BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#My first question is can my check engine light and abs light both be on for the same reason such as p0500 "speed sensor"?

If I clean my speed sensors with some crc electric cleaner (removes dirt , greas, & quick dries) will this possiablly fix the light ? My e39 is running good on freeway and streets. How can I clean them with this if its ok to use this? I got it at auto zone. It's the spray can not the paste

#2 - if I use "crc disc brake quiet" will this mess up my brakes ? They squek a bit but break good. It's the red bottle that sprays

#3 is Lucas upper cylinder lubricant good for my bmw with 200,000 miles. If so how do I use it ?

#4 What power steering fuild should I use for my 528i 1999?

#5 Do I need to use a special windshield wiper fluid or can I use regular ?

#6 What coolant should I use ? I plan on flushing it Tommorow

This is my first bmw. Hoping its not a money pit but got it for a pretty good price just needs a little TLC

·
TA
1,215 Posts
1- yes. Cleaning them sometimes helps. It won't hurt to try.
2- It won't mess things up. Just go easy with it. Make sure you clean the bushing pins.
3- It won't hurt, but likely won't do anything either.
4- DexVI ATF
5- Use anything you like for windshield washing fluid.
6- If you can get it, use the BMW stuff. It's probably a bit better and no more expensive. There is considerable debate on this on the forum.

Good Luck!

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
25,199 Posts
What coolant should I use ?
It's probably not a good idea to mix problems in a single thread, although I'm as guilty of that offense as anyone else is.

Typing /coolant F3 in the bestlinks answers all your questions, e.g.:
- Coolant: Coolant, for engine, automatic transmission, power steering, and AC evaporator cooling (1) & bleeding (1) (2) (3) or refilling DIYs (1)

·
25,199 Posts
What power steering fuild should I use for my 528i 1999?
It's rare that any "what fluid" question hasn't been asked and answered to death by now, so, most people won't even bother answering it since it has been answered 10,000 times before.

To find the answer, simply type /power steering fluid F3 in the best links, and this comes up, among others:

- PSF: Power steering fluid (1) (2) & power steering fluid flush DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) & volumes (1)

·
25,199 Posts
Do I need to use a special windshield wiper fluid or can I use regular ?
You can probably guess what I'm going to type (yes, I'm predictable that way) and you may have two reservoirs for windshield washer fluid.

To find the canonical links on the topic, please type /windshield washer fluid F3 in the best links.

This, among others, comes up:
- Windshield fluid: Windshield washer fluid (1)
- Intensive cleaner: Intensive cleaning system fluid (1)

·
25,199 Posts
if I use "crc disc brake quiet" will this mess up my brakes ? They squek a bit but break good. It's the red bottle that sprays
I researched the "proper" lubes and fluids to use in a brake job and published the results, which can be found by typing /brake F3 in the best links.

Of the many hits, this one strikes me as one the OP should read first:
- Exactly what lube/paste/fluid to use and not use in a four wheel brake job (1)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts