BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Overwhelmed - Random questions.

2512 20
Just joined the forums today although have been reading them ever since we decided on ED. Have a production #, VIN, pickup date & time. :) Still not showing up on the myBMW site though...a bit worried about that. (our black car may end up red)

Questions: how long does it take to get to BMW -Welt from downtown Munich using public transportation? Do you folks schlepp your bags to BMW? We got a 9 AM delivery time and they tell us we have to be there by 8 AM. What do you do from 8 - 9? I'm grouchy without my coffee.

And how long does delivery take? We'd like to tour BMW afterwards, but not sure what time to book.

Will read more when I get home from work, but the requisite obsessing has started.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
How far out is your delivery date? I believe it should show up on myBMW site a week or 2 before your production date - you can ask your CA for that.

In any case your CA has to send you a purchase order for you to sign off - that has to happen no later than 30 days before your scheduled delivery date. That process should ensure any mistakes are spotted.

I'm not sure of the precise times of the journey to BMW Welt - it will depend which line of the U-bahn you're closest to. It's not unusual to take luggage. They will have coffee / snacks available in the lounge.

I'm told there is only one English-speaking factory tour per day - it's at 11.30am. You don't have to schedule the BMW Museum.

Hope that helps!
Apparently the car is already in production...we pickup on Sept 13th at 9:00 AM. Just wish it would show up on myBMW.

I suspect it was already in production and they slapped our name on it, since we ordered it just a week ago.
On last months ED we stayed at the Maritim hotel. (1/2 block south of main train station.)
We opted to take a cab to the Welt ~ € 25 with tip, the ride was less than 15 minutes. The Welt staff checked our luggage and it reappeared at the turntable with typical German effiency.
Don't worry about food or coffee, the premium lounge is just that Premium. ;)
As to having an hour to wait, there is so much to see at the Welt you'll be wishing for more time. (see if you can find Steve McQueen's photo)
Just joined the forums today although have been reading them ever since we decided on ED. Have a production #, VIN, pickup date & time. :) Still not showing up on the myBMW site though...a bit worried about that. (our black car may end up red)

Questions: how long does it take to get to BMW -Welt from downtown Munich using public transportation? Do you folks schlepp your bags to BMW? We got a 9 AM delivery time and they tell us we have to be there by 8 AM. What do you do from 8 - 9? I'm grouchy without my coffee.

And how long does delivery take? We'd like to tour BMW afterwards, but not sure what time to book.

Will read more when I get home from work, but the requisite obsessing has started.
That's interesting... I don't have a VIN yet, and using my production number I've been able to see my car in MyBMW. It's in production and should be done next week.
Still not showing up on the myBMW site though...a bit worried about that. (our black car may end up red)
8:00 is when they'll check you in. The process takes just a few minutes. Then you'll have time at the lounge for coffee and goodies bofore the actual delivery. You'll be fine.

If you want the factory tour, watch your email, you'll receive a letter from BMW containing, maong other things, an email address where you can request the tour.
Questions: how long does it take to get to BMW -Welt from downtown Munich using public transportation?
--- We stayed at Laimer Hof very close to Nymphenburg Palace, Munich. We took a cab from there to the Welt and the cost was $31.25 for three adults.

Do you folks schlepp your bags to BMW?
--- Yes, BMW staff met us immediately in the front of the building and took our bags. So we didn't feel silly/conspicuous carrying our bags with us.

We got a 9 AM delivery time and they tell us we have to be there by 8 AM. What do you do from 8 - 9?
--- We were amazed at how fast the time went between signing for the car and taking delivery. Our show time was 9:00am and Delivery was 10:30. Meeting others, breakfast and a brief visit to the gift shop filled the time. We actually came back three weeks later to to the tours and buy souvenirs.

And how long does delivery take?
Our delivery was a little over an hour and it flew by. The technology and features were new to us, not having them in our Z4, 325i or Mini Cooper S. Alex our Delivery Agent couldn't have been nicer or more thorough

Good Luck!
We took the u-bahn with our luggage and a toddler in a stroller. We didn't want to have to deal with installing a car seat in a taxi. 30 minutes of total travel time 10-15 minutes on the train from Sendlinger Tor station.

They have an awesome coffee machine in the premium lounge and lots of other tasty goodies.
We stayed at the Leonardo Royal Hotel which is one metro stop north of die Welt on the U3. On the day of our delivery we checked out of the hotel and left our luggage in the hotels storage area. We then took the metro to die Welt and after our factory tour drove the car back to the hotel to pick up our luggage. The Leonardo Royal Hotel is very nice and has an awesome breakfast but at a cost.
I would highly recommend acquiring Rolf's services for this first trip. He will pick you up at your hotel and take you to the Welt, as well as sit down with you and discuss your plans and make suggestions.

Good luck on your first ED. I'm sitting at 111 days to my second...
Fitzmarl: we made reservations for Laimer Hof last night! It looks like a nice place. I actually found a very good website for Munich public tranportation. You put in the starting point and ending point and the time you are leaving and it will give you the route. Example:

walk 3 blocks (2 min) to Hauptstrasse
take bus # 51 to Isator Platz (10 min)
Take subway X to Olympia park (20 min)
walk to BMW welt (5 min)

Well...something like that. I can post the link if anyone thinks it would be useful.
Questions: how long does it take to get to BMW -Welt from downtown Munich using public transportation?
--- We stayed at Laimer Hof very close to Nymphenburg Palace, Munich. We took a cab from there to the Welt and the cost was $31.25 for three adults.

Do you folks schlepp your bags to BMW?
--- Yes, BMW staff met us immediately in the front of the building and took our bags. So we didn't feel silly/conspicuous carrying our bags with us.

We got a 9 AM delivery time and they tell us we have to be there by 8 AM. What do you do from 8 - 9?
--- We were amazed at how fast the time went between signing for the car and taking delivery. Our show time was 9:00am and Delivery was 10:30. Meeting others, breakfast and a brief visit to the gift shop filled the time. We actually came back three weeks later to to the tours and buy souvenirs.

And how long does delivery take?
Our delivery was a little over an hour and it flew by. The technology and features were new to us, not having them in our Z4, 325i or Mini Cooper S. Alex our Delivery Agent couldn't have been nicer or more thorough

Good Luck!
Please post the website!
Fitzmarl: we made reservations for Laimer Hof last night! It looks like a nice place. I actually found a very good website for Munich public tranportation. You put in the starting point and ending point and the time you are leaving and it will give you the route. Example:

walk 3 blocks (2 min) to Hauptstrasse
take bus # 51 to Isator Platz (10 min)
Take subway X to Olympia park (20 min)
walk to BMW welt (5 min)

Well...something like that. I can post the link if anyone thinks it would be useful.
DB.de

The German Railroad site is pretty amazing. Like how to get to the Haufbrahaus in Munich from Prague:

Praha hl.n. (Autobusová St. Wilsonova) Mo, 03.09.12 dep 16:36 Bus 1162 ExpressBus
Subject to compulsory reservation, Regional train tickets are not valid, 2nd class only, Seat reservation included in price when purchased together with ticket, Snacks and beverages available, No entrainment of animals except guide dogs, Toilette an Bord
München Hbf Arnulfstraße Mo, 03.09.12 arr 21:15
walk 7 min.
Adjust the transfer time
München Hauptbahnhof Mo, 03.09.12 dep 21:22 U 5 U-Bahn Direction: Neuperlach Süd, München
Odeonsplatz, München Mo, 03.09.12 arr 21:25
walk 10 min.
München, Hofbräuhaus München (Gastronomie)
I posted it in a new thread so it can be found more easily.
...we made reservations for Laimer Hof last night! It looks like a nice place...

You won't be disappointed. We stayed there three nights based on recommendations in this forum. Jan, Hotel Manager, speaks fluent English and French and is great helping you get around. Be prepared for sumptuous breakfasts.

All the important sites are within a short (<10 minutes) walk: Königlichen Hirschgarten (a beer garden), Wirtshaus Kurgarten (hey, another beer garden), Schloss
Nymphenburg, the Romanplatz Tram stop (best way to get to Marienplatz) and the Laim S-Bahn Rail stop. Great restaurants all around, very nice & quiet neighborhood. It was a good place to adjust, particularly after the long flight. There's a lot of great places to stay in Munich, and this is one of them
Most likely the Welt Volk will move up your delivery time if you get there early. But don't pass up the free food and beer. Once we took delivery of our car, we had the people at the Welt park it for us and we went back up to the lounge to take advanatge of the WiFi and other amenities. You can easliy spend a whole day there if you include a tour and/or museum visit.
I stayed there in January (Not an ED). Hotel Laimer Hof fairly inexpensive and you get a decent quality hotel. It's not the Mandarin Oriental but the prices are not either. The service is excellent and the owners are nearly always around. I would say the rooms are fairly small but that is the case with a lot of European hotels.

I am not exactly sure about parking there but from the looks of it they only have street level outdoor parking.
...we made reservations for Laimer Hof last night! It looks like a nice place...
how is parking at the Laimer Hof?...opps see the answer has been posted above! Havewn't figured out how to delete a post.
Some other fest'ers may have already commented:
- It takes about 20 mins. on U-bahn fron downtown Munich
- Certainly can keep the (medium sized) bags at Welt.
- The delivery paperwork takes about 15 mins to complete and actual delivery may take anything between 1 hour to 2 hours based on your questions during demos. There is luxurious premium lounge at Welt. We spent hours there having coffee, breakfast, lunch etc while watching happy and excited faces who were going down the steps for their pickups. We spent one extra day at Welt as we did Factory tour and BMW museum on day 1 and picked our car on day2 at 9:30 am.
Good Luck and Enjoy this experience slowly !!!!

If you're worried about parking in Munich, I would recommend getting vouchers from the Welt staff for the lot right next to the Welt. Not the valet service, but the lot one block down and near the Olympia Park U-Bahn stop.

It's free and underground, and there are already nice cars parked there, so yours won't be as much of a target :).
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.