Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the X3 looked at. They could not find a vacuum leak. The said possibly the oil separator..... I have cleaned the MAF, is it possible it could be defective and causing the X3 to throw the code? It is a 2005 BMW X3 US Spec. The person I bought it from had work done where hoses were replaced. He said he would reset the code because the mechanic said it wasn***8217;t an issue anymore. I am trying to get it right so I can prepare to sell it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
I have had the X3 looked at. They could not find a vacuum leak. The said possibly the oil separator..... I have cleaned the MAF, is it possible it could be defective and causing the X3 to throw the code? It is a 2005 BMW X3 US Spec. The person I bought it from had work done where hoses were replaced. He said he would reset the code because the mechanic said it wasn***8217;t an issue anymore. I am trying to get it right so I can prepare to sell it. Any assistance would be appreciated.
you need to employ the smoke test,
Click and view....

https://youtu.be/ivXeOoMAVt0

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
876 Posts
Read my post I tried cleaning and CHECK ENGINE light would come back I replaced it with a new maf and it took care of it I was getting the two same codes , rough idle , and occasional puff off white smoke at start up

Sent from my SM-T713 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It***8217;s not the MAF, ITS A VACUUM LEAK. confirm maybe monitoring short term fuel trim values at idle ( high) then at 2500 rpm ( low /normal)
This test takes approximately 47/seconds

A garage that didn***8217;t do this on visit one is a wallet vacuum cleaner and shouldn***8217;t be patronized.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It's not the MAF, ITS A VACUUM LEAK. confirm maybe monitoring short term fuel trim values at idle ( high) then at 2500 rpm ( low /normal)
This test takes approximately 47/seconds

A garage that didn't do this on visit one is a wallet vacuum cleaner and shouldn't be patronized.
I've had my 05 since 2009 45k miles now have 190k I've gotten the p0171 p0174 codes 4 times first time dealer replaced maf under warranty second and third times code cleared by using maf cleaner. 4th time I had to replace myself (cleaned didn't work)

You can try a cheap eBay maf see if that takes care of cel or symptoms change before spending the dough for a new Siemens

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have had the X3 looked at. They could not find a vacuum leak. The said possibly the oil separator..... I have cleaned the MAF, is it possible it could be defective and causing the X3 to throw the code? It is a 2005 BMW X3 US Spec. The person I bought it from had work done where hoses were replaced. He said he would reset the code because the mechanic said it wasn't an issue anymore. I am trying to get it right so I can prepare to sell it. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Has the CCV valve been replaced?

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
P0171 & p0174 code

Was thinking on things, including this, on my 20 hr drive yesterday. A bad oil fill cap gasket will throw these codes, along with VANOS solenoid codes, as well as take a while to find with a smoke test. Try changing it out; in worst case you’ll lose $3.00 and that oil seepage on top of the engine cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was thinking on things, including this, on my 20 hr drive yesterday. A bad oil fill cap gasket will throw these codes, along with VANOS solenoid codes, as well as take a while to find with a smoke test. Try changing it out; in worst case you***8217;ll lose $3.00 and that oil seepage on top of the engine cover.

Anything helps. I ordered a new MAF. Will see if that does the trick. Last time I cleaned it, the light stayed off for a longer period. But I will check the oil cap as well. Thanks for adding this to your 20hrs of thinking haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So 60 miles into the new MAF there hasn***8217;t been a SES light. Idle seems better. I got a MAF for about $25 off Amazon. In Germany they want almost $150+. Hoping to ride a few more miles to see if that was the issue. But as of right now looks like a faulty MAF.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eh, spoke too soon. Drove 80 miles and came on this time. Previous time was 48 miles. I don***8217;t know.

·
Registered
876 Posts
P0171 & p0174 code

I did same - $25 MAF off eBay. Mine worked and kept the light off but I noticed idle was off and shifted harsh at times. I eventually bought a Siemens and all is good. Have you read the codes to see if you get the same CEL as last time?

One last comment- I had forgotten to clip the springs over the air filter box. The code came back and when I popped the hood the MAF had started working its way out of the air filter box. All was good after I installed the clips

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did same - $25 MAF off eBay. Mine worked and kept the light off but I noticed idle was off and shifted harsh at times. I eventually bought a Siemens and all is good. Have you read the codes to see if you get the same CEL as last time?

One last comment- I had forgotten to clip the springs over the air filter box. The code came back and when I popped the hood the MAF had started working its way out of the air filter box. All was good after I installed the clips

Same codes. I checked the clamps. One is broken looks like. I am wondering if that is allowing air in. The mechanic I took it to previously said that they didn***8217;t see any leaks and the o2 sensors were reading right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts