BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wrenchin' guy
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smokin:

So, I have the MIL on, the dreaded "Catalyst Efficency Below Threshold" trouble code

P0430 - Bank 2

ARGGGGGGG:mad::mad:

Nw, I read posts everywhere, adapters, minicats etc......

I read right there in the Bently, that even if you CLEAR the Trouble code using an OBDII analyzer tool....you STILL have to do a number of Drive cycles to effectively clear the computer permanently....

Are you ready for this..... 80 drive cycles. What and who in gods name wrote that firmware?

And.......40 drive cycles to erase.

now to the issue. I have 7401 2001, such a beauty car. she is awesome!
I have lovingly restored the MOTOR from near death, ( the timingguide fracturing scenario). Besian systems VANOS kit etc etc etc.:thumbup:

Runs like a dream EXCEPT FOR THAT STUPID CODE!:mad:

K-RAP. is what I say

Anyway, I have replaced all 4 O2 sensors ( Bosch).

I have driven one complete cycle, and the last thing to set just before it triggered the MIL again was the Catalyst efficiency......just before it completed that cycle the reader indicated the car was "READY" for emissions testing. Alas, the "NEXT" Drive Cycle, is when it completed the Catalyst efficiency and triggered the MIL

Remember folks, BMW says the Drive cycle starts when the car is "COLD"

Also reading the Bentley, is and this is the part which confuses the Confucius outta me...... is this, "once repairs have been made, it made take up to three drive cycles to clear the MIL with the MIL on.

(MIL being Maintenance Indicator Light, or "CHECK ENGINE" light).

so what the heck? i have to drive many more times to see if the repairs I made are actually the "fix"?

That is crap, just crap.......Does not anyone have a diag tool which can IMMEDIATELY query the processor and determine if the correct telemetry is being seen?

seems like in our time now we should have some tool which can sense and change instantly vs. this drive cycle bunk.

The car runs FLAWLESSLY. I cannot bring to inspection, therefore my reg lapsed and it is driving me nuts!

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA how to resolve? Appreciate anyone's input.

(sorry for venting, just frustrated)

:confused:

Cheers! :drink:

CPNWRENCH

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,982 Posts
Move to a state that doesn't require inspections. That drive cycle crap is just so people don't clear the codes on the way to the inspector.

So you said you replaced the O2 sensors before you started driving and got the MIL again? Perhaps one of your cats is going bad. I've heard lots of bragging about the Elm327 bluetooth OBD-II and the Torque app, people watching all kinds of live data on their smartphone. I know the Peake reader just reads codes but a lot of others read live data so you have plenty of options to see what's going on.

·
Registered
12,361 Posts
What are you considering a "drive cycle"? First, the actual drive cycle is a FTP mandate (federal test protocol)...it wasn't determined by BMW. :)

Below is the specifics required to complete a drive cycle. The reason it may take several driving sessions is...if you don't know the specific tests...it may not be completed in a normal drive. Take note of the 4 tests performed on the top half of the chart, then look at the bottom half to see what area of the emmissions system is tested. Try to set a course on your local roads that will allow you to accomplish each test as described.

·
Wrenchin' guy
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, I had written a long an detailed reply to you Q and to U.nanimous..

guess I never selected "submit"

anyway. I already have that cycle chart.

I was curious as to see if there had been any development into tech which could isolate and validate honest repairs on the car and as such proper trigger code clear, faster.

guess not.

Also Bentley/BMW, state that after the repair on cat systems even if the MIL is lit, it will take at least three drive cycles before it will extinguish on its own, validating the repair. I reckon this is what i am going to have to wait on.

FYI, after each drive cycle I have done so far the CAT eff monitor has been decreasing.. for instance before I changed O2 sensors, it was reading 161. Max value according to ODBII spec is 59. I am now down to 90. So I am thinking continuous driving to recal the firmware each cycle.

oh well.

cheers! :drink:

cpnwrench

1 - 4 of 4 Posts