Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 545i

P0456 small evap leack. I've been getting this was telling me that the gas cap was loose. I checked it and it wasn't. I replaced the gas cap and I was fine for about 2 months, then I got the p0456 code again. What are the chances that i got a defective OEM gas cap?

Do these cars have a fuel filler rubber hose? Im thinking that might be the problem.

Has anyone done a smoke test before?

Can I use a fog machine (like the ones DJs use) for a smoke test?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
Haha i thought those were it. Looks dry..
I LOL'd. That would be a pretty crappy design, even by BMW's standards, if fuel leaked inside the passenger cabin and under the seat. :D
Might also check the Purge Valve unless your new oem gas cap also happens to be bad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I LOL'd. That would be a pretty crappy design, even by BMW's standards, if fuel leaked inside the passenger cabin and under the seat. :D
Might also check the Purge Valve unless your new oem gas cap also happens to be bad.
I thought so too haha

I'll take a look at the purge valve. I think ill replace tha gas cap again just to rule it out

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just looked up a new fuel cap and saw that there was a non venting option. Could this be the problem if the replacement cap is a venting one?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just looked up a new fuel cap and saw that there was a non venting option. Could this be the problem if the replacement cap is a venting one?

I cleared the code and replaced the cap. Ill keep this thread posted.

Did you not use an OEM replacement cap the first time? Did you the 2nd time?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts