BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have an engine sign on the dashboard. The system check shows all ok. All consumables, brakes, oil etc checks out ok.
Had a code reader plugged in and it came up with P0128 and P0128 (pd) codes - Coolant temperature and Thermostat problem.

I checked the coolant level and it was below minimum level - so I added some to bring the level between max and min levels. Drove the car this morning the sign did not go away.

The heater does not seem to work when I tried to raise the inside temp to about 80 degrees. The fan kept blowing but no hot air.

Seems like I need to replace the Thermostat? If so can some one send me the DIY video link or step by step instructions?
The Thermostat cost around $114.00 original, and about $58.00 generic. However the original has a slanted connector end vs the generic has a straight connector end. Please advise if the generic will work or not.

Thanks for all the feedback and advise.
Ashok

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don't get the generic. I bought a Whaler t-stat off E-Bay 64.00 and it was an O.E unit with the BMW emblem shaved off. Needles to say it was a direct fit and a fairly easy job bottom bolt was the most difficult but with a 1/4 inch extension and swivel got the job done. I also changed the coolant at that time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.