BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so my '96 328i was originally my fathers, well it's been sitting for like.. A long time and we recently started working on it so I could drive it.. Well it had a problem overheating before, and we fixed it by replacing the radiator, however, it started overheating again pretty recently.. What could the problem be?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thermostat, and/or water pump.
Did you replace the thermostat when you replaced the radiator?

Often, depending on the severity of the overheat, the head gasket can fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well there could be tban one factor but first start with :

1. Thermostat because it could be stuck or getting stuck from one time to another (causing the car to overheat sometimes and sometimes not)

2. Check the water pump ( it could produce a whining noise and also check if there any leak near by it and signs of wear on the belt itself )

3. Check if there is any water leak from the water hoses, inspect the hoses because sometimes the leak could evaporate due the heat in the engine bay thus leaving no trace)

4. Re-check the radiator if all is good and all the hose connections are tightly installed

5. Perform a water cycle and flush the system ( some trapped air could reduce the efficiency of the system)

6. Smell the vapor coming from the radiator, if you smell (sweet like smell or fuel smell), it could be the head gasket but before anything inspect it on the computer.

BMW E36 318i, 1996

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are you getting heat in the car? We just went through this and replaced the water pump, thermostat and burped it and it fixed it and our car sat for 7 years so similar situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts