BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a new issue with the my x5 35d 2009, I have the check engine light come on with the code p0087. Sometimes it puts me into limp mode without really being in it because I can still rev up to 4000rpm, and some other times, it gives a "bang" and the car shuts down drastically. I have to remove the key restart the car back again (never had an issue to restart it). Trust me I know the real limp mode with the egr valve issue, never revs higher than 2000rpm ! So yeah, I've ordered a fuel filter and we'll see if it helps but deep down I know that the problem is bigger than that. I know the injector #5 is a big issue with our models, did anybody had the same code then me and it was the injector the problem ? Because I only get one error code, usually with injector problem there are 2-3, is that correct ? Or is it a simple sensor (typically Bmw) OR is it the pump.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,116 Posts
Hey guys, I have the check engine light come on with the code p0087. Sometimes it puts me into limp mode without really being in it because I can still rev up to 4000rpm, and some other times, it gives a "bang" and the car shuts down drastically. I have to remove the key restart the car back again (never had an issue to restart it). Trust me I know the real limp mode with the egr valve issue, never revs higher than 2000rpm ! So yeah, I've ordered a fuel filter and we'll see if it helps but deep down I know that the problem is bigger than that. I know the injector #5 is a big issue with our models, did anybody had the same code then me and it was the injector the problem ? Because I only get one error code, usually with injector problem there are 2-3, is that correct ? Or is it a simple sensor (typically Bmw) OR is it the pump.
what kind of car is it???????????????

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is it a 3.0, 4.8, 35D, 35i, 50i or an X5M?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's in the Bmw e70 2007-2013 forum, sorry new here I thought it was marked somewhere. It's a x5 35d 2009

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,390 Posts
.... Jesus guys he CLEARLY wrote X5 35d in the first sentence....

This forum is really starting to annoy me. There's not much in the way of good information being out out.
Thank you for your contribution.

·
Registered
238 Posts
.... Jesus guys he CLEARLY wrote X5 35d in the first sentence....

This forum is really starting to annoy me. There's not much in the way of good information being out out.
Jesus guy he clearly edited after me and Ard posted asking which model it was... wouldn't have asked if he had written it already lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's in the Bmw e70 2007-2013 forum, sorry new here I thought it was marked somewhere. It's a x5 35d 2009
No problem at all, welcome to the forum. First and foremost, how often do you change your oil? If you frequently get it changed we can rule dirty oil out of the possible reasons. Haven't really heard of engines not being able to restart, that's new. Try and search around on the forum to see if anyone has any similar issues, you can cross-reference with the 3 series, 5 series and 6 series as they share Diesel engine platforms (M57 engine). Hopefully someone with more experience on diesels can chime in.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,116 Posts
Hey guys, I have a new issue with the my x5 35d 2009, I have the check engine light come on with the code p0087. Sometimes it puts me into limp mode without really being in it because I can still rev up to 4000rpm, and some other times, it gives a "bang" and the car shuts down drastically. I have to remove the key restart the car back again (never had an issue to restart it). Trust me I know the real limp mode with the egr valve issue, never revs higher than 2000rpm ! So yeah, I've ordered a fuel filter and we'll see if it helps but deep down I know that the problem is bigger than that. I know the injector #5 is a big issue with our models, did anybody had the same code then me and it was the injector the problem ? Because I only get one error code, usually with injector problem there are 2-3, is that correct ? Or is it a simple sensor (typically Bmw) OR is it the pump.
First, thanks for updating the post with the motor and model. Arguably the E70 can have a range of motors... :thumbup:

Diesel.. Hmm. You really need a BMW specific code reader, the standard OBD DTCs may not read all the BMW codes, plus BMW compatible software will let you dig around into other diagnostics.

It seems you are trying to guesstimate a solution from a careful classification of all the symptoms- the proverbial 'rifle shot diagnosis'. I am guessing so you can buy one part and jsut replace that, be done with it. By collecting all the symptoms (not a true limp mode; sometimes a bang; injectors usually 2 or 3;etc etc) you hope to shortcut the typical diagnosis process of computers, testing, etc.

Some info: www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1130020&d=1418577163

Im going to say pressure regulator, pump or fuel rail pressure sensor... but just from reading up on it, no personal experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts