BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I have a 92 325i that runs really sluggish. The engine sounds like it's doing very well mechanically, but it holds back and has small explosions in the exhaust. If I only press the gas pedal slowly, it will be fine, but once I floor it it sounds very sick.. I bought the scan tool from Bavarian and it says oxygen sensor (code 46). I replaced the oxygen sensor yesterday (took me forever because it was stuck - any tricks on how to replace this easier are apreciated) and it didnt help at all. However, it makes sense that it is the oxygen sensors, because sometimes it will be fine for the first 10 seconds or so after I start it and according to the Bentley book, the oxygen sensors aren't active until the engine is warm. I also checked the oxygen sensor heater relay, and it's fine. Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
205 Posts
to my knowledge there are actuallt 2 oxygen sensors, a front and one further down, just had mine done...but i have a 99 323i...but i dont think it matters :dunno:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thebigbr said:
to my knowledge there are actuallt 2 oxygen sensors, a front and one further down, just had mine done...but i have a 99 323i...but i dont think it matters :dunno:
I really think there is only one on my 1992. At least that's what they told me at Bavarian when I bought it. Does anybody else out there know?

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
One O2 Sensor

You have only one and the heater will have almost zero effect on the O2 sensor operation. It is there to heat faster so that the trimming function can operate (we are talking closed loop) faster. I would pull codes again and see what you are getting. Clear the old ones after writing them down. Bavauto is first rate by the way so their advice is usually pretty good....
More information as to what the car is doing will help....

·
Registered
513 Posts
When the oxygen sensor is bad the check engine light should be on, if yours is not than it may be something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.