BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I was washing out my engine and failed to take note that my engine cover had not yet been screwed down and would thus not be protecting the plug wells from water. Some water got into my engine and started causing a misfire. This has happened several times before so I wasn't flustered and knew exactly what to do....which was to remove the ignition coil and stuff a cloth down the plug well that would absorb all the water. There'll be a trace level of water left after that but it would vaporise off when i blew into it with a hose.

There was no water in any of the other spark plug wells. It occurred to me that it would always be the same well that would fill up with water. I realised that i could mitigate this problem by getting myself a boot that was thicker and would fit tightly at the top of the well. Well one could be made simply by winding white pipe tape (or teflon tape) around the top end of the boot, crimping it together with your fingernails to form a thicker layer, and ultimately creating your own custom o ring. I did so, and put the ignition coil and its boot back, and it now fits tightly, something which could be felt when forcing the boot in (wiggle the coil when you initially remove it to see how loose it is right now). Please see :

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Fuel line
Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Car

I would recommend that this can be done for every single one of your ignition coil boots. Of course it was my stupidity for washing my engine bay after loosening out the engine cover, this problem would not have happened otherwise, but well if I had this o ring thing going, even this misfire issues would not take place. I've used this teflon tape in spark plug boots before and it does not burn or anything in that environment.

This is not an important issue, but well if you wanted to do an overkill on the matter, this would be one option. :)

p.s. Dedicated hi-temp heat resistent O rings of the appropriate size to fit over the boot and wedge itself into the spark plug well would work for this perfectly as well. If someone looks into it and determines the right O ring sizes involved, would be most obliged if the information is posted up here in this thread for everyone's edification.
p.p.s. That being said, this is in the category of an overkill and getting o rings would be a double-o.
p.p.p.s. THAT being said, if everyone's plastic cover, if busted, would mainly lead to water getting into the #6 and #5 wells (have seen water in there as well in the past), then perhaps only those 2 boots need to be attended to. In that case, this becomes highly recommended as its easy to do.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I had a similar issue but mine was due to a cracked coil cover. I've been looking for another one but they are rare.

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
Roberto, you sir, are the king of BMW innovation :bow:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.