BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Overheating help, 325i

1206 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  kz1911
I have a 325i which overheats after 20 minutes of driving or so, iv'e stopped the engine once gauge reached 3/4 of the way, there was slight amount of smoke and not sure if it could have damaged anything, the car starts and runs fine after that but according to the forums here i will have to do the following and please add or revise if it makes no sense:

1-bleed radiator
2-check status of fan clutch....by moving with hand? How much resistance should it have?
3?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Bleed the system, pleanty of DIYs out there

The fan should have some resistance and shoulnt spin freely

Can also be thermostat or waterpump

Use bmw coolent too

Sent from my VM670 using Bimmer App
this is 1 DIY of many: http://www.impee.co.uk/radiator_flush.htm
might i also advise u change the radiator cap
Thanks guys, here's the whole story of car....bought at an auction, when it was delivered by shipper the radiator and all lines were leaking due to crappy job of connections, I went ahead and changed hoses connected everything, added atf fluid and antifreeze as well, ive noticed a slight leak by the expansion tank connection, was told by mechanic that the expansion tank and radiator have a plastic piece that separates them??? I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like, any pics would help, car hasn't been driven much due to busy schedule and the overheat issue, I hope it's an easy DIY as I was estimated a lot for it, I think he said change the oil thermostat and crankcase valve...why would he tell me that? I don't trust that mechanic because he's very shady and wouldn't give me a written estimate of what needs addressing
Ask questions one at a time and in a more cogent fashion in order to get good answers.

Lose this mechanic. You're getting mixed up advice if I understand half of what you've described.

If you've got a messed up cooling system, more than just replacing hoses is necessary.
well i felt the need to change the hoses as they looked worn and one was brittle...this is pocket change really. as far as the little leak, i was told there's a plastic mount piece which lies betnween radiator and the expansion tank and the guy who works on German cars said that piece is needed and will solve the leak issue.
he also had it scanned on his computer and I believe he said the thermostat needs replacement which i ordered , he also told me that the crankcase valve should be changed, im not sure why but i didnt trust him as his estimate was astronomical ($1100 for 6-7 hrs labor is what he said)and decided to take the car home as he was trying to find numerous problems
Hope you've read all there is regarding cooling systems on post #1 here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109&page=24

Sounds like you're not completely up to speed on e46, so feel free to ask away.
CCV and it's four hoses are a normal maintenance item depending upon your mileage, but nothing to do with cooling system. Check out the check procedure for the CCV on youtube.

Yes there is a mounting bracket that attaches to the radiator for the ET, but rarely could have anything to do with a leak. More likely your ET for a leak.
Stupid question.....what's an ET and CCV? I have yet to learn all these acronyms, I don't consider myself a mechanic but am a fast learner and not afraid to use tools, with some good advice and help from fellow BMW owners I think I can get this car running cool again
CCV=crankcase valve, yes eventhough I'm not a mechanic, I felt like that mechanic was trying to make an extra buck out of me, dishonest guy and he wouldn't write estimate out for me in the end...very shady, paid him $90 for some bull crap and he only verbally told me instead of breaking it down on paper as he should
The leak unmentioned earlier is right by the left corner where the expansion tank connects to radiator, that's the location where the missing mount should go as well, maybe an o ring is broken?
ET= expansion tank. Sometimes when they get installed they don't get seated properly and leak where they attach to the bracket you mentioned. Be sure it's seated properly. If its still leaking there, maybe pull it out and check/replace the o-ring.
thanks, i will check on this soon, another question is that if i remove the radiator, how do i remove the trans cooling lines as they're the snap on type of lines, i dont have a tool for the job
ET= expansion tank. Sometimes when they get installed they don't get seated properly and leak where they attach to the bracket you mentioned. Be sure it's seated properly. If its still leaking there, maybe pull it out and check/replace the o-ring.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.