BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my car with less than 50 miles on the odometer. Drove gently for the first 1200 miles. Changed oil twice a year. Never
abuse it, track it, nor use any tunes. Now near 5 years of ownership, still trouble free.

If you own your car since new, taking care of it, and still own it pass the first 4 years of warranty, how is your car reliability? Any surprises after you are out of warranty? Thanks!

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
I bought my car with less than 50 miles on the odometer. Drove gently for the first 1200 miles. Changed oil twice a year. Never
abuse it, track it, nor use any tunes. Now near 5 years of ownership, still trouble free.

If you own your car since new, taking care of it, and still own it pass the first 4 years of warranty, how is your car reliability? Any surprises after you are out of warranty? Thanks!
Mine was picked up with 8 miles on it(5 miles when car rolled off car hauler, 3 miles of test drive before handing over cashier check)

After 6 yrs and 60k+ miles, it is still lots of fun and trouble free. It is a relatively early production unit, so it went through a long list of recalls, rattles and a nagging false alarm trigger, but the foremen tracked down every issue and fixed them all.

Since end of warranty, the car has been non-eventful. There is no rattle and/or leak, the ride is competent and quiet(with Driveguard), TC is A-OK, ZF 8AT shifts brilliantly.

The only out-of-pocket so far are 7k-8k oil changes, brake fluid change, DIY wiper($12) + cabin filter($40) + air filter($5), and a 50k coolant change(the coolant was tested pH 7). With BMW value service + BMWNA rebates, and cheap BMW-logo parts, my total cost so far is $500.

And since my car already breaks even with lease after 5-6 years, it is a free car at this point! :thumbup: This car will be a keeper for a long while.

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
Thanks for sharing pdxway! You should really take your F30 to track events. The car is perfectly suited to that, for novice and experienced drivers alike. :)

I bought my MY 2014 320i new and participated in BMW of NA's European Delivery (prior to the ED program being gutted). I rarely drive the 320i gently; it's my autocross & HPDE car. No tuning or modification has been done to the car other than tire replacement mentioned below. I have a lot of work to do developing and improving my driving skills before I think about modifying the car!

Currently the 320i has 16k miles on the odometer.

Operation & maintenance regimen since new:
  1. 89 AKI fuel for non-track driving, 91 AKI fuel for track events
  2. Oil & filter change once a year
  3. Brake fluid change every 4-6 months
  4. OE runflat Bridgestone tires replaced with non runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sport
  5. One cabin air filter replacement
  6. One wiper blade set replacement
  7. Car wash and interior vacuum cleaning 1 or 2 times a month

No surprises, unscheduled repairs, or reliability issues to report. My car always passes tech inspection for HPDE and track events. From an overall quality control perspective, the interior is full of cheap materials that wear quickly, but that's to be expected of any F3x car.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was picked up with 8 miles on it(5 miles when car rolled off car hauler, 3 miles of test drive before handing over cashier check)

After 6 yrs and 60k+ miles, it is still lots of fun and trouble free. It is a relatively early production unit, so it went through a long list of recalls, rattles and a nagging false alarm trigger, but the foremen tracked down every issue and fixed them all.

Since end of warranty, the car has been non-eventful. There is no rattle and/or leak, the ride is competent and quiet(with Driveguard), TC is A-OK, ZF 8AT shifts brilliantly.

The only out-of-pocket so far are 7k-8k oil changes, brake fluid change, DIY wiper($12) + cabin filter($40) + air filter($5), and a 50k coolant change(the coolant was tested pH 7). With BMW value service + BMWNA rebates, and cheap BMW-logo parts, my total cost so far is $500.

And since my car already breaks even with lease after 5-6 years, it is a free car at this point! :thumbup: This car will be a keeper for a long while.
Cool! This is what I like to hear!

·
Registered
96 Posts
4,5 years of ownership and still very reliable. Only one small scare of a "low oil" warning light coming on. Adding a quart of oil fixed that. The local BMW service rep assured me nothing was "wrong", apparently turbos use more oil.

Only 35,000 on the clock so far. Hopefully another 120,000 (and more) trouble free miles to go

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing pdxway! You should really take your F30 to track events. The car is perfectly suited to that, for novice and experienced drivers alike. :)

I bought my MY 2014 320i new and participated in BMW of NA's European Delivery (prior to the ED program being gutted). I rarely drive the 320i gently; it's my autocross & HPDE car. No tuning or modification has been done to the car other than tire replacement mentioned below. I have a lot of work to do developing and improving my driving skills before I think about modifying the car!

Currently the 320i has 16k miles on the odometer.

Operation & maintenance regimen since new:
  1. 89 AKI fuel for non-track driving, 91 AKI fuel for track events
  2. Oil & filter change once a year
  3. Brake fluid change every 4-6 months
  4. OE runflat Bridgestone tires replaced with non runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sport
  5. One cabin air filter replacement
  6. One wiper blade set replacement
  7. Car wash and interior vacuum cleaning 1 or 2 times a month

No surprises, unscheduled repairs, or reliability issues to report. My car always passes tech inspection for HPDE and track events. From an overall quality control perspective, the interior is full of cheap materials that wear quickly, but that's to be expected of any F3x car.
Cool! Great to hear after track events, still works great!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4,5 years of ownership and still very reliable. Only one small scare of a "low oil" warning light coming on. Adding a quart of oil fixed that. The local BMW service rep assured me nothing was "wrong", apparently turbos use more oil.

Only 35,000 on the clock so far. Hopefully another 120,000 (and more) trouble free miles to go
:thumbup:. Nice! I am at 40K miles and love to go at least 5 more years!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

BTW, I noticed you only spent $500 so far. That is nice! I believe I spent about $1300 so far this year on my car.

What I spent on:
New non run flat tires
New brake pads + related stuffs like cleaner, lubes, etc.
New low beam LED bulbs
Bimmercode and Bluetooth hardware
New Wiper blades
New K&N air filter

I am not counting all the tools I need to buy to do my brake work. That will be used for many years on both of my vehicles and future vehicles....I am also not counting the life time oil change package I bought 5 years ago...

I think next year what is due is brake fluid flush and that is all. That is when I will get almost free car hopefully...

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
BTW, I noticed you only spent $500 so far. That is nice! I believe I spent about $1300 so far this year on my car.

What I spent on:
New non run flat tires
New brake pads + related stuffs like cleaner, lubes, etc.
New low beam LED bulbs
Bimmercode and Bluetooth hardware
New Wiper blades
New K&N air filter

I am not counting all the tools I need to buy to do my brake work. That will be used for many years on both of my vehicles and future vehicles....I am also not counting the life time oil change package I bought 5 years ago...

I think next year what is due is brake fluid flush and that is all. That is when I will get almost free car hopefully...
Ah there was also $750 for a set of Driveguard RFT, so including that it is close to $1300 too.

Dealer cost so far:

$305 brake fluid + coolant(got $50 BMWNA rebate, net $255)
$95 0w30 oil change(got $20 BMWNA rebate, net $75)
$95 0w30 oil change(got $45 BMWNA rebate, net 50)
$85 0w30 oil change
$55 for DIY wiper, cabin filter, engine air filter

Those are all out of pocket so far.

There should be spark plugs(4 total) due soon, probably [email protected], or DIY for $50-$70 BMW-logo plugs.

And brake jobs will be [email protected] per axle. Dealers did have sales on parts this summer, my BMW logo rear brake pads only costed $25. :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah there was also $750 for a set of Driveguard RFT, so including that it is close to $1300 too.

Dealer cost so far:

$305 brake fluid + coolant(got $50 BMWNA rebate, net $255)
$95 0w30 oil change(got $20 BMWNA rebate, net $75)
$95 0w30 oil change(got $45 BMWNA rebate, net 50)
$85 0w30 oil change
$55 for DIY wiper, cabin filter, engine air filter

Those are all out of pocket so far.

There should be spark plugs(4 total) due soon, probably [email protected], or DIY for $50-$70 BMW-logo plugs.

And brake jobs will be [email protected] per axle. Dealers did have sales on parts this summer, my BMW logo rear brake pads only costed $25. :)
I see we are pretty close in cost. : )

With new tires, new brake pads, new low beams, new air filter, and new driving mode (Sport Automatic transmission), my car feels like new car again!

I hope all of us will have trouble free ownership for years to come.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
77k miles on our 2014 328i ......

darn tires wore out at 40k

diy spark plugs (easy on the F30) and cabin filter (pita)

tail light bulb ....... that’s it :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
85k on my car. It has been super reliable. Nothing required other than a hood latch release cable replacement under warranty. Here are my routine maintenance expenses thus far after the free maintenance expired in July 2016:

Miles Type of service Total
37000 Continental Control Contact Sport A/S tires $712
54000 Brake fluid flush $106.68
55000 Oil change $78.61
57000 Spark plug replacement $231.12
62000 Oil change and tires rotated $103.2
69500 Oil change $99.95
71000 Cabin+engine air filter change;tires rotated $105.73
71500 Brake pads replaced on all four wheels $534.84
72000 Wiper blades replaced $36.61
74000 Continental DWS 06 tires $756
76900 Oil change $106
77050 Alignment $112

Total $2270.74

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
85k on my car. It has been super reliable. Nothing required other than a hood latch release cable replacement under warranty. Here are my routine maintenance expenses thus far after the free maintenance expired in July 2016:

Miles Type of service Total
37000 Continental Control Contact Sport A/S tires $712
54000 Brake fluid flush $106.68
55000 Oil change $78.61
57000 Spark plug replacement $231.12
62000 Oil change and tires rotated $103.2
69500 Oil change $99.95
71000 Cabin+engine air filter change;tires rotated $105.73
71500 Brake pads replaced on all four wheels $534.84
72000 Wiper blades replaced $36.61
74000 Continental DWS 06 tires $756
76900 Oil change $106
77050 Alignment $112

Total $2270.74
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Great to know!
Within the next 20k miles I expect that the first set of brakes and tires will be needed. And I expect that the consequences of time and milage will begin to be seen and paid for. As with any other car.

I plan on continuing to keep up with maintenance and repairs as needed. While I could do much of the maintenance and some if the repairs I prefer to have a good mechanic do the work. I have found experienced set of eyes can spot emerging problems before they become obvious.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Within the next 20k miles I expect that the first set of brakes and tires will be needed. And I expect that the consequences of time and milage will begin to be seen and paid for. As with any other car.

I plan on continuing to keep up with maintenance and repairs as needed. While I could do much of the maintenance and some if the repairs I prefer to have a good mechanic do the work. I have found experienced set of eyes can spot emerging problems before they become obvious.
True. When my next scope is due, I plan to let reputable Indy to do the checks.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
71500 Brake pads replaced on all four wheels.
So rotors were above min. [email protected] miles?

$2200 is pretty good esp. with 2 sets of tires, so net cost is around $500 without tires.

The old school I6 usually will act up after 70k and pile one maintenance/repair costs.

But my gut feel says these I4 turbo will be quite uneventful past 100k miles. :)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts