BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Bimmerfest, I cleaned my Idle Control Valve today to address some rough idling problems I had as well as rare stalling when I took my car out of gear (rpms would drop from around 1500 to 0, stall).

I took apart the intake hoses, airbox, MAF, and ICV, sprayed it down with some throttle body cleaner, and installed everything again. On startup, idles okay, around 650 to 700 rpm, but every 15 seconds it would climb up 100 rpm, until it rested around 1200 - 1300 rpm. I know this idle is high, and the car has warmed up and the idle has not dropped.

I initially thought it was my throttle cable, so I disconnected it from the harness to disable the throttle, but I didn't find any differences. Lastly, a P0505 was thrown (Idle Air Control).

Is this because I sprayed too much cleaner into the idle control valve? (I did use a flathead to adjust the blade inside in order to clean everything), perhaps my ICV is not installed flush? Do I need to buy a new ICV?

·
jcase
120 Posts
Try this...

Make sure there is a little slack in the control cable when the throttle body is completely closed.

Check for any contamination and free movement of the throttle body.

Turn the key-on-engine-off and press gas pedal to the floor 4 times to initialize the throttle body.

If there are no further problems, the vehicle should now run properly. If not, scan the system for faults and repair as needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts