Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been having a recurring problem with the codes P0015 & P0302. Here is what I've done to address the issues:

P0302 (Cylinder 2 Misfire):
- Replaced Ignition Coils (was due anyway with 115k on my X3)
- Spark plugs only have about 5k on them
- I have swapped the ignition coils to see if it's a coil issue but I have not swapped spark plugs yet.
- Spark plugs obviously look used but in clean condition

This code only pops up when I hard accelerate. It chugs and refuses to speed up like I want, throws the code and rough idles until I turn off the engine. When I restart the car the rough idles goes away and sometime the code does as well.

P0015 (Bank 1 Camshaft Over-Retarded)
- Changed the oil
- Replaced both VVT Solenoids (Holding on to the originals in case I need to return the new ones)

I haven't been too concerned with the P0015 as it pops up every now and then. My theory is that it gets too freaking cold (Negative temps in Idaho), but if it's not the cause of my acceleration problems then I'm not too worried about it for the time being.

The reason I'm posting this is that I'm hoping someone will tell me what I want to hear and say that I don't have a problem with my timing chain/don't have to open up my engine to solve the problem.

Could the Spark plug(s) be bad already? Would a timing chain issue cause only Cylinder #2 to misfire? Are the VVT solenoids the underlying issue to all of this?
These are questions I am trying to address before I give in and call the dealership to fix it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Might want to get a creator c310 on Amazon for $59....will give you more specific bmw codes.

Have you checked your fuel injectors?

Just remember....suck....blow....bang.....you need all three for an engine to go

Sounds like suck and bang work...time to check blow....

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Recently I've been having a recurring problem with the codes P0015 & P0302. Here is what I've done to address the issues:

P0302 (Cylinder 2 Misfire):
- Replaced Ignition Coils (was due anyway with 115k on my X3)
- Spark plugs only have about 5k on them
- I have swapped the ignition coils to see if it's a coil issue but I have not swapped spark plugs yet.
- Spark plugs obviously look used but in clean condition

This code only pops up when I hard accelerate. It chugs and refuses to speed up like I want, throws the code and rough idles until I turn off the engine. When I restart the car the rough idles goes away and sometime the code does as well.

P0015 (Bank 1 Camshaft Over-Retarded)
- Changed the oil
- Replaced both VVT Solenoids (Holding on to the originals in case I need to return the new ones)

I haven't been too concerned with the P0015 as it pops up every now and then. My theory is that it gets too freaking cold (Negative temps in Idaho), but if it's not the cause of my acceleration problems then I'm not too worried about it for the time being.

The reason I'm posting this is that I'm hoping someone will tell me what I want to hear and say that I don't have a problem with my timing chain/don't have to open up my engine to solve the problem.

Could the Spark plug(s) be bad already? Would a timing chain issue cause only Cylinder #2 to misfire? Are the VVT solenoids the underlying issue to all of this?
These are questions I am trying to address before I give in and call the dealership to fix it. Thanks in advance.
@X3life.......saw your post and had to reply to the P0015 code issue. To start with, we use to have (3) '07 X3's & I did all the maintenance on them. My son's X3, with approx 156k on it, started throwing the P0015 (B Camshaft position over Retarded) & P0012 A camshaft Position- over retarded) codes. I had changed the oil about a week before codes started to appear. I cleaned both solenoids & checked them electrically. Codes continued. I replaced both with new ones; codes continued. I was really puzzled. Then I ran across a post on one of the forums about the O-ring at the bottom of the oil filter inner 'cage' that could be an issue. See the PDF below
Anyway, long story short, I pulled the oil filter Cap & found the inner 'cage' missing. WHAT!
I don't know what happened; maybe the cage came out with the filter & I didn't notice it; whatever.....Without the Cage OR the O-Ring at the bottom, the oil pressure can drop due to no restriction/regulating without it. I immediately replaced the Cap asmy & the codes went away. Sooooo, my bad; lesson learned for me. CHECK YOUR OIL FILTER CAP for the cage & make sure it has the correct O-ring at the bottom.
Hope my stupid mistake might help you; I won't let that happen again!

Attachments

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Might want to get a creator c310 on Amazon for $59....will give you more specific bmw codes.

Have you checked your fuel injectors?

Just remember....suck....blow....bang.....you need all three for an engine to go

Sounds like suck and bang work...time to check blow....

Don’t forget the “squeeze!”

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
@X3life.......saw your post and had to reply to the P0015 code issue. To start with, we use to have (3) '07 X3's & I did all the maintenance on them. My son's X3, with approx 156k on it, started throwing the P0015 (B Camshaft position over Retarded) & P0012 A camshaft Position- over retarded) codes. I had changed the oil about a week before codes started to appear. I cleaned both solenoids & checked them electrically. Codes continued. I replaced both with new ones; codes continued. I was really puzzled. Then I ran across a post on one of the forums about the O-ring at the bottom of the oil filter inner 'cage' that could be an issue. Can't find the post now.

Anyway, long story short, I pulled the oil filter Cap & found the inner 'cage' missing. WHAT!

I don't know what happened; maybe the cage came out with the filter & I didn't notice it; whatever.....Without the Cage OR the O-Ring at the bottom, the oil pressure can drop due to no restriction/regulating without it. I immediately replaced the Cap asmy & the codes went away. Sooooo, my bad; lesson learned for me. CHECK YOUR OIL FILTER CAP for the cage & make sure it has the correct O-ring at the bottom.

Clogged check screens would also drop oil pressure to the VANOS, along with using oil that is too thick viscosity.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Clogged check screens would also drop oil pressure to the VANOS, along with using oil that is too thick viscosity.

@ dukedkt.....yes, I suppose it would if you had really dirty oil & didn't change regularly with a good grade oil. The lack oil filter inside cage was our issue. BMW even issues a SI on it.

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Not saying the cage wouldn’t, as it keeps the oil filter from collapsing under pressure and blocking oil flow. Even 10w-30 is thick enough to have difficulty flowing at proper pressure through the screens and solenoids.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
P0015 & P0302 Advice

Don’t forget the “squeeze!”

Ah yes squeeze!!!!!

Got to squeeze that nipple on the fuel rail to release pressure before you pull real hard straight up after you slip those bolts off.

Still think he’s got a bad fuel injector on cylinder 2 or a bad o ring....although CEL usually shows up when it’s really bad. Rough idle definitely can be a result.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
P0015 & P0302 Advice

@X3life.......saw your post and had to reply to the P0015 code issue. To start with, we use to have (3) '07 X3's & I did all the maintenance on them. My son's X3, with approx 156k on it, started throwing the P0015 (B Camshaft position over Retarded) & P0012 A camshaft Position- over retarded) codes. I had changed the oil about a week before codes started to appear. I cleaned both solenoids & checked them electrically. Codes continued. I replaced both with new ones; codes continued. I was really puzzled. Then I ran across a post on one of the forums about the O-ring at the bottom of the oil filter inner 'cage' that could be an issue. See the PDF below

It can happen but not common.....unless Lloyd Christmas or Harry Dunne last changed your oil....

One more reason I’ve done it myself for 243k miles....but its a place to check if you didn’t do the last oil change yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts