BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! New user here and another proud owner of a BMW that doesnt like to run at a normal operating temp lol :p

I've got a 1997 328i that I just bought about a month ago. The temp gauge on the car has NEVER worked. Not once have I ever gotten a reading...Car ran great till last Sunday when it appears that the overflow tank just exploded(?). The tank had a large crack in it and the plastic inside of it was all smashed into pieces. The car now has overheated twice that I know of...Both time was enough to shut the car off :///// (What I get for letting my girl drive my car) - Anyways. Since this event, I've drained all the oil and coolant from the car. All fluids appeared to look ok, oil was not milky, no oil in area of spark plugs either. No oil was inside of the old overflow tank either. So I bought a new tank and installed that, I also bought a thermostat that I did not install (didnt have time, and half assed it :/) I'm planning now to replace the thermostat tommorrow. I guess I'm wondering because I've not exhausted very many options for what the problem could be yet, whats wrong with the temp gauge? Im aware that on these there is a temp (sender) and a temp (sensor), one is in the passenger side of the radiator, the other is either under the manifold (which i dont want to have to take off unless I absolutely have too) or is sitting in the block. I've consulted several sources for an answer to this question and have not been able to get any type of legit answer. If anyone can help i'd love it! Thanks

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,148 Posts
If it ran until it shut down due to overheating (TWICE??!!!), the motor is scrap. Seriously.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
Try searching either google or this forum for 'Help Overheat' and see the results of your utter negligence.

·
Registered
430 Posts
OP, We have a engine for $1450.00 w/ two year warranty and i'll even throw in a temp gauge.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
OP, We have a engine for $1450.00 w/ two year warranty and i'll even throw in a temp gauge.
Bless you Joe, that's the best laugh I've had in a while!

OOC, how much for a reasonably low miles ZF S5d 320Z?

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,466 Posts

·
Under the lift arms
13,182 Posts
**** it.. you guys are panzie's that's a german machine right there.... keep that oil in it... and run it till it doesn't start anymore then drop a 350 in it and burn the tires till they exploded

thats what i was feeling in this thread

other then that... i wouldn't travel farther then you can walk back to the house with that unit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts