BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help my car sounds ghetto !!

so today i got a cel went to autozone and pulled up (p0340) camshaft position sensor bank A.

it was driving fine with a quite smooth engine when i got there ..they cleared it i drove home fine again ..second start up to get dinner im now hearing tick tick tick tick tick from the engine :eek:...the performance is fine no rough idle or stalling just tick tick tick tick over my smooth driving engine.

what gives,is this related ??? is this a misfire or off timed engine or something from the bad cps ??

im just gonna order the part and hope this solves the problem when replaced
any help or tips would truly help me in catching this problem before it gets worst

Thanks !

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Usually a rithmic tick is lifter related. Not much you can do about it unless you replace them. I had a ticking noise and switch to royal purple oil a while back and I kid you not it almost completely went away.

But I would go ahead and replace the CPS first before doing anything else to see if the problem is related.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before i never had a ticking noise untill the cps cel light came on today so im almost 99% that its related ..has to be if not that noise its gonna drive me up the wall !!!

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
This is my problem too, I got the cel for camshaft position sensor, engine lost a lot of power, and I could hear what sounds like lifter tick. I haven't replaced the camshaft position sensor yet, but I can't find anything out there that explains how these things could be related. Have you figured out yours yet?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had recently got a ticking sound, wich tirned out to be a loose spark plug. Try tightening up your spark plugs 1st.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
I know what a loose spark plug sounds like, it's rather a funny goofy sound, at least a totally loose spark plug is. But it wouldn't explain how this problem seems to come and go, and definitely doesn't explain the cel and loss in power.

·
bbs'
13 Posts
https://www.quirkyuncle.com/2013/04/12/diy-quieting-the-infamous-bmw-lifter-tick/

-> ur internal oil pressure is off. The Ticking occurs generally due to dirty bmw hydraulic lifters due to this small round shaped merely piece that is suppose to glob up the oil (like a catch)..well poor design because grime/dirt gets trapped on both undersides is this little ball. When it finally alters oil pressure...ticking! Bmw will bleed ur lifters (sometimes up to x5) usually for free ...then take off/out the lifters to clean if that doesn't work. Finally replacing the cylinder head as a final repair. NOTE: cyl head replace. will always fix the ticking issue. If it is not dirty lifters, it is a bigger issue prob involves air/fuel ratio data alterations causing subsequent cylinder dysfunction. BMW claims this is a non issue just annoying sound. False...your car is telling you something is wrong. While it won't kill ur engine over time, it will cause you issues and eventual turbo boost pressure loss in turbo BMW's

Holler

Bryan
E92 335xi
E60 525i
E39 525iT

please help my car sounds ghetto !!

so today i got a cel went to autozone and pulled up (p0340) camshaft position sensor bank A.

it was driving fine with a quite smooth engine when i got there ..they cleared it i drove home fine again ..second start up to get dinner im now hearing tick tick tick tick tick from the engine
...the performance is fine no rough idle or stalling just tick tick tick tick over my smooth driving engine.

what gives,is this related ??? is this a misfire or off timed engine or something from the bad cps ??

im just gonna order the part and hope this solves the problem when replaced
any help or tips would truly help me in catching this problem before it gets worst

Thanks !

·
bbs'
13 Posts
Multiple things can cause ticking but if you have camshaft sensor issues...replace it ASAP. Also prob replace your crank sensor. This will likely solve ur ticking issue in this instance. Most often is due to dirty lifters causing eventual loss of oil pressure.

Holler

Bryan
E92 335xi
E60 525i
E39 540iT

This is my problem too, I got the cel for camshaft position sensor, engine lost a lot of power, and I could hear what sounds like lifter tick. I haven't replaced the camshaft position sensor yet, but I can't find anything out there that explains how these things could be related. Have you figured out yours yet?

·
Under the lift arms
13,111 Posts
cam sensor codes:
timing advance or retard:

and sound of ticking..

first thing that comes to mind is detonation or off timing, if you cleared a code for a cam sensor fault and after it sounded like its ticking.. more then likely your having a timing event

when the m62tu has a bad cam sensor, it can sound like its knocking.. (like no oil knock) and then the sound can transfer to what sounds like a failing Duel mass flywheel... almost coming from the transmission the sound does...

Look @ your cam degree advance and report back.. Im whilling to bet that this is related

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
cam sensor codes:
timing advance or retard:

and sound of ticking..

first thing that comes to mind is detonation or off timing, if you cleared a code for a cam sensor fault and after it sounded like its ticking.. more then likely your having a timing event

when the m62tu has a bad cam sensor, it can sound like its knocking.. (like no oil knock) and then the sound can transfer to what sounds like a failing Duel mass flywheel... almost coming from the transmission the sound does...

Look @ your cam degree advance and report back.. Im whilling to bet that this is related
Replacing the CPS fixed my problem, thanks.

·
bbs'
13 Posts
Your camshaft sensor

Hey, got your msg. Your camshaft sensor is related. Do you know for sure your camshaft/crankshaft sensor is bad or is failing? If so, this changes the measurements done by the ECU... it sends faulty information to many engine working parts, especially related to your fuel system and ignition timing. If your ignition timing is off, you will experience many issues. You cannot let this go because where there is lifter noise, eventually your car may mix oil into the fuel, which will be bad for your emissions and cause CEL lights. So, back to the camshaft sensor... Since our BMWs use hydraulic oil pressure, the oil has to be pushed though these very very small holes right around our lifters. If you have a bad camshaft sensor and since bmws are air-cooled, the outside air temperature will now dictate how your car starts up and runs. You hear the lifters ticking correct? They are either receiving too much oil (which clogs those little holes thus ticking) or too little oil pressure (which also causes the ticking on both the top side of the engine and on the bottom). You do not want bottom engine ticking noise..this is not good. So, to avoid the bottom engine tick and to fix the top engine ticking... you should replace your camshaft sensor and drive the vehicle around for roughly 200 miles until it reaches its full cycle. If the camshaft sensor failed but nothing else is showing fault codes, then the noise should progressively die out over your first drive-cycle (roughly 200 miles). Also, make sure you use better fuel (91 or 93) during this time period. You need the detergents..as failing camshaft sensor can mess with the your valves (causing deposits). You have to work to get the car to adapt correctly in order for the engine ticking to stop. You have roughly 200-miles to do this. Finally, at the time you are replacing camshaft, ensure your entire "emissions" system is good to go. Otherwise, the camshaft replacement will not fix the ticking. Make sure your emissions are not too lean nor too rich. The camshaft replacement helps with many issues in our BMWs because the ratio of camshaft rotations implicates so much for how our vehicles run through the ECU.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions...it took me 6-months to get rid of my ticking issue in my 08' E92 335xi. You can do it though... and my car is running like new!

Bryan
E39 525i
E60 525i
E92 335xi

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Hey, got your msg. Your camshaft sensor is related. Do you know for sure your camshaft/crankshaft sensor is bad or is failing? If so, this changes the measurements done by the ECU... it sends faulty information to many engine working parts, especially related to your fuel system and ignition timing. If your ignition timing is off, you will experience many issues. You cannot let this go because where there is lifter noise, eventually your car may mix oil into the fuel, which will be bad for your emissions and cause CEL lights. So, back to the camshaft sensor... Since our BMWs use hydraulic oil pressure, the oil has to be pushed though these very very small holes right around our lifters. If you have a bad camshaft sensor and since bmws are air-cooled, the outside air temperature will now dictate how your car starts up and runs. You hear the lifters ticking correct? They are either receiving too much oil (which clogs those little holes thus ticking) or too little oil pressure (which also causes the ticking on both the top side of the engine and on the bottom). You do not want bottom engine ticking noise..this is not good. So, to avoid the bottom engine tick and to fix the top engine ticking... you should replace your camshaft sensor and drive the vehicle around for roughly 200 miles until it reaches its full cycle. If the camshaft sensor failed but nothing else is showing fault codes, then the noise should progressively die out over your first drive-cycle (roughly 200 miles). Also, make sure you use better fuel (91 or 93) during this time period. You need the detergents..as failing camshaft sensor can mess with the your valves (causing deposits). You have to work to get the car to adapt correctly in order for the engine ticking to stop. You have roughly 200-miles to do this. Finally, at the time you are replacing camshaft, ensure your entire "emissions" system is good to go. Otherwise, the camshaft replacement will not fix the ticking. Make sure your emissions are not too lean nor too rich. The camshaft replacement helps with many issues in our BMWs because the ratio of camshaft rotations implicates so much for how our vehicles run through the ECU.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions...it took me 6-months to get rid of my ticking issue in my 08' E92 335xi. You can do it though... and my car is running like new!

Bryan
E39 525i
E60 525i
E92 335xi
Ah yes, thanks for the reply, and the explanation. Not sure I know what you mean about BMW's being "aircooled" but as I mentioned previously replacing the CPS fixed my problem immediately, and hasn't been a problem since. Also as I understand it, all fuels have detergents.

·
bbs'
13 Posts

Ah yes, thanks for the reply, and the explanation. Not sure I know what you mean about BMW's being "aircooled" but as I mentioned previously replacing the CPS fixed my problem immediately, and hasn't been a problem since. Also as I understand it, all fuels have detergents.
Np. Sorry ... meant to say BMW uses air-cooled features upon start-up. BMW uses the difference between the ambient air temp. sensor and the coolant temp. to determine whether to cold- or hot-start your car upon start-up. This process implies function of the 2ndary air intake ... VANOS sys... etc. In turn, your ambient air temp. sensor (working properly) and the outside climate have a direct effect on how your car starts up, which obv impacts prospective ticking issues.. which is why I mentioned it. Outside air effecting the engine is only reserved for the old air-cooled engine such as the old 6-cyl Porsches.. so the confusion.

All fuels legally do carry detergents.. however... 87 grade gas from a Non-top-tier gas station will logically have less frequency of detergents and less R&D about detergents than 93 Shell-V gas. Poor gas quality causes ticking as well. I'm not presenting anything new here.. many debates about BP-91 vs. Shell 93-V etc..

Take it easy.. nice car.

Bryan
e39 525i
e60 525i
e92 335xi

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Sure but I also think the myth of premium being better than regular has been debunked a number of times, only difference is octane.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts