Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is any overtemp circuitry built into the Nav system and/or the HK audio system on 330i? Last night on the way home from work I turned on my stereo (HK Audio w/Nav/trunk mounted CD changer, all stock) and got only silence. THe power light came on indicating that the audio was turned on, I turned the volume up still no sound. I switched to the tuner and turned the sound up again -- nothing. Switched back to CD and changed to a different CD, switched tracks and turned the sound up again and nothing. I turned the system off and on again, repeated the entire process and still no sound. I tried turning off the HK button, it made no difference. I started playing with the settings on the "System settings" screen and when I adjusted the "Nav volume" setting, the radio turned on very loud (scared the cr*p out of me) and from that point on has played normally. The indicated temperature on the dashboard readout was 99 degrees F and the car had been parked in the sun all day. I don't think I'd get anywhere with the dealer at this point because it's working now. Anyone have _any_ ideas?

Regards

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Normal. It's just the nav system acting up and taking over the sound input. Happens sometimes.

The latest version of the Nav system OPERATING software (not the CD you insert into the Nav drive in the trunk) is suppose to have addressed this issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much, I suppose that a trip to the dealer is in order.

Regards

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
jhowton said:
Thanks much, I suppose that a trip to the dealer is in order.

Regards
I'd do a search on this board first for nav system software, and see which version is the latest. I do remember one of the version is suppose to have resolved this problem. You may want to check what version of the software you have as well, to make yourself best prepared to deal with the service department.

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Overheated CD

I read somwheres in one of the manuals that the CD will be very unfriendly when excessive temperatures are reached. If ambient temp is 99 F I would assume interior temp could be 150 F or higher. You are so lucky to have your setting mode for the Nav unit in working order. Mine has never worked since selivery of car in March. Dealer is trying to get BMW to fix it, but no luck. My unit is Mark 111 with latest software 3 1/50. You get the software by bring up setting mode and no. is upper right hand corner of screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts