BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was waiting in the Taco Bell drive thru, and my temperature gauge began flickering between hot(red) and not hot (but still well above the middle mark). In typical fast food fashion I was in line for a few more minutes. When driving home the gauge moved back to dead center, but comtinued to flicker. The car also drove fine.
Did this brief time in the red cause damage (maybe three to five minutes)? How can I fix the flickering gauge? It's well over 105 every day in Kansas in the summer, any help how to keep my engine cool would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
294 Posts
you should be ok..

if it didnt smell like buring oil, probably not any damage...

double check your coolant level

do you know the ratio of coolant to water in your system? if you arent 100% sure, dump it and replace

are your fans all working?

radiator full of dirt (cottony stuff etc. etc.) ?

if so, while you're flushing, pull it and clean everything out with the hose

i had a small overheat, worse than yours tho, my coolant was boiling...mine was due to a faulty thermostat :eek:

hope you get it figured out

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like the viscous fan coupling to me.
A common problem with E30's and also a cheap fix as the couplings are not too expensive.

A way of checking this is to turn on your car and get a newspaper. Roll it up and slowly begin to put it into the running fan, if the fan shreds the paper then your coupling is fine, if the fan stops you have found your problem.
The above sounds like an extreme test but dont fear, i have done it many a times.

A good upgrade for your car if the fan is at fault would be to install an electric fan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, I'll look at those things today. what's better on a saturday than playing with my e30? nothing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts