles on it. I had an oil change at Walmart a couple of weeks prior with no problems noted then.
---------------------------
Sheik

Car Auctions

·
Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
The scope and complexity of your question (you obviously have multiple problems going on) is beyond diagnosing over the `net....you need a knowledgeable technician to look at that car. Maybe one of our Miami-area members could reccommend someone reliable. Good luck!

Regards,
Bob

·
just like that, he's gone
2016 BMW 535 M-Sport
1,725 Posts
he's quoting you La Jolla prices............avg house price = $1.5 Million

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.